Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">How secure do you all feel in your Winnebago's ?? Have you ever known anyone to be a break in victim ?? Ours has the deadbolt and only one entry door which I really like. I am wondering because there may be times when we want to let the kids stay with the dog in the MH and go for a walk or something. Our oldest will be 13 in two months and is just starting to babysit here at home. I am NOT talking about leaving the campground or leaving them alone at a truck stop or anything !! With everything locked up tight,the dog and a cellphone...should we be worried ?? Is it easy to break into these Winnie's ?? </span>

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">How secure do you all feel in your Winnebago's ?? Have you ever known anyone to be a break in victim ?? Ours has the deadbolt and only one entry door which I really like. I am wondering because there may be times when we want to let the kids stay with the dog in the MH and go for a walk or something. Our oldest will be 13 in two months and is just starting to babysit here at home. I am NOT talking about leaving the campground or leaving them alone at a truck stop or anything !! With everything locked up tight,the dog and a cellphone...should we be worried ?? Is it easy to break into these Winnie's ?? </span>

Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good question, a lot comes down to where I am camping. Often my wife and I take a walk around the campground and our boys will stay in the MH and read or play a game. I will draw the shades and we double lock both doors. As we are ATV riders we usually make a point to get to know all of our neighbors pretty well. Sometimes our oldest has opted to stay behind with brother and we'll go on a short ride, they both know the emergency drills and where to go in case of an issue.

If I felt uncomfortable about leaving my kids in campground I wouldn't - then again I wouldn't stay in a campground where I felt uncomfortable in the first place.
Y-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The wife and I lock the doors while the kids watch a movie. We go for a walk around the campground. We have a set of Motorola walketalkies that we got at Kmart. They work everywhere in the campground. I routinelly call them, if they don't answer, I head back in a hurry. Never had to though.
Old 01-30-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Shannone&Chad
I would also teach them how to exit the motorhome in case of fire or any other emergency.Just a thought!Since you have a dog as (we have four),we keep their leeds near the door and they always have their collars on with tags.
Ed Gardiser
Escondido,Ca.
04 Vectra
87 Nissan PickUp
FMCA
Ed Gardiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

We've never felt unsafe at any place where we have stayed. Had one or two that we drove past or pulled out of, but that is another story!

DW did go to a seminar at GNR and was told that it was a good idea to put the steps in at night. The logic was that it would be hard for a thief to break the door window and reach in to unlock the door with the steps up since the window would be harder to access from ground level.

Ever since, I've had to be real careful when taking the dogs out to make sure the steps have time to extend!

Chris

Murfreesboro TN
The Clock Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

How safe is your RV?
Well it's only as safe as the area your staying in.
Most CG's are safe but there a few, very few that are located in areas that are questionable, those you turn around and leave. We've done that only one or two times in the past 3 years on the road. Question? If you wouldn't live there would you stay there?

We have a medium dog, but, we have an In case of emergency rescue dog sticker on the door. A large dog water dish and heavy lead stays outside. Good visual...
As far as security while the kids are there? Escape route and cell-phone for 911 works very well. When your not around the neighbors if asked will keep an eye out, ask, We do! You're all there for the same reason and enjoy the same things and everyone is registered at the office.
The best place for someone to come into you RV when no ones around or your RV is left somewhere for any length of time is though the roof vents. Break the lid and jump right though pushing them out of the roof into the RV. Nothing to see from the outside, i.e. broken windows or doors everything still looks great! Remember teens and young adults are much smaller then MOST RV folks! LOL After they go out the door or emergency window!
Enjoy your RV.
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 07:25 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Getting good advice for sure. A good fire survival plan is essential....make sure everyone knows the escape routes and how to open them. Also, get at least two good, large fire ext. and place them strategically in and around the rig. We have one in the bedroom, one up front, one in an outside compartment and one in the TOAD. I don't expect to be able to extinguish much of a fire but want every chance to buy critical escape/rescue time. We saw a TT catch fire and burn to cinders very quickly at Emerald Isle, NC one year. The two occupants barely had time to exit.

