Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Found a new way to get a spot free rinse on my Sunrise. Bought a home garden sprayer and filled it with distilled water. Used 4 gallons at .62 per gallon and it worked great. Paid $23 for a gallon sprayer at Home Depot. Washed, rinsed, then a final with the garden sprayer. No spots.
DennisLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Found a new way to get a spot free rinse on my Sunrise. Bought a home garden sprayer and filled it with distilled water. Used 4 gallons at .62 per gallon and it worked great. Paid $23 for a gallon sprayer at Home Depot. Washed, rinsed, then a final with the garden sprayer. No spots.
DennisLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

First of all, welcome to the forum!! You will find alot of good people here and good info also.

Thank you for sharing your tip. Another way of keeping the spot down is to get a Mr. Clean system at Walmart. It might work out alittle more expensive than your way though.

So that we can let more people know your tip, i am gonna copy this over to General Discussion since it relates to all who have RV's and not just Winnebago's.

Again, welcome to the forum

Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Great tip Dennis. Thanks!! One could use RO water too, if no distilled available.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

A few weeks ago Jimmy (Mouser) a member here had told me he used Jet Dry in the water when he washed his rig and it came out looking awesome.

I have very hard water and always have bad spots. So this past weekend I tried it and it defiantly improved the spots, but I was rinsing with my hard water so it was not perfect. I will say that the rig definitely looked better than it ever did with any other wash I have done though. There where no streaks, and the paint look perfectly clear.

I bought a small electric pressure washer from Sam's Club for about $90 and is much easier to use than my big gas one when washing the rig. It has a suction hose on it and next time I will try using Jet Dry to rinse and see out that works. Either way I will be adding some jet dry to the wash water from now on.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Hey Dennis....Welcome to the forum !!

80 degrees here today,spent the afternoon away from the keyboard....Came back and the "boss" is here....(Warpath)....

Enjoy yourself Dennis, take a look around the different forum topics....Lots of good information and good friends too!!

(Was just on the cell for over an hour with Big Trace....who I MET on this forum....NEAT!!)

WELCOME!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Interesting idea about jet-dri! Question though. What concentration/ratio is used? Thank you
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just to add my two cents here, spots are the result of minerals and deposits that your water leaves after it is dry. Most of the solutions that have been discussed here can work, however not perfectly. Unless you completely remove the deposits, you will still have spots. The trick is two-fold. You must WASH the MH with a very good soap (I use Meguiars Gold and can be bought at Costco or Sam's) to remove as much of the dirt as possible. The, rinsing the MH with De-Ionized Water is the best. No impurities. I recommend rinsing, washing, then rinsing all with de-ionized water. Even the soap bucket should have de-ionized water. Here is a good system that is portable and affordable CR Spotless. The bottom line is about $15 per wash, but depending on how often you wash your rig, it is a bargain. It works well on everything, windows, sidewalls, chrome etc. My entire neighborhood (about 10 MH users) has this system and it works very well. If you have full body paint, this is a must as the spots are much more easily seen.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:28 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I like a good looking, spot-free vehicle but as I get older, I'm willing to live with some compromise. I use the Mr. Clean deal on the cars but the MH is a bit much for that little gizmo. So, wife gave me a California Blade auto squeege on an extension handle. I can remove most of the water from the rig with that, followed by a wipe of what I miss with an Absorber cloth. It looks good (good enough) when I'm done. We have a water softener/acid neutralizer at home but the outside faucets are plumbed to bypass that.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

BigTrace,
I have been pondering the purchase of the CR Spotless system and just ordered the free information packet. How many times can you wash your motor home on a set of cartridges? I like the Idea of not having to stop and dry sections when I wash mine. Now I stop washing 4 times to dry a section before water spots get started. It sounds like a real time saver and a lot of trips up and down the ladder. I may have just talked myself into getting one.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Bob:
BigTrace,
I have been pondering the purchase of the CR Spotless system and just ordered the free information packet. How many times can you wash your motor home on a set of cartridges? I like the Idea of not having to stop and dry sections when I wash mine. Now I stop washing 4 times to dry a section before water spots get started. It sounds like a real time saver and a lot of trips up and down the ladder. I may have just talked myself into getting one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Jim Bob,

I have the DI-100 which gives you about 100 gallons of DI water. That usually lasts me about 2 washes. I attach the unit to a 1.6 GPM power sprayer (electric), go up on the roof, spray and bucket wash the roof before coming down. I'll do as much of the upper/side areas as I can (tops of the awnings, gutters, top of the top caps). Once I wash and rinse, I'll go down to the ground and start my wash in thirds (roughly). I have a long car washing "brush" that I use that telescopes out. I'll make sure my water has enough soap, put the wand of the power sprayer in the bucket to spray some water to make sure it's nice and foamy, them "slop" it on the coach like paint brushing every possible area I can reach using the telescoping rod (which is usually everything. I only take out the ladder for the windshield if I have lots of bugs that need detailed scrubbing.

