Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Squatter

Spare tire 2003 Itasca Suncruiser

Is it common to not have a spare tire on an RV ? We have a 2003 Itasca and it doesn't seem to have one ?
Sqautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
look underneath the chassis at the rear. our spare was there on our 2000 suncruiser 35U. but many class a motorhomes do NOT come with spares.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #3
Squatter

Thank you. I did but nothing.
Sqautter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are quite a few threads on this and the answer is yes. Some MHs don't have a place to store it. My 2002 Suncruiser has a rack under the back, forward of the trailer hitch. When I bought the MH, the spare was way too old so I purchased a good, relatively new used tire for about $75.

Most people cite the difficulty in changing such a large tire yourself, especially if it's an inside, rear tire.

Had I not already had the rack and the rim, I probably wouldn't have bothered.

Here are the results of a Google search FYI:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spar...nnieowners.com
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqautter View Post
Thank you. I did but nothing.
ok but is there a cable and hook there? to access the spare on our suncruiser i used the lug wrench (or a drill with the proper bit) to winch the tire to the ground. if that is in place but no tire then all you need is a tire (make sure the winch works first). if not then your model did not come with a spare.

for a definitive answer call Winnebago Tech Support at 1 (800) 537-1885. have your VIN ready.
Old 04-06-2019, 05:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I agree that they are too much for most of us to change but if you don't have one I have heard of charges of up to $1,000 for a wheel and tire.
Cheaper to carry one if you have the place.
mdka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:56 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdka99 View Post
I agree that they are too much for most of us to change but if you don't have one I have heard of charges of up to $1,000 for a wheel and tire.
Cheaper to carry one if you have the place.
Wouldn't this be covered by your roadside service policy except for the cost of the new tire?
Old 04-07-2019, 12:08 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

typically the service call is no-charge and depending on your specific plan changing a tire may be a no-charge. bringing you a replacement tire, putting it on your rim, etc. will likely incur a charge. at that point you’re a captive audience and while you can still say “no!” you’re gonna pay extra.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
Old 04-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Having a place for the spare (and a serviceable one in the spot) helped us decided on our Sightseer. of course it is a bit of a chore to get it in and out, but I've done it a couple of times myself so that I am sure I can do it in an emergency.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

A spare was more common with the 19.5 inch rims since those tires usually will fit between the frame rails on a gas motor home chassis while a tire on a 22 inch rim may be too large to fit and will have to hang down below the frame causing interference issues with rear frame extensions and trailer hitches along with clearance issues entering and exiting driveways and parking lots.

The parts catalog for the 2003 Suncruiser indicates that on April 7, 2003 the Workhorse Chassis with the 22 inch tires no longer had a spare tire carrier installed on them. You may be able to order the carrier for the pre April 7, 2003 coach along with its retainer kit and mount them on your coach.

You can select the appropriate catalog for your coach from the following link to see the info particular to your coach: http://catalog.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm

I had a tread separation while evacuation an area with a forest fire (tire was properly inflated but just past 5 years old so I was planning on replacing it after the trip anyways) and if I did not have a spare I would not have been able to as quickly get out of the way of the fire.

I learned at that time to also carry the tools needed to change the tire yourself as none of the trucks that AAA sent were equipped to even deal with a 19.5 inch tire. None were even capable of removing the simulator wheel covers or jacking the rig up to change the tire.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Just a heads up what I just read a bit ago. My question was where is the jack? My understanding was:
Back in the he day "maybe now" it was known if you paid $100k on a motohome, you probably have someone come and replace it for them. Unless you ordered it wit the spare tire mounting brackets. Which mine was apperantly oreded.with one, but still didn't come with a jack.
Happy motoing
Old 04-20-2019, 05:54 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

My wife and I have a 2007 39k Journey which didn't come with a spare or a place to put one so I purchase a spare tire carrier from Roadmaster that fits into the receiver hitch of the coach and it swivels to the left or right to enable getting the rear engine cover open and the spare rests on the ground so you just pull the mounting bolts and roll the tire to the position needed No Lifting of tire and rim and the carrier is set up to place a receiver into it so you can still pull a toad. This is a very high quality product which I highly recommend one flat tire call without your spare will cover the cost of the rack,tire and rim Amazon handles them. Happy Trails
Chmielowiec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 11:33 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barny750 View Post
Just a heads up what I just read a bit ago. My question was where is the jack? My understanding was:
Back in the he day "maybe now" it was known if you paid $100k on a motohome, you probably have someone come and replace it for them. Unless you ordered it wit the spare tire mounting brackets. Which mine was apperantly oreded.with one, but still didn't come with a jack.
Happy motoing
So what's wrong with using your hydraulic leveling jacks with a suitable jack stand for safety?
Old 04-21-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Leveling jacks

It was my understanding that the Jack's we're not made for tire changing, there leveling Jack's. There not really meant for that much pressure on the seals of the Jack's. I would if nessasery, but emedently to set them on big jack stands. I've seen seals blow, and what could happen if they did give out. Just for thought.
Happy motoing.

PS. I wouldn't use anything less than a 20 ton bottle jack

Tags
itasca, suncruiser