Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Strange(chemical like) smell when entering coach

Ok so our new to us 06 Meridian 39k is having some teething problems.
First thing was a blown inverter, which eventually led to the house batteries running flat. Should have know when the salesman told me 11.9 volts on the batteries was ok whilst charging ........
Anyway, now after a couple of weeks of camping, we have a strange smell inside the coach, just as you enter. It smells almost as if the chassis AC evaporator has a leak, but when you try to pin it down to the vents, it doesn't smell there, and the A/C still cools, so I suspect that it is not that, but it sure smells similar.
Anyone had a similar incident, or know how I can track down the source ?
I have been under the coach at the entry door, and nothing seems to be leaking, and there are no wet carpets inside either. I'm baffled
Any suggestions (other than to trade it in) are welcome..........
Magredvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

R134a coolant has no odor. The lube oil in the system might smell, but only reports I've heard of R134a odor is when it is overheated or burnt. Since you don't smell it at the vents, have you checked for battery outgassing? If overcharged or high rate of charge, batteries can give off odor.

Other smells from overheated electric components, like solenoid coils, etc. can also smell, but I really don't know what an "AC evaporator leak" smells like.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Ok so our new to us 06 Meridian 39k is having some teething problems.
First thing was a blown inverter, which eventually led to the house batteries running flat. Should have know when the salesman told me 11.9 volts on the batteries was ok whilst charging ........
Anyway, now after a couple of weeks of camping, we have a strange smell inside the coach, just as you enter. It smells almost as if the chassis AC evaporator has a leak, but when you try to pin it down to the vents, it doesn't smell there, and the A/C still cools, so I suspect that it is not that, but it sure smells similar.
Anyone had a similar incident, or know how I can track down the source ?
I have been under the coach at the entry door, and nothing seems to be leaking, and there are no wet carpets inside either. I'm baffled
Any suggestions (other than to trade it in) are welcome..........
Magredvet,
Congrats on your new to you coach. They're a nice unit. Now, let me tell you something that you more than likely already know, DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY SALESMEN! I mean, "11.9V", geeze, most first year high school auto class students know better than that.

Anyway, let me ASK you something now. Was that the original Inverter/charger that went south? And, if so, was it a "Dimensions 2000"? Those have had a bad wrap on here. While they may not be the best on the market, they have, and continue to, serve many folks on here very well.

Anyway, it's gone and you have a new one. May I ask another question, what is the make and model and specs of the new Inverter/Charger that you installed?

Many of those Inverter/Chargers are equipped to do what's called "Equalizing" in their battery charging operations. If you don't know what that is, I can explain later or, someone else will. But, in any case, some Inverter/Chargers, like the Dimensions 2000, have a built in clock that automatically sends that charging side into the Equalization stage.

When it does that, it sends a very high voltage to the batteries, to attempt to de-sulphate them. When that operation is happening, it quite often gets those batteries abnormally warm. And, when they get that hot, the start to boil. When that happens, you get FUMES!!!

And those fumes, can travel all throughout the coach. Now, does that mean that, that's what you're smelling, not sure. But, just for grins, I'd check those batteries (house) and see how they're doing. At least you could eliminate that from possibly causing the smell.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Strange(chemical like) smell when entering coach

Are you are taking about a kind of musty smell that comes from an AC when the evaporator does not drain well? If you are not smelling it at your supply vents try smelling at the return which is probably only inches from the drain pan. I hope it is there and not water somewhere else in the coach. Have you checked to see if water is dripping off of the outside roof from the AC draining? If able you may want to go up on the roof and make sure that the AC is draining. If not associated with the AC then I would start smelling around the obvious, sinks and showers.

