Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2007, 04:03 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

I experienced exhaust fumes on my trip home from Georgia where I purchased my 05 Journey 36G. I thought it might have been a window that didn't close all the way. I haven't driven it since then to see if the fumes are still there. I also noticed the exhaust pipe seperating from the muffler. I had the recall done last week. I will be sure to crawl under and make sure the pipe was repositioned properly. When I saw the recall notice on the web, I asked freightliner why I hadn't received any notice of the recall. They said since I bought it after the recall went out, they would not have sent one to me? They knew that I had just purchased it, because they told me my dealer sent in the paperwork. I would think they would know every chassis they built, which ones received the recall repairs and which ones hadn't? I guess if you don't find out about it your not getting it.
Don
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:43 PM   #22
Winnebago Master

Since Winebago & Freightliner don't seem to talk to each other maybe someone will get their attention by filing a class action suit against both of them. Carbon monoxide fumes in a vehicle while moving on the highway can be extremely dangerous, not only to the occupants but to everyone else on the highway in case the driver passes out from the poisoning gas. There is probably no way to calculate the future problems this continous exposure to carbon monoxide may be causing anyone in the coach. NHTSA probably should get involved in this also.
Just my thoughts on this matter.
Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I'm sure that isn't far down the road. They are at least stepping up to the plate and correcting the issue, I just think they could do a little better to notify the customers out there that are affected by the problem. As stated in this post earlier, one would like to think that Freightliner is keeping record of which units have had the problem addressed under their (campaign) and which units have not. There are probably a lot more out there that still need this addresses. Lets all just hope and pray that these folks find out about this before it leads to a catestrophic event...which will in the end...lead to a law suit.
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:29 AM   #24
Winnebago Watcher

I had the Field Service Campaign completed last month on my Freightliner Chassis. As I posted before, according to the shop, the "fix" is Mickey Mouse" and the exhaust design is flawed. Gravity along with back pressure will separate the pipe from the muffler. Had the system been designed differently, we would not be having the current problem. BTW, I encountered a Discovery owner who had an exhaust separation. The heat from the exhaust melted the power cord and entire electronics compartment including the inverter.
909dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:46 AM   #25
Winnebago Owner

One word and one expression comes to mind..."WOW!!"
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Well, once again it would seem that Winnebago is stepping up to the plate. I was just contacted via email by a Winnebago Service Administration Lead (who has been following this forum and noticed this post) asking for the VIN on my coach so he can ensure the appropriate personnel are notified.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

You can file a complaint with the National Transportation Safety Board.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

I've had this problem with my 03 Journey with the 330 Cat engine. Have never found the source of the problem. I will have the problem checked with the new information from this forum.
Annie K. and Sparky the Long haired chihuahua
03 Journey DL36LD
Doggievet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 AM   #29
Winnebago Owner

MNGolfer,

I don't really see a need to file a complaint as both Winnebago and Freightliner are offering no resistance to mitigate the problem. I have learned from the Winnebago Service Administration Lead that the campaign was sent out in November 2006 and my "New Owner Registration" did not get filed with Winnebago until December 2006. Therefore, a notice was more than likely sent to the original owner. I missed the boat by a month so to speak. None the less, I am perfectly happy with the way they are taking care of the issue.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 PM   #30
Winnebago Master

I wonder how many times the exhaust and undercarriage must be worked on before the problem can be corrected? Freightliner worked on my exhaust twice the first six months replacing some of the flexible pipes and clamps, and Forest City checked all underneith just filling one hole with goop stating everything was fixed. Yes, they did say bring it back (over 700 miles each way) and maybe it would still be a warranty item - their previous work is only warranted for 4 months I believe is what they said. I guess they realize all we have to do is run back and forth so they can try this and that to fix a problem.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
Wagon
Old 02-09-2007, 03:43 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yeah, I'm sure that isn't far down the road. They are at least stepping up to the plate and correcting the issue, I just think they could do a little better to notify the customers out there that are affected by the problem. As stated in this post earlier, one would like to think that Freightliner is keeping record of which units have had the problem addressed under their (campaign) and which units have not. There are probably a lot more out there that still need this addresses. Lets all just hope and pray that these folks find out about this before it leads to a catestrophic event...which will in the end...lead to a law suit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My suggestion about the NTSB is because of your concern about doing a better job of getting the customers notified. Appears there is a design issue with the coaches that is a safety issue and it is only getting addressed if you complain. Maybe the manufacturer is trying to resolve the problem, but as you stated they could do a better job of notification. Would seem reasonable that there might need to be a RECALL rather than fix when someone complains.

2004 Journey 32T
MNGolfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 AM   #32
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron-in-Tn:
Steve,
I'm glad to hear that you too have have found the cause of the fumes. As you and I both know...this problem doesn't just cause "a little" bit of fumes inside the coach...but actually quite a bit...enough to completely ruin a trip. Hopefully others will read this post and will find the same resolution. Now, like you mentioned, one would think that Winnebago would have sent notice to their customers on this? Although I am the second owner of my coach, I did register on the Winnebago website as a new owner for this coach which requires you to give them all of the information on the coach...ie..serial numbers, VIN # and such...but I have yet to hear anything from them. This is definately the type of thing most of us would like to be notified of. Now, since this is a "Freightliner" issue and not so much a Winnebago coach issue...I'm wondering if I need to get into the Freightliner website and see if there is similar "New Owner Registration" offered so that I might be notified of these types of issue in the future. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

I can only speak for my own situation on this...but after discussing this with the Winnebago Service Administration Lead, I found that notices were apparently sent out by both Winnebago and Freightliner in Nov. 2006. However, since Winnebago didn't get my "New Owner Registration" until Dec. 2006, the notices for my coach were sent to the original owner. So I kind of feel like I have to shoulder the blame on this one in my case since I didn't get my registration done and turned in right away when I purchased the coach in August 2006. In addition, this is the first trip (since I purchased it) for my coach to a "Winnebago Dealership" who notified me the same day I dropped it off that my coach was one involved in the campaign.

BTW....what's the difference between a "campaign" and a "Recall"....
Old 02-22-2007, 04:57 PM   #34
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD with the same problem of fumes in the back of the coach. Thanks to the info here - I will be bringing it in for the correction right away.
The Quince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:53 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

I hope this fix will help eveyone. I've had my exhaust worked on 2 1/2 years ago twice by FL (they replaced two pieces of flexible pipe and all the clamps holding them) and once by Winnebago at Forest City 1 1/2 years ago and I still am getting exhaust smell in the coach.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G