Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2017, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Something every Winnebago Owner should know

On my Vista, and I believe most other Winnebagos, the leveling system and slideout systems run off of the Chassis battery system, not the Coach battery system. Buried in the Operator's Guide of Winnebagos wired this way, Winnebago formally recommends running the engine when operating the slideout room systems.

No one ever told me this at my delivery walk thru. Personally, I missed that sentence in the manual when I skimmed it first time thru.

I have personally found that operating the leveling system and slideout systems with the engine running makes a HUGE improvement in how those systems perform.

= = = = = = = = = =

You can confirm this is true for your Winnebago Motor Home by checking the text in the following sections of your Operator's Guide:

Electrical (Section 6 for my Vista): The chassis battery is used to operate the engine starter and automotive accessories and controls found on the instrument panel. The slideout room systems and the electric step are also connected to the chassis battery.

Slideout Rooms and Leveling (Section 10 for my Vista): Winnebago recommends running the engine whenever you run the slideout rooms in or out, the engine alternator should insure the rooms have adequate 12-volt DC power to operate correctly.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 05:30 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Thankfully my PDI tech was very thorough and told us. The only trouble I've ever had was when the engine was running AND the 30 amp cord was plugged in. It could be coincidental, but the slide took a few presses of the button to get going.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 06:56 AM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

I was told that I may need to quickly need to press the slide button to "wake up" the motors, then slide them out.

And I believe I have a lock out circuit that requires the engine to be running to utilize the slides.

(BTW: 2016 Meridian 38P)
wanna-travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yep. Told at delivery engine running or at least key in run position. And, slide button might need to be released and pressed again to make work.
blifsey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
On my Vista, and I believe most other Winnebagos, the leveling system and slideout systems run off of the Chassis battery system, not the Coach battery system. Buried in the Operator's Guide of Winnebagos wired this way, Winnebago formally recommends running the engine when operating the slideout room systems.

No one ever told me this at my delivery walk thru. Personally, I missed that sentence in the manual when I skimmed it first time thru.

I have personally found that operating the leveling system and slideout systems with the engine running makes a HUGE improvement in how those systems perform.

= = = = = = = = = =

You can confirm this is true for your Winnebago Motor Home by checking the text in the following sections of your Operator's Guide:

Electrical (Section 6 for my Vista): The chassis battery is used to operate the engine starter and automotive accessories and controls found on the instrument panel. The slideout room systems and the electric step are also connected to the chassis battery.

Slideout Rooms and Leveling (Section 10 for my Vista): Winnebago recommends running the engine whenever you run the slideout rooms in or out, the engine alternator should insure the rooms have adequate 12-volt DC power to operate correctly.

Had a Winnebago rep at a rally tell us this also, the more or highest voltage the better. Jacks and slides take a lot of power to operate .
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:13 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have found that with a diesel motor home you not only need to have the engine running, but you need to wait until the engine intake heater quits going on and off. It will cause the volts to drop real low when it comes on. Watch the volt meter to see when it is staying off. The intake heater will stay off when the engine is warmed enough.
vanmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We read our manuals!!!!!!

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Interesting......

Thanks for that information. I did not know that.

We bought ours used and there was no walk-through. lol) I did know about the steps using the chassis battery because, after pulling the house batteries for winter storage, I noticed the steps still worked.

Guess I'll take a look at the manual and see what it says about that for my unit.
empty_nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by empty_nest View Post
Thanks for that information. I did not know that.

We bought ours used and there was no walk-through. lol) I did know about the steps using the chassis battery because, after pulling the house batteries for winter storage, I noticed the steps still worked.

Guess I'll take a look at the manual and see what it says about that for my unit.
The most important thing (to me) is to have your coach leveled before deploying your slides. And remember we to take the parking brake off before leaving:(
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

In the HWH manual on my Meridian 36g. Have engine off and key on accessory to extend levelers, to retract - start engine and immediately push auto store.

For the slides, always have the engine running - in and out.
Chiefig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:02 PM   #11
Former Winnebago Owner

This is definitely one of those little "gotchas". I learned the hard way to check battery voltage before extending/retracting slides. It can really be a problem when retracting slides after a few days of camping. I've not had any problems when extending slides after traveling. Take a look at the display panel and make sure chassis battery is at least 13.2 v. Anything less COULD result in slide controller error which is a pain to clear. If the chassis battery voltage is less than 13.2 start the engine and wait for the voltage to come up - on my Meridian I watch the dash display to see the alternator voltage go up to 14 v then slides will work fine.
Our previous coach had HWH slide mechanisms which worked always no problems, no worries, but Winnie in their infinite wisdom decided to move to electric motor slide mechanisms. These Power Gear mechanisms seem to have a few little quirks, but now that I know about them it's back to no problems, no worries just an extra thing to think about when breaking camp.
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I also agree with that. I always push the other direction, then the direction. Also holed the botton till it clicks.
Robleves0143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 06:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
That is commendable.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:54 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

I think some of your recommendations are confusing. I believe there is no way to level your coach with the engine running. So with that function, you are at your batteries mercy.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:56 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
You must have a great memory
Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I was told that the 12 volt motors will last longer if they work when using the higher voltages available only when the engine runs and charges the engine battery at the higher voltage.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #17
Former Winnebago Owner

On my coach the leveling systems works only when the ignition switch is either in ACC or run position. My usual routine is: pull into site, tranny to neutral, set parking brake, hop out to check positioning, if good go back to electrical bay, push leveling switch, pull out electric cable and hook it up. Usually by the time I hook up electricity and wander back to the front of the coach the coach has completed leveling and I shut down the engine, put the slides out, pull out cushy chair, pop open a cold one and relax
NMBluept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

My manual clearly states that the engine should be running to operate slides and awning.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
I think some of your recommendations are confusing. I believe there is no way to level your coach with the engine running. So with that function, you are at your batteries mercy.
On my current Class A gas RV the ignition key has to be in position 1 or 2 and the parking brake has to be applied to enable the Slides and Leveling System. Engine running or not. So there IS a way to level the coach with the engine running, at least on newer gas powered Winnebagos.

Why in the original post on this thread I said each should consult their own Operator's Guide as i realize that not all Winnebagos of every year and type are going to me like mine.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:28 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Must be on the diesel chassis, because your air ride needs to be dumped to level. Need to get the manual out or call my dealer. We are lucky to have a very good dealer with over 40 years of experience, they are better than having a manual.

Tags
winnebago