Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Our UA is up for sale. Since we've only traded previous coaches, I was wondering what advertising methodology those of you who were successful in selling your own rig used to get the buyer.

We have a replacement in mind but the trade in value is much less than we are willing to accept.

Any suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Our UA is up for sale. Since we've only traded previous coaches, I was wondering what advertising methodology those of you who were successful in selling your own rig used to get the buyer.

We have a replacement in mind but the trade in value is much less than we are willing to accept.

Any suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:42 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I tried some of the intenet sites and did not get a reply.

I advertised in the Richmond and Norfolk Newspapers and sold it in North Carolina through the add in Norfolk. The less you are willing to take the easier it is to sell. Like homes your coach needs to be priced right.

Good Luck

Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:13 AM   #4

I agree with the "price it right" comment. You should ask NADA Low Retail (don't add in any options), and be willing to take 10% less than that.

I've bought and sold cars, motorcycles and motorhomes on Ebay.....If you post alot of pictures, be honest about the condition, and of course price it right, it will go on there.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We agree with that pricing thinking.

We're not pricing it at the 'this is how much it's worth to me' level. We're just trying to find a sweet spot between what the dealer offered and what the dealer could expect to 'realistically' sell it for, based on these horrible market conditions.

Thanks for the newspaper suggestions.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:20 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Low NADA retail is $98,430.

If you want to sell it I'd price it at $98,500.

If you get an undecided buyer I would consider throwing in some cash towards an extended warranty.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

When I sold our 2002 Journey, I advertised it in 2 online sites as well as the local newspaper. My pricing strategy was to sell it for what it was worth to a potential buyer. Lots and lots of pictures of the rig are important. Don't scrimp on the ad or on taking lots of photographs. In my case, not only did I post lots of photo's online, I also sent links to about 30 pictures I had taken of our rig to everyone who emailed me about the motorhome

I carefully studied the pricing of other similiar rigs in the online advertising sites I planned on using and strategically priced mine as the next to the lowest priced rig. At that price, it would attract the attention of potential buyers, but I would remain firm in my price.

Too many times, I see products advertised at high prices and folks complain about not getting inquiries. I use the strategy to price it low to begin with in order to get buyers to call you! Once they choose your ad over the countless other ones you've got half the job done.

I had 3 buyers lined up for our rig within a few days. One immediatly sent a deposit and the deal was closed and payment in full received in less than 2 weeks.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

on my last one. I used RVtrader.com and lots of pictures. Sold in 2 weeks (3 years ago). Now I would try Craigs list, it's free and a lot of people use it. I bought 2 cars last year off it and sold one on it.

Seattle, WA
rvcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 05:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Our neighbor sold his large 5th wheel in 3 days on Craig's list, from a buyer in Calif, sight unseen. Guess he had it priced right.

In 2004 we sold our TrailManor trailer over the internet from a couple in SoCal. I posted on as many free sites as I could find, it took about 2 months.

Agree with having pics. I included a link to my AOL webspace when I could, where I had a lot of pics of the TM.

One thing I found out is there are web sites out there that snatch up your ad and copy it to their site. I was getting inquires a year later after I took it off from the sites I posted it on. I guess this is a good thing.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Here'sa link to a discussion we had a couple years back. I sold my '99 Chieftain by parking next to the freeway with the price on a BIG sign in the windshield. I had it all polished up and looking like new.
Good Luck,