As Ed noted, if you ever leave your dog in the rig while you take a jaunt, make sure others know. We have a nice sign with the dog's cute face that says, "In case of Emergency, Please Rescue Our Dog Bear." That lets anyone know there is a dog there (perhaps discouraging a potential bad guy) and also lets the good guys have a chance to save my buddy if necessary.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

My father and mother were in a store shopping while they were on a trip in their motor home. Returning to their rig in the parking lot they saw a car speed away. When they got to their rig it had been gone through and some medical supplies were taken.

I haven't done it yet but I plan to buy a small safe and bolt it somewhere into my motor home to keep cash, credit cards, jewelery, and such.

DW asked for a safe for Christmas so we just installed a safe in our house. Our house has been broken into twice. After the second break in we got an alarm system and we haven't had a problem for 20 years.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Clock Meister:

DW did go to a seminar at GNR and was told that it was a good idea to put the steps in at night. The logic was that it would be hard for a thief to break the door window and reach in to unlock the door with the steps up since the window would be harder to access from ground level.

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Never thought about the steps...duh!! That's an excellent idea, will immediately get in the habit of bringing them in. And putting them back out, so I don't take an unwanted trip...lol. This is why I love this forum!! Sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference.

06'Winnebago Adventurer 35A
It's A Good Life!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My father and mother were in a store shopping while they were on a trip in their motor home. Returning to their rig in the parking lot they saw a car speed away. When they got to their rig it had been gone through and some medical supplies were taken.

I haven't done it yet but I plan to buy a small safe and bolt it somewhere into my motor home to keep cash, credit cards, jewelery, and such. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Now that I think about it, I bet there are people that just lie in wait at truck stops and Walmarts...they know people want to get out and stretch their legs, grab some food, etc. I will DEFINITELY make sure that we always lock the doors when we get out of the RV while on the road !!</span>

Old 02-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The Clock Meister:

Chris </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great advise here!!
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Pulling the steps in at night is a great security idea! Wish I had thought of it after all the camping and traveling we have done. But remember to put them back out in the morning before stepping out or you might really get a wake up call! I not so sure buying and building in a safe is such a good idea, we know someone who had a builtin safe in their rv, and they said it was very well built in, when gone for a while thay came back and found the safe missing and the mess made from removing the safe. They are going to replace the safe but not keep anything in it except a "note" to the thief if it is taken again and will keep their valuables hidden somewhere else. I guess you could say the safe will be a "decoy" to protect their valuables.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

At the campgrounds we go to, we make friends with our neighbors on the day we arrive if not the following day at the latest. Most RVers are good folks. When we walk around the campground, we carry an FRS to communicate with the kids back at the MH. Also when our kids walk around tha camp they carry an FRS with them. Traveling, when we get down, we close all the shades, including the front curtain. Eliminate any view inside the MH. Nothing seen, no temptations.

Relax, drive safely, and enjoy God's creations.

2006 Sightseer 33T, W18, 8.1L
mis3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:33 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Lil Darling...
we have a little FIRE SAFE that we keep extra keys and important papers in when traveling. My husband who is newly retired from the police department just got his federal firearms card so we can now travel with his weapon. he is permitted to carry it in all the states. Something that the government created after 9/11. There are also after market security alarms that can be put on the RV.
campernut2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 03:02 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We witnessed a fire in a motorhome that burnt to the ground (people were safe) and they had to wait for it to cool so they could get to their safe. they then pulled out their insurance papers and other documents. We carry a safe for the fire protection of documents.

We ourselves had a coach catch fire and were glad we had the safe even though we did not have very extensive fire damage.
Old 02-23-2007, 11:12 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Be sure to lock your door when you are refueling. I have seen so many others leave their door open, then walk to the other side of the MH to add the fuel. Considering how long it takes to fill the tank, someone could easily enter at a crowded station and be off with purses, laptops, etc. before your tank was half filled.

Our homes on the road
JudyandJim is offline   Reply With Quote