Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Sleep number bed issues, anyone have any?

Ladies and Gents,
I've done some searches and found a few threads on people selecting different mattress's but, not too much on our issues. We have an '04 Itasca Horizon D/P and it came with a Sleep number set of mattress's. that is, a "set" because there's two chambers for the single bed. A "his" and "hers". Well, ever since we've tried sleeping on it, for just about a year now, on various trips, we can't seem to get something right.

It seems that no matter what the settings are, mine on higher, hers lower, hers higher, mine lower, both equal-high or low, etc. etc. etc. we both seem to "lean" towards the middle of the bed. I've pulled that bed apart twice now and find no odd issues with any particular section. As those that know, there's an outer 4" thick perimeter wall of foam, then the two air chambers, and finally three "Sawtooth" sections of foam, in between the two air chambers. Is that the same way all or yours are laid out? By the way, there's a layer of sawtooth foam, about an inch thick, that covers only the air chambers, not the perimeter 4" walls.

Now, in all honesty, the sawtooth pieces of foam that are in the center(between the two air chambers) are a tad lower than the two air chambers. But, in all reality, it's the air chambers that are the issues. When I lay on my side, and adjust it to say, 50, and the pump stops, I still feel I've got a slight tilt towards the center of the bed.

Now, during any movement in bed during the night, I'll eventually end up crowding her out. And, her side does the same thing. So, we, during the night or even right after we hit the sack, are already bouncing off each other because this bed seems to make us do that.

I've checked the platform under the bed and it's around 3/4" thick and seems it's not "swaying" in the center at all. I was thinking that if the plywood base had a sway in it, then it would be accentuated in the two mattress chambers above but, that does not seem to be the case here.

We just got back from a 3 day trip to our local desert and nothing has changed. Well, upon return, we started messing around with that set of mattress's. I moved hers to my side and mine to hers. Then, climbed on and filled to 50, SAME THING! Hmmmmmmmmmm

I'm actually thinking of building a 1/4" ply wood gable system (it would sort look like a very shallow roof pitch with a peak) under the two chambers. I'd only raise the center section about 3/4" total. I can't for the life of me figure out why this supposed "expensive" and well thought of bed is doing this.

We've never had any issues like this before in any of our other coaches and they had cheap-o rv mattress's in them from the git-go. We've also never had an issue like this in our home mattress's either. I'm stumped on this one, anyone had any issues like this too?
Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

How about wrapping a 4 x 4 in a blanket and laying it down the middle of the bed, under the mattress.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Scooter,
Well Sir, a 4x4 would be a bit extreme but, here's what we did. We folded a blanket in such a manor that it was thicker in the middle, full length, and then folded again so as to taper it towards the edges of it. Sort of a pyramid effect, only not so pronounced. Then, we laid it under the air chambers and replaced all the 4" perimeter around the outer edges we could. The blanket was all bunched up at the head of the bed 'cause it was too long. But, we tried it anyway.

Well, the result was great. I inflated the chambers to 50 on both sides and I had absolutely no effects of attempting to roll towards the center of the bed and, none attempting me to roll towards the outside either.

So, this was and is a crude temporary remedy. Well, I think we're off to the foam rubber and industrial material supply store tomorrow and pick up some different thickness of foam and lay them in a tapered design to create that same effect. If we do it right, I'm thinking it will even stay in place while the bed is raised for access to the engine compartment and items stored under the bed. At least that's what we're hoping for anyway. Thanks for taking the time to read this and trying and help.
Scott
Old 05-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Ours is a single piece queen. It is flat all the way across no lean or tilt.

We really enjoy our sleep number.

Our only issue is the DW's remote display has gone out, just shows 2 backwards Ls.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Gosh, the Sleep Number set up in our 2004 Journey still works great with none of the issues you describe. It is a Queen size, has the central divider, but we can set our own numbers and not disturb each other all night.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

We have a sleep number in our 04 vectra and her side loses air throughout the night. I tried seeing if I could find a leak but had no success, I suspect a check valve in the pump assembly? For now, I have pumped up her side and plugged it and it doesn't seem to lose air, we are second owners so the manufacturer says no warranty. Can I buy a pump assembly separate?

John and Judy
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My wife agrees, she doesn't care for the sleep numbers. It's ok, and I wouldn't go out of my way to replace it. Then again, our trips are usually 2 or 3 weeks, never yet more than 6 weeks. Our personal sleep numbers are not that far apart, but the tendancy to roll toward the low side is present.
I would not consider a sleep numbers system for my home, if it became damaged in the RV I would replace with a regular or a foam mattress.
So I guess what I am saying is that you and your wife are not alone is being less than satisfied with sleep numbers.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Maybe you'd be better off posing you question to the Select Comfort help desk???? They have superb customer service....

Customer Service
Old 05-06-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottffss View Post
Maybe you'd be better off posing you question to the Select Comfort help desk???? They have superb customer service....

Customer Service
Well Sir,
I surely don't have a problem posing the question to them, that is when they're open. Today is Sunday and, we just got back from a trip and we've been putting up with this problem since purchase of this rig, about a year ago. We thought we'd try and work through it, adjust it, check it, and see if we were doing something wrong before called and looked like idiots because we didn't check this or that or try this or that.

We think we've exhausted all of whatever checks we can make to see if there's an obvious issue. So, I thought I'd try and see if any other folks had the same issue(s) with the same design. There are many mattress makers and suppliers out there and Sleep Number is supposed to be one of the premiere ones. We'd like to be able to keep it for a couple of reasons. One, because it's a pretty darn expensive mattress from the git-go. And second, if working correctly, it should allow us to independently adjust comfort levels without effecting each others sleep.

This is the first Sleep Number we've ever had and we thought "Wow" this is high end stuff. Well, so far, the "wow" factor is loosing air. So, we'll see when we call. Thanks to all for responding.
Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

We had a sleep number bed when we bought our Bounder three years ago. We tried everything we could but it really is just two air mattresses with a partition between. I finally solved the problem. I took it out and put in a nice regular queen size mattress. We now sleep like babies.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

We are on our 3rd Winnebago with a Sleep Number. Other than having to replace a compressor once we have been very happy with our beds. We have not experienced the roll toward center problem discussed in this thread. My DW would like to have one in our stick house.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Old 05-07-2012, 08:35 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I've never had a sleep number mattress, only slept on one in a motel. (I could hear neighboring rooms inflating their beds during the night!) I found it unremarkable, not at all creating the strong emotions I hear expressed by the radio people that have all been supplied free mattresses.

I'm wondering if a check valve to keep the two chambers of each side equal could have failed? Seems to me weight on one chamber would push air into the other one, thus exaggerating any unequal distribution of weight. With the foam cover off the air bags, if you kneel on one chamber, does the other one on that side get harder? I've seen this in air mattresses. If it does, I'd call Sleep Number and ask it this was supposed to do that.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I've never had a sleep number mattress, only slept on one in a motel. (I could hear neighboring rooms inflating their beds during the night!) I found it unremarkable, not at all creating the strong emotions I hear expressed by the radio people that have all been supplied free mattresses.

I'm wondering if a check valve to keep the two chambers of each side equal could have failed? Seems to me weight on one chamber would push air into the other one, thus exaggerating any unequal distribution of weight. With the foam cover off the air bags, if you kneel on one chamber, does the other one on that side get harder? I've seen this in air mattresses. If it does, I'd call Sleep Number and ask it this was supposed to do that.
BFlinn,
Well Sir, the type of Sleep Number we have is a "two chamber" version. Some apparently have a single piece version but ours is two. There are no valves what so ever that link the two together. In fact, one can go completely empty and the other one will be at full up or, what ever that sleeper has set it at.

You mentioned you can here neighboring hotel room folks inflating there beds, wow, that's some seriously loud pumps. Ours is right next to us, about 2.5 feet away and the situation has to be dead quiet for us to hear the pump. I certainly appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

It appears that, based on all the threads/posts I've read on the Sleep Number bed, that it looks like to me, a "slight" minority still like their Sleep Number beds. I could be off here but, that's how it appears to me. It makes no difference to me as, each person/couple must choose what's good for them. I don't think we'd have any problem liking the bed if, we could get it to act right in terms of sleeping or laying level from side to side. If any who's happy with theirs has not experienced this, well that's a good thing.

But, at least a few have experienced the same phenomena as we have and some, have been so dissatisfied that they rid themselves of the bed entirely. Ya gotta do wotcha gotta do and that's it. We'll try and keep this one and make it work until it won't. Then, we'll see what's next. One of the things that's important if and when we change mattress's is the fact that that bed, when lifted for engine access and stored items, bends in the middle. The Sleep Number seems to accommodate the bend fairly well.

If we get a thick, larger regular mattress in its place, I'm thinking it will not bend too well under those circumstances. But, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Well Gang,
I just got off the phone with Customer Service at Sleep Number and, they seemed to be concerned, and, the person I talked to seemed to think that the version he's sending out to me will remedy my situation. As stated earlier, ours is the normal, (what I think is normal) version of two air chambers separated by three, sawtooth pieces of foam. The two chambers are not connected in any way.

The new version he's sending me, for a total price of $101.00 including shipping, is two chambers, ZIPPERED together but, will include the center pieces of foam. That's suppose to stop that feeling of floating towards the center. We'll see. It's 30 trial so, if it doesn't remedy the issue, we'll back it will go and we'll take it from there.
Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Okay, I just took my Sleep Number bed apart to look at it. I have a queen bed with two chambers. The chambers are separated by ONE piece of the sawtooth foam which is about 4" high. (I think this may be your problem.) The top of the chambers are slightly higher than this divider foam. I agree that you tend to roll to the center if you sleep toward the middle of the bed which puts you on the edge of the chamber. If you sleep in the middle of the chamber then you stay put. Do you also have the foam topper on the mattress?

