Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

In our 2002 Brave the case around the television is made of a plastic material. In cool weather as you drive it makes a nerve rattling squeaky noise. I'm wondering if any one else has had this and if so if they corrected it how did they do it?

Thanks
captgadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In our 2002 Brave the case around the television is made of a plastic material. In cool weather as you drive it makes a nerve rattling squeaky noise. I'm wondering if any one else has had this and if so if they corrected it how did they do it?

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 08:26 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

We had the same problem with our 2003 Adventurer. I finally got smart enough to remove the plastic molding that surrounds the front of the TV and found that the metal strap that clamps the TV down was quite loose. Snugging the adjustment nut down a few turns and putting a lock nut on top of the adjustment nut eliminated this really annoying squeak. Be careful not to get carried away and over tighten the strap.
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have never had this problem but if I did I'd try and squirt a little silicon spray in the area that squeaks.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NASAGuy:
We had the same problem with our 2003 Adventurer. I finally got smart enough to remove the plastic molding that surrounds the front of the TV and found that the metal strap that clamps the TV down was quite loose. Snugging the adjustment nut down a few turns and putting a lock nut on top of the adjustment nut eliminated this really annoying squeak. Be careful not to get carried away and over tighten the strap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like good advice....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

If you are talking about a rattle when you're going down the road, I had the same problem from day one. If it is truly just a squeak, then read no further. The Brave's front TV rattled as we went along our merry way on each trip for the entire first year. After each trip we returned to the dealer for warranty service. The shop foreman was always presented with a punch list and item No. 1 was to eliminate the annoying rattle in front TV. Each time we were told they had fixed the problem. To solve the problem their approach was to retighten the retaining bolts, added foam between the TV and the frame, add additional screws in the plastic bezel, etc.. Sometimes the rattle would not reappear for a few miles down the road. When the bumper – bumper warranty expired after a year, I decided to attack the problem myself. After removing the plastic bezel, the cause of the problem was very evident. The two bolts used to secure the TV retaining straps were both loose. In fact one nut and bolt was missing. The nuts used by Winnebago are of the self-locking NYLOC type. Normally this style of nut works very well for this type of application. However, this time they failed to perform as designed. The solution was a few cents worth of Loctite thread locker. After tightening the nuts with the addition of the Loctite the rattle was gone. That was over 15,000 miles ago. WE do notice an occasional squeak, but I can live with that.

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Same problem on my 03 Brave. I just loosened the bolts on the bottom of the plastic housing. I figured the plastic housing was rubbing on either the TV or the retaining straps. Seems to have worked.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I had a squeaky television in my 2000 Minnie Winnie that was very irritating. I also took the framing and hold downs apart, inserted rubber and foam and it still squeaked. I finally took the TV out and found that the TV casing was actually the culprit. The picture tube was moving and rubbing the plastic frame where there was no rubber gasket. (TV wasn't designed to be bumping around I guess) I ultimately put a little silicone caulking between the tube and plastic and that took care of it. Unusual and probably not your problem, but throwing it out there just in case you are ready to throw the towel in.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:58 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

OK Jim_L - You get the prize for the most unusual squeak fix. Who would have guessed the internal components of the TV were bouncing around. Good job!
It seem obvious that the various Winnebago products(Adventurer, Brave,etc) use different TV hold down schemes so the approach to fixing a loose strap type squeak will vary slightly. If there is a plastic rubbing plastic type of squeak them a shot of silicone spray could very well ease the problem.
I think I am squeaked out for the day.

NASAGuy
NASAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I've had a squeaky problem in the same area from day one. Dealer always says it is fixed...for couple of hundred miles...then it squeaks again. I've had the plastic frame off, the metal bracket on top tightened, double nutted, lock tited...and it all squeaks again. Finally, I discovered it was squeaking from the center mounted speaker that is hanging under the tv, the plastic surround on the BOTTOM of the cabinet was rubbing with the metal frame that supports the tv. Everything was very tightly held by the speaker brackets...so I jammed some foam pipe insulation in the area between the plastic and metal and seems to have cured the problem...If yours continue to squeak, you may want to look at this area too.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Gosh! Almost 2 many ideas. The strap is tight because I tightened that sucker down with some locktite on it. I tried to get it loose and I couldn't even get it loosened. Right now I have the frame off and I will try it that way. If the squeak is still there then it's evident it's one of the other suggestions I need to check over.

Thanks a million for all the ideas.

Don
Old 03-20-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
Administrator Emeritus

Five posts since February of 2000???

W e have to "work" on that!!!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I had a squeaky TV on our Voyage. Thought it was the strap tightened it...squeak still there. I tool out the TV and started pushing on things and found the squeak in about 2 seconds. There is a metal rail that is connected to the frame of the TV shelf with bolts. The bolts were loose enough to cause a metal to metal squeak. I tightened them and 6000 miles later still no squeak.
Jonny
jonny33v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:28 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

I have a noise (not a squeak) that I describe as sounding like metal against glass occasionally on a very rough road - appears to be coming from the TV.

Attempted to remove the wood framing from around the TV, but could not detach it from the plastic bezel around the bottom of the set. Removed the four screws from the wood part, and it does begin to slide downward, but haven't figured out how to release it from the plastic part?

It's an '04 Meridian 36G. Any ideas?
RedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NASAGuy:
We had the same problem with our 2003 Adventurer. I finally got smart enough to remove the plastic molding that surrounds the front of the TV and found that the metal strap that clamps the TV down was quite loose. Snugging the adjustment nut down a few turns and putting a lock nut on top of the adjustment nut eliminated this really annoying squeak. Be careful not to get carried away and over tighten the strap. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry to be slow but how does one remove the moulding from the front of the TV?
Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

If it's the same as our 01 Adventurer (we've had the same problem) there are 2 screws on the bottom of the front moulding and one on each side near the top. You have to open the compartment on either side of the tv to get to the upper ones.

On our coach the upper ones were about 1 1/2" long and difficult to remove. Once the screws are removed the plastic moulding can be removed. It takes a little patience since when the screws go through the plastic they tend to deform it slightly. Its a bit of a tight fit between the cabinets and the remaining section of the plastic surround.

Ours had double sided tape between the top of the tv and the bracket. Over time the bracket had gotten loose enough to rub part of the tape away. I removed the bracket and the remaining tape. I replaced the tape wit 1 1/2" wide industrial velcro. No problems since the repair.