Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2021, 03:57 AM   #21
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkman View Post
Even with the Navion I was able to have three 100W panels at 42 x 20 inches in size and a 190W panel at 58 x 26 inches in size and have a total of 490W of output going to the charge controller. That is enough to power the fridge and the furnace motor and lights for the RV. If we wish to use the AC then we have gone where there is shore power and then made use of the microwave as well. No need for a generator with a 3-way fridge and propane cooktop and oven. With my last camper with a 3-way fridge I did not have a generator of any kind and we went for weeks at a time with no issues at all.

I needed narrow panels to fit between the AC and roof vents and the edge of the motorhome. I was able to put the 190W panel crossways at the rear of the roof area. I did several layouts to be able to get everything in place and I had to relocate one of the Zamp panels that some clown at Winnebago put in the wrong place.

The solar panels provide more options and less need for the generator as it is used only to power the oven or microwave. Nothing to worry about setting up or having stolen and it works 24x7 to keep the batteries charged and even is charging the batteries as we drive down the road. I would never use the roof for additional storage space and no need to take away from the basement storage with a portable setup.
Thanks Elkman, it's sounds like it works out very well for you and I am envious! Respectfully, there is a world of difference between a Navion (or most self contained motorhomes) and a 21' TT.

I have a 2108TB and originally had intent to add rooftop solar. Discovered that I really could only add (2) 120W panels comfortably, and would limit my access to the roof from the AC unit forward. Not to mention adding 100 lbs.+ when my GVWR was pushing it's limit was unfortunately a deal breaker for me. To me now, money is best spent adding an additional battery.

As far as storage, I store my 100W 5 lb. panel on the bed when traveling. The suitcase panel takes up very little room in the "basement".

I park my TT in my driveway underneath a canopy of trees. Recently, we had high winds prior to a storm, and a 2-3" diameter branch landed fat end down on my roof and left a decent sized divot. Thankfully, it didn't puncture the skin or penetrate the structure, but would have absolutely smashed a solar panel. That would have ended up as a weekend of work or a $1000 insurance claim. I can't even imagine getting cause in a texas hailstorm!

Full solar has many virtues and is a GREAT option for a lot of folks, especially for those who like you who boondock for weeks at a time. Just not for me, my lifestyle and this particular trailer.
Old 06-24-2021, 02:28 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

The solar panels are designed to withstand hail and similar impacts. Check homes in your area after a hailstorm and see if any panels needed tobe replaced. Friends moved into their house 5 years ago and weeks later the roof was badly damaged by hail. The roof would have been protected by solar panels had the prior owner installed them.

I have more than 70 oaks on my property and every September I do pruning of the limbs to keep them from breaking off in a storm. Not everyone bothers to do this but prefer to clean up the damage after the storm. To each his own.

The two 125Ah lithium phosphate batteries I used to replace the two 125Ah flooded lead acid batteries reduced the load on the motorhome by 74 lbs and my two panel additions to gain an additional 290W of charging added 41 lbs for a net weight savings of 33 lbs overall.

Whether I put solar panels in the basement or on the bed or on the roof the weight is still being carried by the chassis. On the roof they are always available and they are always out of the way. Fortunately the new RV's tend to come with more and more solar panels already mounted by the manufacturer.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 04:48 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

Elkman, just noticed that you live in CA. I lived there my entire life up until 2-3 years ago. Sometimes I do miss the 300 days a year of beautiful sunshine! 100% agree on the weight savings from FLA to LiFePO4. IMO, one of the best upgrades overall one can do.

Where I live, you'd be hard pressed to find a single home that has solar due to the number of trees and reduced sunshine compared to SoCal, so I wouldn't be able to confirm your request.

Most of the trees on my property (including oak's) are 80+ ft. tall which make limb removal above 12' precarious at best. I've spent 15k on tree REMOVAL (mostly pine) and you'd barely notice! The oak tree that dropped the limb on my roof also had a bumper crop of acorns last October. Someone here told me they call them "widowmakers" for obvious reasons. I covered my roof vents / AC housing with bubble wrap immediately! I have no doubt that had I installed panels on the roof, they would have been creamed.

Storms here are common and can sometimes be extreme, including golf ball sized hail. Indeed, some manufacturers claim that their panels can withstand 2-3" hail@50mph. Whether accurate or not, the placement angle has much to do with impact force. A panel placed flat (perpendicular to force) will sustain more damage exponentially to one that is angled (deflection), such as in a rooftop.

Texas hail

Solar Panel Hail Damage
https://www.google.com/search?q=sola...biw=1452&hl=en

Again, as I mentioned, rooftop solar works for most folks but is highly dependent on where they live, where they travel and their overall lifestyle!

Have a nice weekend
Old 06-25-2021, 12:38 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

With my oak trees I trim as far as I can reach with a 14 foot power pole saw and above that I pay to have professional arborists do the work. I use a laser pen to indicate where I want the cuts made as I want the weight balanced and over trimming is harmful to the trees. For reasons of fire prevention I have no limbs within 15 feet of the roof of my house.

I lived in the mid 1980's in Dallas for two years and the realtor I used told me not to worry about the condition of the roof as when it was damaged by hail the insurance company would pay for the new roof. That is not longer the case as friends in Flower Mound found out when their roof needed to be replace as a result of hail damage and they had only been in their new to them house for 6 months.

Coworkers in Dallas were surprised that I had bought what they referred to as a "used" house as they wanted new appliances and to pick out the carpet but I wanted a house that had a swimming pool and established landscaping already in place. While living there I greatly missed the deserts, forests, and beaches of California, and after two years I returned and bought a used house in the Santa Cruz mountains that ovverlooked a 140,000 acre redwood forest. No chance for solar on that property but I lost the house in the 1989 earthquake that had it epicenter 7 miles from my house. Now in north Monterey county with a house on a little over an acre of oak woodland and 5 miles from the ocean and 20 miles from the redwood groves.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:12 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Monterey and surrounding area(s) are incredible and something to behold. Sounds like you've found your nirvana.

I probably would have never left if it wasn't for the extraordinarily high taxes.

Thanks for sharing!

Tags
solar, panel, solar panel