Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone been plagued with someone siphoning fuel from their motorhomes yet?

I'm seeking advice on which is the best locking gas cap to buy. I'm sure that this is a problem that is sure to come with the fuel prices.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone been plagued with someone siphoning fuel from their motorhomes yet?

I'm seeking advice on which is the best locking gas cap to buy. I'm sure that this is a problem that is sure to come with the fuel prices.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #3

I just ordered a Workhorse gas cap at 2 1/2 times the price of a typical Stant gas cap. I haven't had a problem so far, but who knows when someone will get brave enough. (My MH is at a RV storage lot.)

Last week, the T.V. news kindly showed everyone how easy it is to rip-off motorhomes by breaking the gas cap and cutting the fuel line... and they showed the clip at 5, 6 and 11 pm so no one would miss it.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Some vehicles have blocks in the fuel filler tube but as Richard said the RV is an easy one to crawl under and drain the fuel from the line.
I was reading on one forum the guy was not only afraid of someone siphoning the gas but wanted to prevent the ex from dumping sugar in lol
ctcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #5
JC2
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Richard 34A:
I just ordered a Workhorse gas cap at 2 1/2 times the price of a typical Stant gas cap. I haven't had a problem so far, but who knows when someone will get brave enough. (My MH is at a RV storage lot.)

Last week, the T.V. news kindly showed everyone how easy it is to rip-off motorhomes by breaking the gas cap and cutting the fuel line... and they showed the clip at 5, 6 and 11 pm so no one would miss it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is exactly why I put socalled news people in the same category as rv/car salesman.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Around here they just drill a hole in the bottom of tank.Allso they seal your license plate. They put them on there vechicle go into a gas station fill up and run. Guess who gets a vist. State troop put out that bulletin.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

See, there's the difference right there.... In So. Cal. you can't get air in your tires without paying for it first.....

Sarge

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

And it's filtered so as not to disturb the tire Karma..

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Well, at least the supreme court said we can keep our guns for the time being. so we should re-institute the code of the old west. When wronged or threatened shoot. The only thing these thieving animals understand.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hans, my German Shepard put the bite on a couple of teens that were trying to siphon gas from my pickup last Saturday night. They ran into my equipment shed where Hans kept them until I showed up with Smitty (Smith & Wesson).

About 20 minutes after our call the county mounty showed up. One of those boys won't be sitting down for a while and both are in the slammer.
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 05:53 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Our Adventurer came with a door over the gas fill with a non keyed turn to latch knob. I replaced the latch a couple years ago with a keyed lock.

Granted the door can be broken, but like any type of securtiy system it only makes yours less appealing to the crooks.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teach:
Hans, my German Shepard put the bite on a couple of teens that were trying to siphon gas from my pickup last Saturday night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does Hans have any off-spring? I'm afraid my Lab would lead them to the fuel tank and lick them in the face while they were filling up their cans...

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

I think Hans need an extra portion of steak tonight.

Ken
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Teach:
Hans, my German Shepard put the bite on a couple of teens that were trying to siphon gas from my pickup last Saturday night. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Does Hans have any off-spring? I'm afraid my Lab would lead them to the fuel tank and lick them in the face while they were filling up their cans... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, there's alot of those around Craig! I just hope mine scares them away when they first get a glimpse of her. Otherwise, she'll be running the "lick me" line too.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Hans, my German Shepard put the bite on a couple of teens that were trying to siphon gas from my pickup last Saturday night.....Hans kept them until I showed up with Smitty (Smith & Wesson).
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hans & Smitty!!! Now that's a good team
Old 06-30-2008, 09:30 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Well, now one of the boy's parents is threatening to sue me for the damages to their kid's posterior. (This morning they tried to get Hans labelled as a menace/biter. Judge refused, said Hans doing his job, plus have a "Beware of Dog" sign posted at entrance.)
Teach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Someone needs to explain to them they were luckey it was Hans and not Smitty doing a job on thier little darling.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Someone needs to explain to them they were luckey it was Hans and not Smitty doing a job on thier little darling. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
EXACTLY what I was thinking! Tell 'em they should give Hans a reward for keeping their little darling from being shot!!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:04 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Last month an Indianapolis cable TV guy returned to his van just in time to see the thief walking away with a can of his gas. The thief punched a hole in the gas tank, caught all he could, then left the rest on the pavement under the van.
Teach, that's the kind of parents that raise delinquents, who often grow up to be ex-cons.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote