Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Smile Storage of Rv - Gas Tank level

I am getting ready to winterize my 99 Adven in a month or so depending on the weather as it gets the privilege of being stored outside in the weather.

I thought I'd pose the question:

How full does one keep the gas tank over the winter?

It's only a qtr full now and thought I'd fill it up which I usually do for the winter and add fuel stabilizer, then run the generator and engine to get the stabilizer thru the lines. I always believed this would eliminate any moisture from possibly accumulating in the tank, even though the stabilizer is in it.

But if I could save some dollars, I might try it.

What does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance.
99Adven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I don't have mine in storage in the winter now but when I did it was always kept Full. Less chance on condensation to form. Also always thru in a big bottle of Sta-bil.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99Adven View Post
I am getting ready to winterize my 99 Adven in a month or so depending on the weather as it gets the privilege of being stored outside in the weather.

I thought I'd pose the question:

How full does one keep the gas tank over the winter?

It's only a qtr full now and thought I'd fill it up which I usually do for the winter and add fuel stabilizer, then run the generator and engine to get the stabilizer thru the lines. I always believed this would eliminate any moisture from possibly accumulating in the tank, even though the stabilizer is in it.

But if I could save some dollars, I might try it.

What does everyone else do?

Thanks in advance.
What is this "winterize" you speak of?
kazeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
I'd fill it up which I usually do for the winter and add fuel stabilizer, then run the generator and engine to get the stabilizer thru the lines.
That's what we do. Run the genny under load - at least 50%. Also we don't just run the engine, we take the coach on a drive long enough to get it up to operating temp so there's no condensation anywhere. Then we put her to bed for the winter. Come spring, she's starts right up, no problems.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I always believed this would eliminate any moisture from possibly accumulating in the tank, even though the stabilizer is in it.
Moisture is no longer a problem in gasoline because almost all gas contains ~10% alcohol.

Years ago one had to dump "dry gas" in their tank for moisture. Dry Gas is 100% alcohol.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #6

Fill the tank and add StaBil ethanol fuel stabilizer (if your gasoline is oxygenated). This prevents phase separation between the gasoline and ethanol. Run the engine and generator to ensure that the stabilizer gets into the fuel injection system and carburetor respectively.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

The last two winters I have parked my motorhome for 6 months. I put in Sta-Bil and then top up the gas tank. My thinking is that the Sta-Bil mixes better this way. Then I tun the motor and generator for a half hour or so and park it. I do not start it up again until I am ready to leave. It has started easily each spring.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
The last two winters I have parked my motorhome for 6 months. I put in Sta-Bil and then top up the gas tank. My thinking is that the Sta-Bil mixes better this way. Then I tun the motor and generator for a half hour or so and park it. I do not start it up again until I am ready to leave. It has started easily each spring.
X2

While there is at least 10% alcohol in most gas, topping off the tank helps ensure that moisture is kept to a minimum. There is no reason to not fill the tank up...especially if fuel prices are low at the time you are ready to park it.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #9

Store with the tank full;; Gas/fuel still collects water/condencation. Who said bacause of the stuff they put in it it don't collect water. well why do I need to drain water off my FILTER;;; Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I would store it with a full tank of gas to reduce the chance of condensation. I have never used Sta-Bil in any of my vehicles so I am not sure if it is really needed. I have vehicles that sit for months at a time that have never shown any ill effects from bad gas, but I don't live in an area that have a long winter season so I am not sure how cold weather exposure will affect your gasoline. I am just not a fan of gasoline additives so I choose not to use them. My last motorhome sat for 5 years with a full tank of gas with no additive and was driven home by its new owner 40 plus miles without an issue. This is just my opinion and experiences, so it is not scientific.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Gas tank for storage

I don't know the answer but this is what our mechanic just told us when asked if we should fill the gas tank.

" Don't fill the tank because it is more gas that can go bad. Most gasolines contain 10-15% ethanol. Ethanol is a biodegradable product and break down faster than than petrol, therefore if you have an entire tank that broke down that is a lot of $$ to have to empty. If there is only a small amt of old gas, then when you fill up the first time in the spring, the dilution is much lower. Therefore, less problems."

I'm not a mechanic, I'm just sharing what we were told by a well respected and trusted mechanic.

Lesie Mike
2003 Winnebago MInnie Class C 29'
Leslie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Mike I would find a new mechanic fast.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

99Adven.... I add the proper amount of Stabil to my fuel....always. Our huge machines store up to 70+gallons of fuel and the Ethanol in that gas breaks down starting the moment it is produced. The Stabil (I use the purple Marine type) really help prevent rusting and other ethanol type fuel storage issues. At every fill where I am in home port ending my trip....in goes my 2-4 ounces.... hopefully I will never have droplets puddling in my tank. I do store my tank full over the winter.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

When I had a pontoon boat, and it was stored from mid October until May, I always filled the tank and used Stabil for ethanol gas. That was what the local boatyard service dept. suggested. There is also those that prefer to store with as little gas as possible and then fill prior to starting in the spring. With boat motors, that can be ok because you can install a water separator in the fuel system. With a motorhome, I'd fill the tank and use Stabil for ethanol gas. Sea Foam is another product that gets good reviews.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Steve N Sal X2
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, storage, tank