Sent from my iPhone6 using iRV2 mobile
Robin, Carolyn and Maggie the Schnauzer - 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T, 2014 Smart Car Toad
Old 07-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBCCB View Post
Are you are taking about a kind of musty smell that comes from an AC when the evaporator does not drain well? If you are not smelling it at your supply vents try smelling at the return which is probably only inches from the drain pan. I hope it is there and not water somewhere else in the coach. Have you checked to see if water is dripping off of the outside roof from the AC draining? If able you may want to go up on the roof and make sure that the AC is draining. If not associated with the AC then I would start smelling around the obvious, sinks and showers.

Robin, Carolyn and Maggie the Schnauzer - 2015 Winnebago Vista 30T, 2014 Smart Car Toad
The OP said 'chassis air' which I took to mean dashboard. You did trigger another source of smell I've encountered in A/C systems, the drain from the dash air can get clogged and water can accumulate in the plenum. It can develop an odor, especially in a stored RV. I wouldn't describe it as a chemical odor, except for the fact that all odors are based on chemicals in the air.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:22 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The OP said 'chassis air' which I took to mean dashboard. You did trigger another source of smell I've encountered in A/C systems, the drain from the dash air can get clogged and water can accumulate in the plenum. It can develop an odor, especially in a stored RV. I wouldn't describe it as a chemical odor, except for the fact that all odors are based on chemicals in the air.

Yes, I missed chassis air but like you said same thing applies both can have odors. I hope it is one or the other and not due to water elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies so far.......
Let me clarify. On the smell front, we had an evaporator go bad on our Ram truck, and the smell when entering the cab was very similar, to this one, hence I thought the evaporator might be leaking, but it doesn't appear to eminate from the vents. You can only detect the smell when you first enter the coach, and stand on the fist step. It doesn't smell anywhere else, and I've tried the usual suspects (toilet, drains etc)
At first I thought it was wet carpet....but again, no wet carpet to be found. I know the musty smell caused by the evaporator drain clog, and again, it doesn't seem to be that. It really is a mystery
As far as the inverter, it was a dimensions 12x20 B31T or somesuch, and we still don't have the replacement yet, as the warranty co insisted we get a "direct" replacement that was difficult to source, so I have been using an external charger. As I hook that up every day I constantly check the batteries, so it is not coming from there either.
It has basement A/C, so it can't be the house A/C drains either.
Again, thanks for all the suggestions, and if y'all can think of anything else I'll try to work through them.
It is a weird smell and has only just started, when you sit inside, you can't detect it, but as soon as you leave, and go back in......there it is.........
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

I would also look around for any dead critters.
FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Could it be there is an electrical issue that caused the inverter/charger to fail? Voltage/amperage too high or low?
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Just for S&G's take off the fridge access and see if it smells there. Could be a slight leak in the coolant.
Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

If you smell it at your steps, if your coach batteries are under them, could be outgassing.

If you have any propane, could it be that. Maybe your detector isn't working. Turn off propane at tank to see if it goes away.

If you have a non-residential refrigerator, could be an ammonia leak. Smells like rotten eggs.

Could be dead rodent somewhere.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan

🎓 I always think I know more than I actually do! I'm not a 🚀 scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. 🏩
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Found it!
It was driving us nuts, so we decided to retrace our steps so to speak. The wife had recently bought a rug to keep the carpets clean, and she then cleaned it with carpet shampoo. Seems like the air was rushing out when we opened the door, carrying the smell of the cleaner with it. Removed the rug..smell gone !
Thanx to all who replied
Old 07-07-2015, 03:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magredvet View Post
Found it!
It was driving us nuts, so we decided to retrace our steps so to speak. The wife had recently bought a rug to keep the carpets clean, and she then cleaned it with carpet shampoo. Seems like the air was rushing out when we opened the door, carrying the smell of the cleaner with it. Removed the rug..smell gone !
Thanx to all who replied
thx for posting the fix, many do not.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I assume that particular shampoo is crossed off the next shopping list!!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 08:48 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Glad you found the problem, after our Demented inverter went south, we got a new one that was problem free for 8 years till we sold the coach.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:42 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Gents..............now it's on to the next problem..........Foggy passenger door window .......it's just like owning a house !

Tags
smell