Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Spot X glass cleaner...

I left my motorhome in an area where sprinklers hit it for a couple of weeks. It made me sick when I looked at the water spots on the paint and on the glass. I have been working in my spare time to get the spots off of the paint with rubbing compound (mild) but the glass had me worried because nothing would touch it. A friend told me about a product called Spot X and I bought a bottle on Amazon. It comes with two pads and instructions. I used it today and my glass is like new! I usually end up with a product that doesn't work like they say it will, but this time, I am thrilled with the results! Just thought some of you out there might find this interesting.
Steve
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramzfan View Post
I left my motorhome in an area where sprinklers hit it for a couple of weeks. It made me sick when I looked at the water spots on the paint and on the glass. I have been working in my spare time to get the spots off of the paint with rubbing compound (mild) but the glass had me worried because nothing would touch it. A friend told me about a product called Spot X and I bought a bottle on Amazon. It comes with two pads and instructions. I used it today and my glass is like new! I usually end up with a product that doesn't work like they say it will, but this time, I am thrilled with the results! Just thought some of you out there might find this interesting.
Steve
Ramzfan,
Nice to know about any product that does what it claims it's supposed to. Water spots have been a problem since the beginning of time. I've had to work so incredibly hard in removing them from all of our boats over the years as well as the all the rest of the vehicles we've owned. But, the answer was simple and it's very common on this earth. VINAGER!

I hate water spots. So much so, that I just recently, as in the last week, spend almost $370.00, at Costco on line, to purchase their CR Spotless water system, Deionized water car wash system. Now, recently purchased toad, a 2011 GMC Sierra Extended Cab 4x4 is Fire engine Red. The paint, was neglected for quite a while before we purchased the truck. It took me nearly a week, of washing, rubbing out, claying, more rubbing out, more claying, waxing, more waxing, more claying etc. to get that paint to where it's smooth as glass, even better than glass. It's now show quality. I can put a drop of water in the middle of the hood and the entire drop will roll off.

But, even with the paint in that condition, when the truck is washed, it will hold water. And, in that case, with our water here, out of the hose, you better dry it quickly. So, in comes the Deionized water system. Well, I washed the truck as normal, rinsed it with the garden hose and, then, rinsed it again with the Deionized system. What was really tough for me, was to "walk away" from a completely wet truck. But, I did it.

Now this was in the morning, temp around 70+ degrees. I left it sit there, in the sun, about two hours. By the time I went out to look at it, it was about 85 degrees. Guess what, not one water spot. That is with the exception of about a dozen, rather large ones, on one corner of the roof. Apparently I'd not done a thorough job of rinsing the roof with the Dio system. I thought no big deal. I figured my paint was so nice that I'd just "Wax" those spots off in a heartbeat. WRONG It was amazing how hard those spots were on there. Wax didn't even phase them.

So, I broke out the Vinager/water spray bottle. I sprayed it on to those spots and, got down to get a new micro fiber towel to dry it off. They were completely gone in a matter of seconds. And, with very little labor.

So, that's my little contribution to your situation. So, if you run out of yur product, and you've got some vinegar hanging around, mix up about a 50/50 solution and spray it on them. Let it sit for about a few seconds and then, wipe them off.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What, exactly, do you mean by "claying"?
Old 09-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

FireUp, I tried using Vinegar on the spots...it did some good, but the majority of spots could still be seen and felt. With this stuff, the glass is as smooth as a baby's butt.
Steve
Old 09-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Chillybilly,Using a clay bar will usually get all the oxidation, etc. off of a painted vehicle.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Barkeeper's Friend is very good at removing water spots from glass, I don't know about paint. Barkeeper's contains oxalic acid. We used to use oxalic acid to remove rusty well water stains on our house.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I still don't know what a clay bar is! Where can I purchase it? What do I ask for? Can I use it on multiple surfaces? How do I use it?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillbilly View Post
I still don't know what a clay bar is! Where can I purchase it? What do I ask for? Can I use it on multiple surfaces? How do I use it?
Here ya go.

http://www.autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Barkeeper's Friend is very good at removing water spots from glass, I don't know about paint. Barkeeper's contains oxalic acid. We used to use oxalic acid to remove rusty well water stains on our house.
Don't use Barkeeper's Friend on painted metal! I used it on the side of my son's TT and had to re-paint the area. It will take the paint down to bare metal!
Old 09-16-2013, 06:17 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Clifftail! I had never heard of this but I'm definitely going to try it. My coach is an 'o4 but it looks new. If it can look better, I'll spend the effort.