Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I will be storing my diesel (CAT 350) until February. Do you normally add stabilizer to the fuel tank?
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I will be storing my diesel (CAT 350) until February. Do you normally add stabilizer to the fuel tank?
Eric Hennen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I do. I use Stabil. Putting mine in storage tomorrow and when I fill up on the way there I'll put in the Stabil.

I usually let the generator run for 20-30 minutes on the way down to get the Stabil into its filter and fuel line.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I always used Biobor JF on the boat - we would be in the slip for months at a time between trips. We had an algae problem in the boat diesel tank once and that was a nasty problem.

We use the coach frequently enough to where I don't use any additive in the fuel tank.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:19 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
I do. I use Stabil. Putting mine in storage tomorrow and when I fill up on the way there I'll put in the Stabil.

I usually let the generator run for 20-30 minutes on the way down to get the Stabil into its filter and fuel line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may certainly be incorrect, but Stabil is for gasoline engines only. Do they make an additive under the Stabil label for diesels?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 03:48 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

My understanding is that Stabil is for gasoline engines only.

I store my coach from Nov thru March. I use a winter anti-gel stabilizer. With the onset of ULSD I belive the jury is still out which stabilizer for diesel fuel is best. I'm still waiting for the reviews.

Last winter here in Rochester, NY, the school districts had terrible problems with the diesel fuel jelling and clogging the fuel filters running ULSD. Not sure what they did to fix the problem, but schools were actually shut down for days until they fixed the problem.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Smith Mountain Lake Ranger,

You've got me wondering now. I'm sure it said diesel on it, but I threw the bottle away today when I put it in. I've used it for three winter storages now and never had a problem with getting the hog started.

I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm at Wal-Mart. That's where I've always bought it.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 11-07-2007, 02:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CHIPPYSGT:
Smith Mountain Lake Ranger,

You've got me wondering now. I'm sure it said diesel on it, but I threw the bottle away today when I put it in. I've used it for three winter storages now and never had a problem with getting the hog started.

I'll try to remember to check the next time I'm at Wal-Mart. That's where I've always bought it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use StaBil in my boat, lawn mower and golf car. When I got this DP, I checked the StaBil website and they only reference its use in gasoline engines. I use Power Service in the DP which you can also get at Walmart.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pusherman:
--snip--
Last winter here in Rochester, NY, the school districts had terrible problems with the diesel fuel jelling and clogging the fuel filters running ULSD. Not sure what they did to fix the problem, but schools were actually shut down for days until they fixed the problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don - I thought all of the fuel in the North switched to #1 for the winter. We were at a gas station last fall somewhere in South Dakota (or was it Montana..) and the pump had about three choices of diesel depending on the low temperature you were anticipating.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:42 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Based on some reading, there may be 2 different types of Stabil. I use Stabil for my gas engines. I just checked the bottle and this one is for gasoline or gasoline/ethanol blends only. There could be a separate one for diesel, but I've never seen Stabil for diesel.

John -- I do know that several of the school districts in Rochester have converted their busses to the DPF systems to reduce emissions (state grant), so they are using ULSD. The fuel filters gelled up during our late January cold snap, causing the busses to not run. After some research, the districts did something to the fuel to prevent the gelling, but I don't know what they did.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

As I understand it;

Gasoline stabilizers are usually BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)a food preservative (yummy). And we're worried about a little lead.

Diesel treatments are a pesticide mixed with kerosene and not usually needed unless diesel is stored for many months.

The winter diesel filter clogging we had here in Minnesota was caused by the biodiesel glycerins (not properly refined biodiesel) coagulating.

We use to mix 50% # 1 diesel with 50% # 2 diesel for our coldest months here in mid Minnesota. Now we have "winterized diesel" down to a posted temperature. We're currently winterized for -10F and on Dec 2 we'll drop to a -30F mix.

We still have people who top off there diesels with # 2 and put the car away for the winter, fly to Florida, but come back for Christmas and you'll see them on the side of the road with a jelled fuel filter singing a convoluted version of "Silent Night".
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Howe's Diesel Treat is what I used when I had the Horizon.
Check here:http://www.howeslube.com/site/

How much good does it do? Its like STP etc. I don't think it hurts but I am not sure of the results.
Howe's does have a good reputation..Good Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 09:10 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

I just went to Wal-Mart and looked at the Stabil. Gasoline only. I guess I've been lucky with no problems so far. The winters arent' terrible here and I'm choosy about where I get fuel, so here's hoping it will make it through this winter with a gasoline additive.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I checked an old bottle of Stabil I had on the shelf. It listed diesel along with the other fuels on the label. The new, unopened bottle I have does not and the formulations on the label are different.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:27 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Thanks FleetMan.

I was sure I had put some Stabil in that said it was for use in a diesel engine. Now I can cancel my appointment with the shrink!

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 11-10-2007, 04:31 AM   #16
GG1
Winnie-Wise

I spoke to a company rep from Sta-bil, www.goldeagle.com I was told to use it in gas or diesel 1 qt for 80 gallons.
Old 11-10-2007, 06:24 AM   #17
Winnie-Wise

I think I'm not going to worry about it. Next time I'll buy something that says diesel on the bottle.

'05 Meridian 36G
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
I have been useing Power Service products as an additive since ULSD came into being. It has stablizer and increases cetane and lubricity to compensate for lack of same from ULSD. I find the engine starts much easier when cold and so far I have had no problems.

Power Service has two products I use depending on the season. For winter driving I use their "Diesel Fuel Supplement + Cetane Boost w/ SlikDiesel" (product info). For summer I use "Diesel Kleen + Cetane Boost w/ SlikDiesel" (product info).

Both are available at Wal-Mart. The 3 quart bottle is about $15. You add a quart per 100 gallons of fuel.

Another well like product is "Stanadyne Peformance Formula". Some of my RV DP friends use it for driving and storage. I think its a little pricey but it does have some nice features for treating #2 diesel for extended storage and have used it a couple of times.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote