Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

strange thing happened on our maiden voyage

We just completed a 10 day trip in Northern Ontario. We have a 2019 2108DS New unit never used before and everything off without a problem except one thing. One morning when we were moving we extended the jack to hook up to the truck and some grey water was leaking out the back under the bumper. This never happened again. The tank was near full however I wanted to know if there is an overflow or vent that may have overflowed or if it is a bigger problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Cath4996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are you sure it wasn't just run off from the roof?

I've never had my tanks very full because I dump before each tow, or soon thereafter, and have never stayed longer than two nights.
Old 09-24-2020, 04:56 PM   #3
Site Team

I’m not sure how much gray water you saw. Was it a lot?

It could be nothing or something bigger. Is the sewer hose stored in the bumper? Could it have been from there?

I doubt there is an overflow on top of the tank, but there is a vent pipe that goes to the roof. If the vent pipe is not properly attached to the tank then that could leak but you’d want to have this checked out ASAP.

Normally an over full gray tank backs up into the shower (!) - who said RVing wasn’t fun, eh?
Old 09-24-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I doubt there is an overflow on top of the tank, but there is a vent pipe that goes to the roof. If the vent pipe is not properly attached to the tank then that could leak but you’d want to have this checked out ASAP.
One way to do that on a DIY basis would be similar to what they do to check new construction plumbing. Once the system is basically empty, so that everything is clean (assuming you're not where you can dump dirty water), just fill it up until it does have a level inside the shower. Then just let it sit a while and see if the level drops or if you again notice water leaking outside.

Given RV dealers may be scheduling over a month out, that would be easier and faster.

(If you are where you can dump you could just fill the tank the rest of the way when it is near full, and save some water.)
Old 10-11-2020, 09:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

My rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cath4996 View Post
We just completed a 10 day trip in Northern Ontario. We have a 2019 2108DS New unit never used before and everything off without a problem except one thing. One morning when we were moving we extended the jack to hook up to the truck and some grey water was leaking out the back under the bumper. This never happened again. The tank was near full however I wanted to know if there is an overflow or vent that may have overflowed or if it is a bigger problem? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

In my rig, I've overflowed the fresh water tank before. But when the grey water tanks get full, it just backs up into the sinks and the shower. Likewise the black water tank, but that backs up into the toilet.
golden13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage