Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #1
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Sling

Has anyone tried SLING in place of their sat dish?
Have you used your hot spot and sling? If you have unlimited data it looks like it will work without extra cost.
Added the Roku to the tv in my 2014 Trend. Looks like it works great.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Site Team

We use DirecTV Now, which is very similar to Sling, except that it doesn’t allow streaming from a home DVR like Sling does.

We have both TT and Verizon unlimited hotspots and our unlimited is really unlimited with now slowdowns or usage thresholds.

We chose to do this rather than add a SAT dish to our Class A.

We have Rokus attached to our HDMI distribution system in our Adventurer.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The only comment I have on this is that we go lots of places with little or no cellphone or WiFi service, or OTA TV. As long as we have a view of the southern sky, our Dish Wally works.

Recently, we were at the North Rim, Coral Pink Sand Duns SP in UT, and Pinnacles with no service. Well, Pinnacles had "WiFi" for $10 forever from the concessionaire, but it only worked close to the store, and then not very fast. The North Rim had low signal strength cell coverage near the canyon, probably bleedover from the South Rim.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Team

We have both WiFi and cell boosters on our RV, so it’s rare when we don’t have internet available. But we don’t head way off the beaten track with our 38’ Class A.

We carry some DVD box sets as backup if we need it. Just haven’t had that happen in the past 18-months.

It’s not for everyone but it works for us. Just saying that it can be done successfully, that’s all.

We gave up Dish Network at home too and stream our TV 100% of the time.
Old 01-26-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Itasca Owners

We carry books when we travel, they work anywhere!
Teamfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:57 AM   #6
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate it. Happy travels
Old 01-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Youtube TV looks promising too. Check them out.
Old 01-28-2019, 06:14 AM   #8
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Ok did not know about youtube. Will look into it. Thanks
Old 01-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
2015 Itasca Spirit 27QP

Depending on your service provider and location you may get poor performance using the cell hot spot. I've been to lots of places where the throughput with Verizon was abysmal and barely usable for e-mail.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:22 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Sling works well

We have Dish with Wally receiver and Sling. Dish is on living room TV and Sling in bedroom. As long as you are happy with channel selection and lack of local stations, Sling works. We tried using both cable jacks on the Dish, but difficult to make it work, must watch channels on the same satellite in both rooms, and Dish refuses to publish which channels are on which satellites so you can decide what to watch.

T-Mobile ONE Unlimited 55 with ONE Plus International gives not just unlimited data sent to phone, but also unlimited hotspot data. (we pay $85 for 2 lines with International on the one we use for the hotspot. I think it is $10 more now for new subscribers.) We use that for all our internet, but the phone with the hotspot on cannot be on the wireless network the hotspot creates. (You cannot cast from the hotspot phone to a TV without turning off the hotspot and the TVs will not be on the network if the hotspot is off.)

We also like flexibility of Sling when we have cell coverage (most of the time), but no clear view of the SW sky for the Dish -- the farther east you are, the lower the angle to the satellite. If we are not using the RV for over a month, we cancel both. For a short trip we sometimes turn on only the one we think will work best. In metro areas over the air antenna will pick up most of the local stations.

There is no such thing as a simple solution, but the Dish + Sling works for us.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:58 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

If anyone is thinking of cutting the cable and going to streaming only (using WiFi or Cellular Data), the attached will give you a comparison of the providers. You will need a Firestick, Roku, Apple TV, Chromecast, smart TV or other Internet streaming device for WiFi access. Your smart phone can provide streaming service as a hot spot or a WiFi repeater in your RV can provide the same service.
brican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Here is the attachment that didn't get posted because it was an Excel spreadsheet. I changed it to a MS Word Document. I hope it shows up.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Trying to attach a file again.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
We use DirecTV Now, which is very similar to Sling, except that it doesn’t allow streaming from a home DVR like Sling does.

We have both TT and Verizon unlimited hotspots and our unlimited is really unlimited with now slowdowns or usage thresholds.

We chose to do this rather than add a SAT dish to our Class A.

We have Rokus attached to our HDMI distribution system in our Adventurer.
Morning - Good Info.
How do you connect your ROKU to local Wifi at Campgrounds? - or do you? I can get all of MY local news channels on Roku, but I have to use my Cell as a Hotspot. I also have a Firestick and it allows Mirroring, but not local channels.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I also believe that with mirroring, the reception is less than adequate, but - it works.
Hardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 07:52 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Has anyone tried SLING in place of their sat dish?
Have you used your hot spot and sling? If you have unlimited data it looks like it will work without extra cost.
Added the Roku to the tv in my 2014 Trend. Looks like it works great.
We use a Roku Streaming Stick (plugs into an HDMI port on TV) and a modem from 4G Antenna Service (http://www.4gantennashop.com) which works on multiple cell towers, i.e., AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile). With a Roku, you can duplicate nearly anything available on DirecTV. We have one DirecTV receiver in our home, so we can use DirecTV NOW anywhere.Once you pay for the Roku Stick (on sale at times for $29.95) you own it, so your only cost is the 4G Antenna Service, you only pay for the 4G Modem (as low as $50/month). 4G is our home internet provider and since we just move the modem to the RV when we travel, we pay only one price and have the best of both worlds. We have been totally satisfied with 4G service over the past year and highly recommend it along with Roku. We were paying nearly $200/month for DirecTV and $100 for horrible DSL Service and not have both for half that price.
phowey63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:37 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Steaming Video, Satelite, Cable Connection

I use DirecTV satellite, PlaystationVue, Cable connection provided by Campground, Air Antenna, Verizon myfy. We access these through the use of a matrix box which allows routing to three different TVs in and outside the Coach. The front end is an Alexa Cube with provides the IR blaster to control everything and access to all your Amazon Prime content. The end result is we can use voice commands to Alexa to turn on the TV and access almost any content you can imagine. Of course Alexa is dependent on getting a good internet connect. If we have poor internet connection we use the Satellite, cable connection at campground, and air antenna in that order of preference. The ultimate capability is with a company called RVEAL - look it up on the web and play their video - this capability we use to view movies currently in theaters or almost any other movie and TV shows you can think of. RVEAL requires good internet connection. Because I use PlayStation, DirecTV and an Amazon Prime account at home my reoccurring cost for the Coach is for the DirecTV satellite receiver ($7/mo) and my unlimited data on the Verizon MyFy ($45/mo for unlimited data plan) - so for $52 a month I have a very reliable capability and most of the time I can access any content I want with a good internet connection. I am considering improving internet reliability by purchasing a WineGuard WiFI/Cell booster that would be installed on the roof.
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:56 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I don't have a Roku but I'm sure it connects to the WiFi at the campground the same way it connects to your WiFi at home.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:33 AM   #19
JBP
Winnie-Wise

I assume in a campground they give you a password you go to settings on your Roku. And do a search for that Wi-Fi.
The data follow the directions and should be good to go. Haven't tried it. Turn it on my phone and done it on my home network.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
Winnebago Watcher

We have a cell booster from T Mobile they sent us (I believe) and I think it helps a little....what Wifi booster do you use if you don't mind me asking ? Thanks in advance !!
littlelieb is offline   Reply With Quote