Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

DW wants a washer/dryer, and since our '02 Horizon is already plumbed for it, I ordered one from CW.

Before I cut a 4" vent hole through the sidewall, I want to be sure tha there is nothing in the wall to interfere. So I called Winnebago, and they sent me engineering drawings, with measurements (in mm) from a datum reference line, for where the home is to be.

Based on my measurements, and the location that would be directly in line with the dryer exhaust, had an aluminum crossmember in the wall, directly in the center of where the hole would be if I cut it. (I didn't).

So something is wrong. Seems I need an offset vent adapter, but I really don't think there's room behind the dryer to install anything other than a custom-made one.

I doubt this is normal practice. So, do any of you with a 36 Journey or Horizon have a W/D installed? If so, can you check the location of the outside vent for me?

Nothin's ever easy
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 05:26 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

DW wants a washer/dryer, and since our '02 Horizon is already plumbed for it, I ordered one from CW.

Before I cut a 4" vent hole through the sidewall, I want to be sure tha there is nothing in the wall to interfere. So I called Winnebago, and they sent me engineering drawings, with measurements (in mm) from a datum reference line, for where the home is to be.

Based on my measurements, and the location that would be directly in line with the dryer exhaust, had an aluminum crossmember in the wall, directly in the center of where the hole would be if I cut it. (I didn't).

So something is wrong. Seems I need an offset vent adapter, but I really don't think there's room behind the dryer to install anything other than a custom-made one.

I doubt this is normal practice. So, do any of you with a 36 Journey or Horizon have a W/D installed? If so, can you check the location of the outside vent for me?

Nothin's ever easy
Indian River, De
Old 04-23-2008, 05:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

When I purchased my 02 Journey, the vent pipe wasn't connected to the dryer. I was able to purchase a narrow vent pipe with a 90 degree bend from Splendite and was abe to get everything connected. This greatly reduced the amount of lint in the bedroom clothing drawers! Feel free to contact if I can be of farther assisitance.

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I solved the problem by cutting the vent hole above the aluminum crossmember. I bought a periscope dryer vent from Lowes, then shortened it to align with the vent hole location. It's slim (but wide) dimensions fit behind the W/D with plenty of room to spare.

I installed a drip tray, with drain hose to the outside sewer compartment, and bracing to lock the machine in place, and prevent it from tipping out of the cabinet.

It was a fun project to complete, the hardest part being to physically lift the machine and slide it into the cabinet, as it weighs 168 lbs.
Indian River, De
Old 04-25-2008, 07:16 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CaptBill:
--snip--It was a fun project to complete, the hardest part being to physically lift the machine and slide it into the cabinet, as it weighs 168 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>We installed ours as well and it was a real challenge for DW and I to move it around.

When we had the Spendide factory (Actually Westland Sales in Elkhart) repair it last summer, the tech removed the door before he lifted/moved it out to work on. With the door removed, it was much easier to grab. Wish I would have thought that trick.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yes, the dagone door was getting in the way. I had the washer up to the shelf and partway in when I realized that I should have removed it. Hopefully I won'y have to remember that little tidbit in the future...

Never had one of these Splindide's before. Are they problematic, John?
Indian River, De
Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

CaptBill:

There was an article in a recent Motorhome mag (or FMCA mag....memory fails me) about how to maximize performance in the combo washer/dryers.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CaptBill:
Yes, the dagone door was getting in the way. I had the washer up to the shelf and partway in when I realized that I should have removed it. Hopefully I won'y have to remember that little tidbit in the future...

Never had one of these Splindide's before. Are they problematic, John? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill - no I don't think they are problematic - our problem was a multi-pin motor connector that apparently was never fully seated at the time of manufacture. We also had a chattering hot water valve.

Your DW will love the ability to throw a few things in the drum and do some wash without a trip to the wash-land.

I think Gary is correct about a good article in the FMCA mag about some Spendide tips. I think Jane folds her sheets before dry cycle to have them come out fairly unwrinkled.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Is it a 30 amp system? If so, does the dryer work out Ok?
Old 04-25-2008, 06:16 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk, we are currently on 30amp power (coach is 50 amp) and I am running, the washer, air conditioner, TV, lights and computer with no problem.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

The only thing we have noticed about the W/D is that on spin it tends to shake the coach quite a bit. All and all it is a great option to have, wouldn't be without one again.

Paul

2004 Adventurer 38R
PaulC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Has anyone the experience in installing one of the combo units in a closet or another non-designated location? I just got a used 2000s for $100.00 and the location I had assumed would work, was in the bedroom in a spot that is completely empty, but its not deep enough. I have been told that sometimes there are 'fake walls' and the plumbing for the washer is in there. I have a 2003 Forest River Windsong and I just can't find anywhere this could be placed without having to start from scratch. Does anyone have any input in this? I found a mobile RV mechanic that is going to install it for me, but before I pay someone, I'd like to try it myself, given its already prepped. This stuff isn't hard, just takes some motivation.
AceClark is offline   Reply With Quote