Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

I built some blocks using two 4x4's side by side with a 2x10 plank on top. That gives me about 5 inches of height. The manual said to not use more than 3" (hindsight) as the jacks may not be able to retract correctly (hung up on block).

Since my grassy area next to the MH is a few inches higher than the driveway, I'm having problems with the steps. I am not using the jacks to level (16") but just put them down enough manually to have the step cleare the grassy area. So about 3-4 inches if extension on the front jacks. I'm noticing that after a few hours, the steps have gone lower and are on the ground. I have to use the levelers to bring it back up for proper closing and extending. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the jack(s).

Any comments?
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I built some blocks using two 4x4's side by side with a 2x10 plank on top. That gives me about 5 inches of height. The manual said to not use more than 3" (hindsight) as the jacks may not be able to retract correctly (hung up on block).

Since my grassy area next to the MH is a few inches higher than the driveway, I'm having problems with the steps. I am not using the jacks to level (16") but just put them down enough manually to have the step cleare the grassy area. So about 3-4 inches if extension on the front jacks. I'm noticing that after a few hours, the steps have gone lower and are on the ground. I have to use the levelers to bring it back up for proper closing and extending. I'm thinking there may be a problem with the jack(s).

Any comments?
Old 08-23-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Have you checked for leaks? My jack hoses were routed in such a way that they rubbed on the frame. They had to replace and reroute all of the hoses for the jacks.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
You absolutely have a problem... First raise your jacks and check the fluid level. Hopefully thats all it is.
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:17 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What he said - it's probably a bad valve.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:42 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Long:
You absolutely have a problem... First raise your jacks and check the fluid level. Hopefully thats all it is. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Never check your jack fluid level while cold - it will seem low, but that is normal for a cold system. Drive the rig for a couple of hours and then check.

For more HWH tips (from Paul Smith of HWH), go to my web site and click on the RV (picture of my coach.)

Your coach might settle one time after a day on the road (as the hot fluid cools, the jacks could settle a little.)

Call HWH tomorrow and run the situation by them - they are very helpful.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

What is driving going to do to heat up HYD fluid in jack system?
It is independent of the engine.
Make sure jacks are stored and slides retracted before checking HYD oil.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It's also not clear to me how driving for a while would affect the temperature in the HWH system.

When checking the fluid level the jacks should be retracted and the slides should typically all be in--however, check your HWH docs on this. On my 36RD the passenger-side bedroom slide should be OUT when checking levels since the cylinders on that slide mechanism are actually extended when the slide is in.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Paul didn't explain the correlation between driving and warm fluid, but nevertheless he was very adamant about not adding fluid based on a low fluid level with a long-parked coach.

Paul is a primary spokesman for HWH, so I'll trust his advice.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:51 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

The heat build up in driving generally comes from the close proximity of the tank or the lines to the exhaust. Also you will tend to get some heat build up under the coach from city driving in warm weather.

The fluid get hot and expands a bit.

Ken
Old 08-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

It appears that it came from the fill/vent cap. All of the connections looked good without fluid around them. Since the MH was 6 degrees down to the front when I let the jacks up, I'm thinking the pressure forced some out of the vent/filler cap. I will be keeping my eye on it. I placed a plastic bucket under it and there was about a table spoon of oil that dripped into the bucket. Of course that was after the initial surge.

I only live about 10 miles from the dealer so they will have my warranty work. I may just pull it in and have them check it out anyhow.

Typically hydraulic fluids are checked when everything is in the "relaxed" position, (normally retracted) because when extended the fluid is pumped into the line and will give a false reading in the reservoir.

I still have not gone through all the manuals.

I may have solved the step bindingon the grass. I put two 2x10 with 1/2" plywood for 3" height and rolled the front tires up on it. Saves me from digging up the lawn and putting in a small patio landing!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
The heat build up in driving generally comes from the close proximity of the tank or the lines to the exhaust. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Don't believe that's the case with pushers - my reservoir is up front

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also you will tend to get some heat build up under the coach from city driving in warm weather.
The fluid get hot and expands a bit.

Ken </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's a very likely scenario

Old 08-24-2008, 01:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I agree with you, John. But the question remains . . . if you're not pumping it, how does it heat up? Are you supposed to cycle it a few times before checking it, or what.

We're working on a recurring leak around the hydraulic controller / manifold. I'm starting to get peeved. It leaked when we bought it, and has been "fixed" 3 times in two years - now it's back worse than ever. If you extend the slides AND the jacks, it dumps about 4 ounces of fluid on the ground / pavement!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Just curious, does he have HWH jacks? I believe he has a Destination, my Destination has Kwikee Jacks. As I stated in my previous post, my leak was in a hose where it crossed over the frame rails.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
We're working on a recurring leak around the hydraulic controller / manifold. I'm starting to get peeved. It leaked when we bought it, and has been "fixed" 3 times in two years - now it's back worse than ever. If you extend the slides AND the jacks, it dumps about 4 ounces of fluid on the ground / pavement! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check the 4 big hex-head bolts on the top of the manifold. I just recently had a large leak and discovered all four of them were loose! Tightening them fixed the leak.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Thanks, Chris! The motorhome is tomorrow's project - so I'll be sure to check it out and update!

Old 08-24-2008, 06:48 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have the Kwikee jacks.

Now I wonder if at the factory if they heat up the fluid before they top off the holding tank. Hmmm! Probably not.