Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Scary Video from AZ Expert

AZ Expert has just published a scary video about a 2014 Suncruiser roof. In the video he comments that Winnebago's ten year roof guarantee covers its materials not it's construction:

BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:27 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I think winnebago is living off a name it developed years ago. I have asked them questions about our aspect and got run around answers as Ive posted on the other site. Winnebago is not alone in shoddy manufacturing but for a brand that bases it prices off its name welllll..............
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:46 AM   #3
Site Team

The roof warranty remains the same as it has always been. When I watched the video, he noted a tree or something hit the roof and may have caused the structural damage. Sounds more like an insurance claim to me.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 11:58 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnut View Post
The roof warranty remains the same as it has always been. When I watched the video, he noted a tree or something hit the roof and may have caused the structural damage. Sounds more like an insurance claim to me.
"What do you mean by The roof warranty remains the same as it has always been."? Is AZ Expert wrong in his characterization?

If you listen carefully, the only tree damage was to the satellite dome and maybe a little on the driver side cove portion. The problem appears to be the luan delaminating from the foam, pretty much all over the roof which doesn't sound like tree damage. I'd be surprised if the insurance decides to cover it.

I hope he posts an update.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
"What do you mean by The roof warranty remains the same as it has always been."? Is AZ Expert wrong in his characterization?

If you listen carefully, the only tree damage was to the satellite dome and maybe a little on the driver side cove portion. The problem appears to be the luan delaminating from the foam, pretty much all over the roof which doesn't sound like tree damage. I'd be surprised if the insurance decides to cover it.

If he did damage, and kept driving, the wind would have the effect of peeling the rest of the roof from the insulation. We call it pressure penetration. Also moisture can get in and damage the adhesives.

But I will say that I went up on my roof after only a year, and there were many places where the seals were open. Not very good QC, or design.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:46 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

If it were mine and wasn't covered by warranty or insurance I'd be tempted to drill holes on top and pump in some adhesive, then jack up the foam from inside using plywood to distribute the force on the ceiling, then fix all the holes maybe with Eternabond patches.

Alternatively the ceiling material could be removed and holes drilled in the foam to inject the adhesive then replace the material. That way no roof holes to patch.
Old 10-07-2021, 09:07 PM   #7
Site Team

I meant that Winnebago hasn’t changed their warranty recently, to my knowledge, and this is how it is has always been:
• Structural Warranty 3 yr./36,000 miles
• Roof Warranty 10 yr. parts and labor
• Roadside Assistance 1 yr. complimentary

I may be wrong, but the roof skin damage at the front was tree damage, and not covered by warranty. I guess the insurance would have to decide if that also caused the structural damage in the middle (the trampoline). If not, since they are out of the three year structural warranty, they may be left holding the bag unless his insurance covers or Winnebago steps up. Regardless, it’s a bad deal for the owner and shouldn’t happen on such a recent coach.

I also follow AZExperts YouTube channel and have learned a lot from him. I’ll will be interested to see how this ends.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 07:01 AM   #8
Site Team

The tree damage clouds the responsibility for this one RV.

We all know that all Winnebago Roofs do not exhibit this kind of failure. Right?

If this RV had not experienced the tree damage then the fault would be much clearer, but as it is, it seems to me, that this one Winnebago has serious roof damage AND it had a serious tree strike, not just a little branch scrape. How much the two things are related? We just don’t know.

And, neither does James, AKA Az Expert.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post

I dumped my 2015 Sunstar after the filing started coming loose the second time.
68SILVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 10:39 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

I want to know why these idiots are laughing and dancing on the roof? I don't find this issue funny. This is someone's misfortune... Just my two cents!
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago roof damage

Luan delaminating from the foam does not account for the structural sagging of the ceiling inside the coach.
Chuckmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 07:20 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

If you watch the AZ Expert channel on youtube, he does a lot of Winnebago roofs or at least he has provided a lot of videos redoing Winnebago roofs on older and some newer models. While I don't necessarily agree 100% with his methodology, I'd say he does a pretty good job of showing poor workmanship by Winnebago on their factory roof install and the installs vary, showing little to no consistency on Winnebago's process. I'm also quite sure his reroofing represents a small percentage of the Winnebago market but it does make me wonder about the overall quality of Winnebago. We purchased a Winnebago because they claimed to be able to repair or fix anything on any of their models, regardless of age. When I first read this statement on their website, I didn't believe it possible. After my visit to their facility with our 2001 Ultimate, I found that not only could they not repair everything, they repaired or serviced items not on the ticket to be serviced and left my rv unplugged with a full refrigerator despite notes and discussing with many techs and service manager. I was very disappointed in their process and the treatment by some of their staff. There were others their with brand now top of the line Winnebago diesel coaches trying to get roof leaks repaired under warranty and not having any luck after months of being there and broken promise after broken promise. This was 3 years ago, so I can only suspect that things are worse now after some of the current events.

My apologies, I did not intend to run off on a tangent about Winnebago and as someone else posted the company has gone to the wayside on service and quality like most companies have. Warranty or not, quality of workmanship, ie: true craftsmanship is basically a thing of the past or very rare these days not to mention materials. And why does Winnebago use screws that rust on the exterior, I'd gladly pay an extra dime or so per screw for something a little more rust resistant..

Happy RVing..
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 12:08 PM   #13
Site Team

I'm sorry for anyone that has roof issues, especially ones that appear to come from the factory.

When watching YouTube and AZ Expert you have to realize that since he's replaced a few Winnebago roofs on his channel and all of us here have shared links to them here and on other forums that he attracts many Winnebago owners with roof problems from all over the country.

And... he's said that YouTube "viewers" had brought him their Winnebagos in the last two roof replacement he's documented. So, yes, he's seeing more of this issue.

Winnebago builds a very good product. The vast majority of us will never have a problem with our RV's roof.

EVERY RV manufacturer - heck, every car builder, boat builder, home builder builds a lemon, a clinker, a dud, a problem child occasionally. This is not indicative of a systemic failure or complete lack of quality. Even here on this forum, where people come to find help with problems, most of us would say our Winnebago is pretty well built. NO, I didn't say ALL OF US would say that - just most of us.