Other than that, the sprayer would use 50 gallons in just over 30 minutes of CONTINUOUS spraying which I know I don't exceed. The unit also comes with a small light bulb assembly that you plug in. The water passes through this assembly. When you have "De-ionizing" happening, the bulb stays lit as the unit senses how many minerals are passing through the unit. When the level of minerals goes up (ie, the resins are wearing out in the tanks), the light bulb goes out and it's time to change the tanks. A set for my machine runs about $32 when you buy them in the 8 pack. You need 2 for the machine to work so the 8 pack will yield 8 washes (4 SETS x 2 washes per set). The 8 pack is about $130 so I figure it's about $15 to $16 more or less depending on how much water I get out of a set of cartridges. Sometimes, I get more than 2 washes so I figure I get 9 washes per 8 pack of cartridges. That usually will last me a year. I figure, far less time (only about 1 - 2 hours at the most to wash her down) and less work to make her look like new again, each and every time. I also am getting a Shelter King to house my baby when I put her away after a wash which should make her stay cleaner longer than my last rig did.

One other benefit is if you own a stick house as well. Cleans your windows very quickly using the same method. My house is very large and has over 60 windows. I can do the whole house in about 2 hours.

They also have a 300 gallon unit, but it is too big for my needs. My neighbor has that one and loves it. He's saving a ton of money from his old DI service that used to come around to his house and change out cartridges for him for a ridiculous amount of money.

Let us know what you do.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-14-2006, 04:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi BigTrace,

Thanks for all the info on the spot free rinse. I was thinking about it again today as I washed my CRV and then dried it by hand. It takes more time to dry than to wash thats for sure. I have a gas powered pressure washer with an adjustable spray but I have no idea how many gallons a minute it puts out. I will have to dig up the paper work on it. But I think I will ask the wife for an early fathers day present after I get all ithe information together.
You will be proud to have a shelter to keep your baby under when she has a bath, I have really enjoyed being able to work on mine on rainy days out of the weather.
Well thanks again and I'll let you know when I get the go ahead from the boss.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Hey Jim Bob,

If your water sprayer is around 1850 PSI, it's probably around 1.6 gallons. Once you get larger (2300+ PSI), then you'll move up to over 2 gallons per minute. A smaller one is definitely all you'll need when washing any cars or your rig.

Cross your fingers as Papa's day is just around the corner!!. Take care..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-15-2006, 11:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

I use the Mister Clean rig - and while it takes a bit of finaggaling to reach the uppermost areas, the results are superb and more than woth the small effort expended.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

DI water is without a doubt the best way to solve the spotting issue.

I have a service through Culligan that provides two 14" dia x 60' tanks that last me three months. And that is rinsing off the coach weekly, and washing two other vehicles.

The rental on the tanks is 25 dollars a month and 75. every time they need re-charging. I have never ran out of DI water and I use a ton of it. The total averages 50 dollars a month, not to bad considering the advantage it offers.

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Indio:
DI water is without a doubt the best way to solve the spotting issue.

I have a service through Culligan that provides two 14" dia x 60' tanks that last me three months. And that is rinsing off the coach weekly, and washing two other vehicles.

The rental on the tanks is 25 dollars a month and 75. every time they need re-charging. I have never ran out of DI water and I use a ton of it. The total averages 50 dollars a month, not to bad considering the advantage it offers.

Walt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Walt,

I agree 100%. Just to avoid confusion, you more than likely meant 60" tanks, not 60' tanks. That would fill up my garage!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-15-2006, 02:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Big Trace:

.......... opps 60"

I have a sweet deal. My coach is backed up to an extra shipping dock where I work, and the two tanks are located just in side the roll up door.

While I'm having my morning coffee, I give the coach a good rinse off, keeping it almost spot less all the time. Another little trick I use is a gas powered lawn blower to blow out the little crevices and areas that water stands in.

I love a clean looking MH going down the road. I spend probably more time on my wheels than I do anything else. Keeping them looking like they are chrome plated.

Take Care,

Walt

2004 Alpine 40FDTS
Indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:21 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Great Job Walt!! Wish I had that luxury!! Good Miles...

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

For small jobs, like wiping down the front when you pull into a park, is to use Protect-All Wash and Rinse...got mine at Wal*Mart. Also, use the Miracle Cloths (you get about 8 for less than $5. You can also use them with just plain water. Use the Protect-all (concentrated) and then wipe dry with a Miracle. No spots, no dirt...nice and clean...works great on windows, too!

Of course, this is just for touch-up stuff. It doesn't take off the wax.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 08:00 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Isn't the CR Spotless the same as a water softener? I'm going to try washing and rinsing mine with soft water.

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote