Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Suncruiser came with a sleep number bed and we are very unhappy with it. We want to replace it with a "tempurpedic" type bed but want some recommendations from the forum. Prefer very firm mattress.
Thanks for your comments,
Sleepless in Penn Valley,
Dick
Old 03-23-2006, 06:03 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Our 2005 Suncruiser came with a sleep number bed and we are very unhappy with it. We want to replace it with a "tempurpedic" type bed but want some recommendations from the forum. Prefer very firm mattress.
Thanks for your comments,
Sleepless in Penn Valley,
Dick
Old 03-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What is it that you do not like about your Sleep Number bed?

It will get extremely firm - hard actually. Both people lay on the bed and start increasing the pressure a bit at a time on both sides (one side at a time) and get the pressure index up to around 60 to 70. If you are not on the bed when you try to set the firmness it will not really work right.

We have had Sleep Number (Sleep Comfort) mattresses for years and were happy to see one on our moho when we bought it.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
What is it that you do not like about your Sleep Number bed?

It will get extremely firm - hard actually. Both people lay on the bed and start increasing the pressure a bit at a time on both sides (one side at a time) and get the pressure index up to around 60 to 70. If you are not on the bed when you try to set the firmness it will not really work right.

We have had Sleep Number (Sleep Comfort) mattresses for years and were happy to see one on our moho when we bought it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Adrian as we also have a sleep number in our stick house as well as the MH. You "can" pump it all the way up to 100 if you want.

I have "noticed" 2 issues with it. First, it doesn't hold its pressures like our stick house version. I found that each night I need to "check it" before going to sleep. Sometimes the pressure can be off by 20 lbs. Not saying I have a leak, but when we are going through different terrain, I believe the pressure can change a bit. Secondly, we were told by the dealer to deflate the unit to 20 or so pounds after sleeping or before moving sites. This would be due to altitude differences when traveling. Apparently that factors in alot and can "blow up" the bed I'm told.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Tracy,

There is a lot of air in the chambers so altitude does have a impact on pressure in the chambers.

If you are not changing significant altitude and are still having to check inflation pressure nightly may I suggest the following procedure:

Try to determine if it is both chambers losing air. Disconnect and re-connect the air hoses at the chambers. If you suspect a slight slow leak try putting a silicone based paste (like Vasaline but do not use Vaseline). It will seal the connection better. I did this on one at my stick house when I had one. Try swapping the hoses - left to right and vice versa. See if you are still losing air and if so in which chamber.

Baring that, Sleep Number is really great about quality and support. They will ship another chamber to you immediately after you have made sure the leak is not at the connection.

Good luck

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Adrian, I'll take a looksy while I'm out in Anza Borrego this weekend. If you want to check out a cool place to stay, look at: The Springs at Borrego. The place is brand new and caters to big rigs. Not too far from you either!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 12:27 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I added a 4" 5 lb memory foam topper on our sleep number bed and both of us really like it.

'04 Itasca Suncruiser 38G, W22 Upgrade Kit, Henderson Trac Bar, Davis TruTrac, Steer Safe
Hamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the input from y'al. My problem with the air mattress is I drove from CA to GA, and back, solo. every night I had to fiddle with the thing and still kept rolling to the middle since my wife was absent. If I really pumped it up I felt like I was sleeping on a hill top tettering between the edge and the middle. Then there was the changing altitude adjustments. Anyway, I'm glad it works for most people but we're replacing it with a memory foam pillow top. P.S. anyone need a used one?

Dick
Old 03-23-2006, 01:38 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

I can validate Dick's experience with being the lone occupant of the bed - it is really best with two people in it. There is an easier solution other than changing the bed, Dick....

With two people in the bed it really is a joy to sleep on!

Trace - our bed will hold its pressure for weeks and weeks...

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

We didn't like the no mattress in the middle on our Sleep Number, had it taken out and a pillow top posturepedic put in.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:51 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Next time you get back to Georgia try THIS place.

We have the Orthopedic in our stick home and it's the best one we've ever had.

They'll cut a Queen down to fit an RV if you need it. They'll hinge a mattress if you need it.
We're going to replace the mattress in the 37B when the repairs on the stick home subside.

If nothing else, their web site offers hints on what to watch for when buying a mattress.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

When we were in San Diego (sealevel) we set our mattress to 50 and 65. Upon arrival at the Grand Canyon (7000') both sides were at 100. Lesson learned...

