Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

SOLAR and Compostable Toilet change

Hello all, Getting ready to order a 2106DS and hit the road. Just picked up a Nissan, FrontierSV Crew Cab, getting a Hensley hitch and gone.
Question is regarding a solar build out for "dry camping"
If any one has done a more serious set up please let me know. Roof solar panels are another area I would love suggestions.
I would like to build a battery storage unit right behind the Propane tanks--I'm thinking 4 batteries.
Also has anyone replaced the toilet with a "compostable"? I would like to do an install that would let me "pop" the black water system back quickly for "regular" RV'rs..I am thinking of possible renting the unit when not in use through RV Share.
Ken
Hetken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:52 PM   #2

My WindyNation 300 watt solar system works great. All the major manufacturers systems are fine. Four batteries at 240 pounds additional on the tongue may unnecessary with a good solar setup. Try two Trojan T125s (240 AHs) or T145s (260 AHs). They will only add about 120 pounds.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi Larry, Looks like your unit is more/less the same as a 2106. For sure I will want to boondock - exceptions would only be super spacious/private RV camps. (really love non-impact neighbors) We will be setting off from a house with many acres of land.
How well does your solar provide for ones needs? Do you have a photo your roof? Do your panels tilt ect.
Ken
Old 05-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #4

Ken, our TTs are 7.5 feet wide so the three WN 100 watt panels fit across the front with the middle panel behind the vent and ahead of the A/C. The outside panels are tilted slightly only by the curvature of the roof. Haven’t run the generator except to exercise it in the last 60 nights of camping. Batteries usually full by noon or 1 pm. I’ll need your email for a picture.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

[email protected]
Old 05-31-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Hetken1, made any solar decisions? Did you find the WindyNation site helpful?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:34 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Hi, Hope to finally close on a house Monday and have the $$ to get the 2106 !!!!!
After much Youtubing, my "educated guess" is to go with Trojan 105RE's. The cost breakdown considering replacements over time is the best ah$. Pros: Upfront cost & Weight---Cons: 50% discharge vs. 80%.
I have contacted Winnebago 2x's and asked for a measurement diagram of the roof to plan the install but they have not sent it.
Ken
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #8

I don't believe that Winnebago will be much help regarding your roof and solar panels. When I called they advised not to do it. To me that response made little sense...you can walk on my TT's roof and I added only 13 more holes carefully patched. Please consider T125s. Same size as 105s but heavier with 20 additional amp hours.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Are you aware of the L-16P or H ?
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM   #10

Yes, Hetken, and I considered buying two of the Trojan L-16P-ACs but they wouldn't fit on my TT's tongue and their height would interfere with my homemade bicycle rack and maybe the curve of the TT's front. I was also concerned about weight...114 pounds each.

Tags
solar