Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2006, 08:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jjhamick:
Isn't the CR Spotless the same as a water softener? I'm going to try washing and rinsing mine with soft water. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello JJHamick,

CR Spotless manufactures De-Ionized water, not soft water. Soft water does not take some of the minerals out of the water that this system will. Those excess deposits will still create hard water spots on your coach. Most of the time, soft water also uses salt to soften the water which is not a good thing to cover your coach with IMO. The ones using potassium are better, but again will not rid you of ALL contaminates as does De-Ionized water. Some newer threads from people on RV.net have been written in the last few days concerning the unit. Many happy people now.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 12:23 PM   #22
Winnebago Watcher

We purchased a water softener about three years ago and had the same problem with soft water still spotting. We contact the company we purchased the softener from (watersticks.com)and they explained the problem as you have described above. We then found that they also had an inexpensive deionized softener for rinsing cars & RV's. What a difference. Absolutely no spotting.
QuadSlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by QuadSlide:
We purchased a water softener about three years ago and had the same problem with soft water still spotting. We contact the company we purchased the softener from (watersticks.com)and they explained the problem as you have described above. We then found that they also had an inexpensive deionized softener for rinsing cars & RV's. What a difference. Absolutely no spotting. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have that unit and am still not convinced it does exactly as stated (in fact it doesn't). Having said that, to conserve water I have it plumbed into a pressure sprayer that also has a soap dispenser that I think might be leaking and causing what spots I do have.. Because this unit is made out of off the shelf PVC parts. it's WAY cheaper than the others. Either way it's far far better than none at all.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Interesting thread. I have a pressure washer and find that it is especially useful on the roof and underneath. Having said that the best way that I have found to wash the MH is the corner car wash. Being fairly new it has all the required features including bays that easily accomodate any motor home. I find the bug spray and engine degreaser (for the generator) work very well. Of course it has RO water for rinse which eliminates spots completely. Cost? about $12.00 per wash
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:24 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

They used to have those types of facilities in this part of the world, but no more, not even an outside the building wand to use on trucks and motorhomes. I think it comes from farmers taking their stock trailers in and leaving tons of hay and manure on the wash floor. Can't say I blame the owner/operator of the wash facility.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

I wash and then after the rinse while its still good and wet run up and down it with my big Squeegy and no spots... too easy... try it
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 04:32 AM   #27
Winnebago Master

Watch your decals and stripes using a squeege, I caused damage to mine after several usages and no longer use the squeege.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:57 AM   #28
JCM
Winnebago Camper

I have such hard water that everything is white when it drys - can actually be wiped off.
The wife complained about water spotting inside the coach etc. I bought a portable RO sysyem in Yuma and now we fill the coach with it and even fill water bottles at home BUT I allways have some left in the coach when I come home (or can make more). I then bought a small brass adaptor that fits on the outside shower hose and allows me to hook up a garden hose. Now I can wash and rinse with Ro water and it is spotless.