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have been selling mattresses at my home furnishing store for 31 years and my father and grandfather before me. I sell mostly innerspring beds and they are a good sleep. I also sell Temperpedic and am amazed at their almost cult-like following. The only real issue with the temperpedic issue is the weight they will ad to your RV.

I also have recently taken on Comfortaire which is the original air bed. It actually looks like a upgrade to the sleep number bed. At this point, I am underwhelmed.

Contact me privately if I can give you any more information. [email protected]
LaZBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 06:00 AM   #14

We also added the topper to our mattress and like it a lot better. As said by others, you do have to "deflate" the bed if going to higher elevations. I don't know if it's an "urban legend" but I have heard of mattresses blowing up when this wasn't done. I'm sure you know this, but you need to be laying on the bed to set the firmness.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 11:18 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Just a note to wrap this issue up, we had a custom mattress made - 3 1/2 inch memory foam over 5 1/2 inch dense foam, glued together. Just like our Tempurpedic only 1/2 the price. Donated my sleep number to a needy travel trailer.
Sleeping great,
Dick
Old 04-04-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I got a sleep number bed and installed it myself.My wife loves it and frankly I like it too. We did have a problem with the pump breaking down and at a very inoportune time. We were on a trip when we had to use all the sleeping accomodations when it deflated. Well, we took all the pillows away from the Grandchidren and stuffed them under some sleeping bags and toughed it out for two nights.When we got home exhausted from no sleep, I called the factory. They overnighted a new pump and sent the postage for me to send the other pump back.This was done despite the warranty had expired. No questions asked. The new pump works like a charm and the warranty has been extended again fom the date of the install. You can't beat that for service.We are thinking of using one in our home when our current mattress needs replacing.
Junior 913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 11:30 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I though DOT regs required that a mattress used in a motorhome had to meet certain flame retardency standards. Regardless of the regs I would not put in any mattress in a motorhome that was not certified as flame retardent. Also it would just add to the pain of haveing a fire in my motorhome to have the insurance provider deny coverage because the wrong mattress was installed.

Regards,

Neil
Old 04-05-2006, 12:01 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Godfather:
Just a note to wrap this issue up, we had a custom mattress made - 3 1/2 inch memory foam over 5 1/2 inch dense foam, glued together. Just like our Tempurpedic only 1/2 the price. Donated my sleep number to a needy travel trailer.
Sleeping great,
Dick </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We did much the same except we didn't have a Sleep Number bed. Our Winnebago came with a regular mattress that hurt my back. I was in a helicopter crash and I find a lot of things cause back pain. First I tried a 3 1/2" memory foam topper and that didn't help so I pulled the mattress and replaced it with 6" foam under the topper. For $450 we have a great sleep now.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #19
iRV2 Marketing

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JD Allen:
... I pulled the mattress and replaced it with 6" foam under the topper. For $450 we have a great sleep now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>My wife has back problems as well and we're using a foam topper that we bought at Camping World. Could you please explain what an under topper is for $450.00 and the source for same.

The foam topper helps me because I don't feel the springs off of the original mattress anymore but my wife needs more.

Thanks ...
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2006, 01:00 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DriVer:
My wife has back problems as well and we're using a foam topper that we bought at Camping World. Could you please explain what an under topper is for $450.00 and the source for same.

The foam topper helps me because I don't feel the springs off of the original mattress anymore but my wife needs more.

Thanks ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I'd be happy to pass it on.

I bought a 3.5" memory foam topper at Costco for about $85.00.

Next I bought a foam mattress from www.Knoxfoam.com, cut to custom size with a cover. I ordered the cover extra thick with the thought of placing both mattresses into the same cover but when it arrived they had changed the size of my cover fit their mattress. I guess they thought I had made a mistake. I should have explained and maybe they would have shipped me the extra thick cover. So far the mattress don't slip, they stay in place well.

I believe I paid about $365 for the 6" thick custom cut foam mattress with a cover.

I also sent Knoxfoam an e-mail asking about the flammability of their product but because they advertise their mattress as RV mattresses I suspect their mattresses meet flammability codes if there are any.

Update: Knox Foam has sent me an answer. Here is what they said about their mattresses.

"Yes, our foams are poured with flame retardants in them. They are
gauranteed to meet or exceed the CA-117 Bulliten for being flame retardant."

Good luck.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote