Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

steer safe question

I am wondering if anyone has installed a steer safe system on a 2003 wine adventurer 35u.If so, what is your opinion of it. I am hoping to get better handling. thanks
kenm25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm25 View Post
I am wondering if anyone has installed a steer safe system on a 2003 wine adventurer 35u.If so, what is your opinion of it. I am hoping to get better handling. thanks
What chassis are you on? If Ford would be similar to mine (see my signature info) and I have installed Steer Safe. It provides some improvements in steering - mostly helping with the push of passing trucks and wind. A biggie for such a device is the safety assist in the case of a tire blow out.

If Ford chassis, check out the various post here regarding CHF (cheap handling fix - moving the sway bar links from outer to inner whole) and about rear track bars. I have done these as well and made substantial improvements in handling.

That said, the very first things to are to ensure proper tire inflation based upon actual weight, load balancing via weighing, alignment, and to check for any wear of steering/suspension/bushings/etc. Only then add aftermarket items.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

thanks for the reply. i should have said it is a workhorse with an 8.i motor
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm25 View Post
thanks for the reply. i should have said it is a workhorse with an 8.i motor
Then my paragraphs 1 and 3 apply, 2 not so much.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:32 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Installed a Steer Safe on my last coach, ( 1999 F53 chassis ) and cant say it did anything as far as handling.
Old 10-23-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

I had a Safe-T-Steer installed on my rig and I feel it helped alot. Much less road wander and see/saw of the wheel while driving down the hiway. Makes long drives more enjoyable for me.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I installed a TruCenter and it made a huge difference in how it drives.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Winnebago Watcher

thanks old dude66
iam thinking about that option also
Old 10-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Lit
Winnebago Watcher

I installed a Steer Safe system on my Workhorse, I went the less costly route because I didn't want to spend a lot of money if it didn't work as expected. I'm very pleased, no more white knuckle steering making any trip at the wheel less stressful. If you do some searching on this group you'll find out many people have different likes and dislikes.
Lit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Steer Safe is a good product. Installed it on my first motorhome because the front axle was a beam. Worked great. I have read reports of folks having the occasional issue of some sort and the factory is very eager to satisfy the customer.

I am on my third coach. The last one was independant suspension. This one is back to the beam. I am considering it but Freightliner has done something to this chassis that makes it very easy to drive. In any case you could not invert better for your safety and driving quality improvement.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #11

I vote for TruCenter.

It is the closet in operation that you can purchase today that would be similar to the excellent Howard Power Center Steering System .

I tired to find a used HPCS system but no one wanted to give theirs up.

I finally installed the TruCenter a couple of weeks back.

Absolutely love it.

I also installed a foot switch for the TruCenter. I figured that if I ever have a front tire blow-out, with two hands on the wheel I can use my left foot to activate the TruCenter which will help me to control the front end by keeping it from going off the road.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I installed a SteerSafe on an older (88) Itasca on a GM chassis one time and it seemed to help with holding the road better, but I was not overly impressed. I recently installed a SafeTPlus unit on my present motorhome and I am very pleased with the results. Driving is much easier now.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I vote for TruCenter.

Absolutely love it.

I also installed a foot switch for the TruCenter. I figured that if I ever have a front tire blow-out, with two hands on the wheel I can use my left foot to activate the TruCenter which will help me to control the front end by keeping it from going off the road.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Richard ... will you explain about the foot switch? Does the switch turn the unit on/off? Or does it work in parallel with the switch on the dashboard that sets the centering for the wheel? Also, what kind of switch did you use? I am picturing something like the old foot-operated headlight dimmer switches that were common in cars years ago. Any chance you have a picture you could attach?

Thanks,
Jack
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I had SS on my last MH a W-20 chassis. Installed myself.
Also had it on my 93 and 97 Chevy P chassis. Made a big difference.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post

Richard ... will you explain about the foot switch? Does the switch turn the unit on/off? Or does it work in parallel with the switch on the dashboard that sets the centering for the wheel? Also, what kind of switch did you use?

Any chance you have a picture you could attach?

Thanks,
Jack
Jack,

The foot switch is simply another momentary switch like the ones that were supplied with the TruCenter installation kit.

Linemaster T-91-S Treadlite II Foot Switch, Electrical, Single Pedal, Momentary, SPDT, No Guard, Black: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

It is wired in parallel to the existing switch that goes to the timer control board.

I can now use the dash board switch or the foot switch however, I think once I start using the foot switch it will be difficult to go back to the dash switch because of its location.

When I want the TruCenter to activate, I simply step on the foot switch for a second or two and release.

I got the idea from people that have a foot switch for either their exhaust brake or compression brake.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TruCenter Switch-03.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	48891   Click image for larger version

Name:	TruCenter Switch-04.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	266.4 KB
ID:	48892  

Click image for larger version

Name:	TruCenter Switch-02.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	48893  
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM   #16
Winnebago Master

TruCenter is fine if it fits your chassis. According to the "Fit" chart on the Blue OX website my chassis is not made for it. I will have to contact them to see if it will work. I like the centering correction feature in strong crosswinds and the road drift compensation (assumed by me).
Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

TruCenter is fine if it fits your chassis. According to the "Fit" chart on the Blue OX website my chassis is not made for it. I will have to contact them to see if it will work. I like the centering correction feature in strong crosswinds and the road drift compensation (assumed by me).
Talk directly with Mike Thelander @ Blue-Ox. He will give you the correct TruCenter as there are two, one @ 160 lb's and one @ 270 lbs. Then also have him give you the correct mounting bracket number for your front axle.

http://www.blueox.com/p-1153-trucenter.aspx

[email protected]

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 11-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Thanks, Richard. I emailed them and got the correct part numbers. At the moment it must remain on my wish list. More pressing issues to address.

Rick
Old 11-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

I have a Steer Safe on my Aspect. It made a huge difference in handling. Well worth the money, IMO.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

I was thinking about the steer safe for my Winnebago Vista. I would imagine that I will pay a small fortune in broker fees once the item comes into Canada. That's the problem when you live in Canada. It would be great if I could walk into a store in the Buffalo area to purchase the product.
rottenkid is offline   Reply With Quote