Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Select Comfort display problem

I have a Select Comfort matress in my '07 38T. The display stopped working on one side. It still adjusts the firmness but I have no idea what number it is. Select Comfort says they will send me a replacement pump unit for $95. I said I will use it without a display until it quits, then get a conventional matress. I have the extended warrantee, but that costs $200 each time. Any one had a similar issue? How did you handle it?
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:50 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
I have a Select Comfort matress in my '07 38T. The display stopped working on one side. It still adjusts the firmness but I have no idea what number it is. Select Comfort says they will send me a replacement pump unit for $95. I said I will use it without a display until it quits, then get a conventional matress. I have the extended warrantee, but that costs $200 each time. Any one had a similar issue? How did you handle it?
If your air matress is like mine it has two controllers. One for each side of the matress. One of my controllers went bad so I just spliced a tee into the air line coming from the pump that works with the good controller so that the good controller fills both sides of the matress to the same pressure. You will need to plug off the air line coming from the pump that the bad controller used to work. Sounds confusing but it works.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes Sammie, sounds like they are the same. I can pump up each side with the respective controller but one display is blank. Just shows a light and no numbers. Only trouble is I don't know how firm it really is. I pump it up "by the seat of my pants". Thanks for replying.
PORCHDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I also had the number problem. Partial numbers would show at times. I contacted Select Comfort and they sent me a replacement pump and remote control. The single wireless control will control both sides individually and has memory settings for both sides. My wife used a paper punch to make small rounds of the seam tape that is between the wall panels in the motorhome to cover the holes left from the old dual controls. We got the tape from Winnebago at the last GNR. The remote is far better than the old remotes and we store it in the nightstand drawer. We were under warranty.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

On our mattress at least we only need to set the pressure maybe once a year so what is the problem with moving the control to the other side?
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I had the same problem with our home select comfort bed and got the same replacement that Jerry describes. I had to pay partial cost as my bed was older.

Before I got the replacement, I would pump it up to the max (100) and then count down 5 for every push of the button until I got to about 50 (10 presses).

I find mine needs an adjustment almost every night as my wife pumps it up to 100 to make the bed...
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpreece View Post
On our mattress at least we only need to set the pressure maybe once a year so what is the problem with moving the control to the other side?
You obviously don't travel through the mountains! The first time we flatlanders went from 750' to over 6,000', our mattress was hard as a rock and both sides registered 100. Now we reset out mattresses every time it looks like we are going to have an increase in elevation during our trip.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We had the same issue and paid to have the new pump with wireless controller sent. The new pump had shorter air supply hoses and so would no longer fit. They sent extension hoses out. No charge on that. My only suggestion would be to ask the representative to escalate your issue. Recently, our daughter's dog ate her mattress cover (the parts that hold the air chamber and foam). A new one was going to be almost as much as a new bed. But when it was escalated a level they gave her a really good deal on the replacement cover. I can't remember what she told me the department was named, but any way you look at it, it was excellent customer service.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I cheated

Hi PORCHDOG,
Take a peek at sleep number controllers on ebay. They're a lot cheaper.
Have Fun!
Milt
Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David and Fran View Post
We had the same issue and paid to have the new pump with wireless controller sent. The new pump had shorter air supply hoses and so would no longer fit. They sent extension hoses out. No charge on that.
I have a new pump and wirelss remote controller in transit from Select Comfort. Same problem as others have had, lost 7 segments in the middle digit of one wired remote. Since you (David & Fran) have a 40KD as we do, do you have a queen or king bed? Where is your pump located? We have a queen. Our pump is located in the space under the nightstand on the left side of the bed (side of the bed toward the rear of the coach). Since you needed longer hoses I assume the old hoses are not reusable?

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our pump was located under the nightstand on the same side as yours. We have a king bed. The hoses are not interchangeable. We thought they might be when we had the nightstand apart to change it out and saw that they wouldn't fit. The new hoses are about 1/2 the length and so for a while the controller just sat on the nightstand. Now they are longer. The hoses just clip together with the same type of clip that connects the hoses to the bed chambers. Our controllers quit on another bed (in the stick house) and those were sent out free of charge. When this set came, it had really long hoses. Who can guess what is up with that??
Old 01-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

One of my controllers is also bad after only 4 years. Sounds like a common problem. Too bad they don't make the controller with its own plug so you could just change the bad part out.
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:16 PM   #13

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PORCHDOG View Post
I think if you like the Select Comfort mattress, I'd pay the $95 and get it fixed properly. But that's just me.
offthewall is offline   Reply With Quote