As far as whether or not people like the mattress it is like you said. Some do and some don't and it is your personal choice. The things I like are that my wife and I like different amounts of firmness. You can't get that with a regular mattress. I have arthritis and can sleep better without my shoulders hurting when I am on a Sleep Number bed. I like the ability to change the firmness occasionally. In fact, I find that I like a different firmness depending on whether I sleep on my back or my sides. Anyway, to each his own.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Old 05-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
Winnie-Wise

Scott,
I hope the new parts resolve the issue. I've been shocked at the cost of the Sleep Number bed RV mattress although I thought it might be a weight saving mattress in an RV where weight is important. A few years ago my wife and I bought a Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattress for our home. It was comfortable, but it takes a derrick and a couple of floor jacks to left the corners to fit a sheet! never thought to try lifting it in the showroom, felt embarrassed enough just laying on it in the store.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
Old 05-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

I have had the same experience with our Sleep Number bed. We have tried different arrangements of the foam pieces, bigger foam pieces, etc with no luck. We also have a problem with the mattress cover coming apart on the bottom.
All in all, I think the Sleep Number concept is the most successful advertisement gimmick of all times. We have a Comfort Air mattress system on a Craftmatic bed at our home and love it. The Sleep Number is cheaper made, has a poor cover and their support is pretty useless. They seem real concerned and are always ready to offer you a "fix" for several hundred dollars.
No more Sleep Number beds for us.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sage View Post
Okay, I just took my Sleep Number bed apart to look at it. I have a queen bed with two chambers. The chambers are separated by ONE piece of the sawtooth foam which is about 4" high. (I think this may be your problem.) The top of the chambers are slightly higher than this divider foam. I agree that you tend to roll to the center if you sleep toward the middle of the bed which puts you on the edge of the chamber. If you sleep in the middle of the chamber then you stay put. Do you also have the foam topper on the mattress?

As far as whether or not people like the mattress it is like you said. Some do and some don't and it is your personal choice. The things I like are that my wife and I like different amounts of firmness. You can't get that with a regular mattress. I have arthritis and can sleep better without my shoulders hurting when I am on a Sleep Number bed. I like the ability to change the firmness occasionally. In fact, I find that I like a different firmness depending on whether I sleep on my back or my sides. Anyway, to each his own.
Doug,
Well Sir, in searching for S/N bed info on the net, all the wife can find is the ones with a single piece of foam between the two air mattress's. Ours has the three pieces of saw tooth foam. I'm assuming they equal the thickness of a single piece like yours and they sure seem to be of a dence enough quality that they would not compress. Heck, I don't know. And, as far as your analisys on my issue, well, many, including the folks at Sleep Number thought that too. That is, I was tending to sleep towards the center of the bed and, were feeling the effects of the slight height difference in the air chamber and the sawtooth foam center pieces.

Well, that's not the case. I'm laying directly in the center (side to side) of MY air chamber. I've got equal distance on both sides of the air chamber when laying there doing the test(s) and feeling the "tilting" effect towards center. And, I get the same exact effects when I lay on her side, in the exact center of her air chamber. This is the oddest thing. Well, the new parts (air chambers) are on their way to us and in the mean time, I've folded a blanket and a beach towel in such a manor, that it's in a pyramid effect from the center of the bed out and although when the bed is completely made, sheets, blanket and bed spread, it has a slight crown in it, I lay completely perfect now, no tilting effects in any direction.

So, we'll see how the new parts act when installed. Thanks again for your thoughts here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Scott,
I hope the new parts resolve the issue. I've been shocked at the cost of the Sleep Number bed RV mattress although I thought it might be a weight saving mattress in an RV where weight is important. A few years ago my wife and I bought a Tempur-Pedic memory foam mattress for our home. It was comfortable, but it takes a derrick and a couple of floor jacks to left the corners to fit a sheet! never thought to try lifting it in the showroom, felt embarrassed enough just laying on it in the store.
BF,
That's part a problem with those memory foam units. They had tendency to be quite heavy, be it a 2" or a 4 or 6". Obviously the thicker, the heavier. We have one, a 2" on our bed in the house and while it works fine there, I'm not sure I'd like that much weight on our bed in the coach. Might be a bit tough to lift it when I need access to the engine or, she needs access to the stored stuff (tons) under the bed.
Scott
Old 05-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Watcher

Have the same problem hate sleepnumber . ended up buying a memory foam topper alot better
Old 05-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaFTit View Post
We have a sleep number in our 04 vectra and her side loses air throughout the night. I tried seeing if I could find a leak but had no success, I suspect a check valve in the pump assembly? For now, I have pumped up her side and plugged it and it doesn't seem to lose air, we are second owners so the manufacturer says no warranty. Can I buy a pump assembly separate?

John and Judy
Pumps, checkvalves and etc...
Air Bed Replacement Chambers for Airbeds and airbed replacement parts, pumps, softside air bed parts adjust-a-rest air pump, luxury support air pumps

Purchased new check valve from these guys rather than waiting for dealer to find ir and replace it on my 2011.
Closed Thread