Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi all, I have been reading and learning here for a few months. I am getting ready to winterize mine next month. I believe I have all the water systems down pat etc. But what are the suggestions on jacks up or down? and suggestions for covers? I live in new england and I bought mine used and the finish is not perfect but would like to keep it from getting worse. It is a 01 adventurer 35u.

By the way I have searched but unable to find anything yet...

01 adventurer 35U
tun75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi all, I have been reading and learning here for a few months. I am getting ready to winterize mine next month. I believe I have all the water systems down pat etc. But what are the suggestions on jacks up or down? and suggestions for covers? I live in new england and I bought mine used and the finish is not perfect but would like to keep it from getting worse. It is a 01 adventurer 35u.

By the way I have searched but unable to find anything yet...

01 adventurer 35U
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Welcome Bill, Enjoy this Forum, there are many options for this. I pump my tires up to the max. inflation rate as the cold weather will cause then to get low any way, park it on Trex and plywood, jacks down to take the weight off of the tires. Exersice the genny every month, don't start the MH engine after changing the oil. lube, filter and lubing all the fittings on the chassis, drive shaft, steering linkage etc. Put the batteries on a trickle charger, pink stuff in all the water lines, including the shower heads. wash,wax,sometimes cover sometimes not. It depends if we will use her during the winter or not. and just how windy it is at the time we want to put it on. If it's windy forget it! Clean the interior well and remove all food stuffs. There's more i'm sure, but heres a start. Good luck.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I always stored mine with jacks down to take some weight off the tires (and tires on vapor barriers & jacks on jack pads to avoid freezing to the ground ...jacks down is what HWH recommends.

After reading about others who had used covers, I never even considered covering mine due to the hassle of getting it on and off, and the abrasion on the finish that too often occurs from wind etc moving it around while of the MH. We rarely went a month without using ours, even if the water system was winterized. (You can carry drinking water, and we carried gallon jugs to flush with then dumped the tank and refilled traps w/antifreeze before going back into storage). If we did go over a month without using it, I went and took it for a "love ride" of about 45 minutes to exercise engine, tires, bearings, etc.
Old 10-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Well, I guess the consesus is jacks down. I was concerned about the internal portion of the jack being exposed to the elements for so long without and lube. I guess if nobody else had had a problem neither will I. I can always spray them evey so often. I never thought about the wind and abrasion from a cover. I was just thinking about the snow building up and then melting in the sun. Maybe jsut tire covers is the better bet.

Thanks for the input

Bill

01 adventurer 35U
Old 10-11-2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

AFChap,
I believe your post is the first time I have seen an HWH recommendation that the jacks be down during winter storage. Is that in print somewhere from them ??
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

IMHO, the jacks should be down any time the coach is parked for more than a day. If possible the jacks should be full retracted and extended at least once a month to keep the seals lubed.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">HWH recommendation that the jacks be down during winter storage. Is that in print somewhere from them ?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My reference is seminar with an HWH rep at 2006 GNR ...the question was asked about leaving jacks down during storage, could the surface rust, should we spray something on them, etc. After lots of talking back and forth with the group, the end result was "don't spray anything on them, the surface is a special metal that is not going to pit or rust, and leave them down because is what they are designed for."

I don't know if it is in print ...haven't studied my manuals that thoroughly.
Old 10-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

tun 75

I am also in MA just south of Boston, we usually have a frost by now but nothing close so far. I just purchased this my first MH and lovin it, I want to push the season as far as I can.

I have burst pipes and froze pumps in previous travel trailers which makes me a little more cautious these days.

It was about 40 last night....So it time to take some precautions. What is your plan of attack?

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

AF Chap

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I don't know if it is in print ...haven't studied my manuals that thoroughly. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I find no reference to storage in the HWH manual that came with my system. They do in a Note talk about periodic recycling of the jacks - no other reference I can find. Several years ago before I found IRV2, I thought HWH had said not to leave them extended for long periods of time. My memory may not be correct so that plus hearing verbally both do and don't from HWH (second hand) was the reason for my "is it in print" question.
j griff is offline   Reply With Quote