Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I had DirecTV in my last coach, but I didn't like the programming much. I like sports and DirecTV was always "nickle and diming me" for extra stations. DISH seems to include lots of these stations in its basic package so I would like to try them. I also like the Winegard "Road Trip" low profile antenna, but don't know anyone using it with DISH TV. One of my other "gripes" was having my coach underneath trees in most campgrounds I go to. I couldn't get a good signal and that combined with my older KVH LM (supposed automatic) dish, wound up being a nightmare and never really worked to expectations. I did not order a new dish for my coach (which would have been a King Dome I believe) figuring I could have CW install the Road Trip, or simply buying a portable, but I was wondering if anyone has good experience with these things and can provide me some insight as to what I should do regarding both the dish and the service.

Thanks!!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had DirecTV in my last coach, but I didn't like the programming much. I like sports and DirecTV was always "nickle and diming me" for extra stations. DISH seems to include lots of these stations in its basic package so I would like to try them. I also like the Winegard "Road Trip" low profile antenna, but don't know anyone using it with DISH TV. One of my other "gripes" was having my coach underneath trees in most campgrounds I go to. I couldn't get a good signal and that combined with my older KVH LM (supposed automatic) dish, wound up being a nightmare and never really worked to expectations. I did not order a new dish for my coach (which would have been a King Dome I believe) figuring I could have CW install the Road Trip, or simply buying a portable, but I was wondering if anyone has good experience with these things and can provide me some insight as to what I should do regarding both the dish and the service.

Thanks!!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 01-11-2006, 07:34 AM   #3
Administrator Emeritus

Datastorm users forum

Trace,the DataStorm users forum has a whole section devoted to Dish/Directv issues....
While you'll get some Winnie owner's opinions here,there's some good reading there as well.

BTW....wonder where the sig pics went?
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hey Bob,

I looked through the site and didn't find too much. In fact, I haven't found much acros all my searches on the Net. Strange. 1 post on RV.net says the Roadtrip is meant for in-motion use where if you are stationary, you may develop more dew on the housing (seeing how it's flat instead of a dome). In-motion viewing is supposed to be good. That was from a poster that had Directv I believe. I'm curious about DISH and who uses it.

Thanks Guy...

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 01-11-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

While at GNR this summer, I also heard that the housing flat surface (Phased Array antenna) has problems with dew and light rain causing poor reception when stationary. Even my dome (Movin' View by Winegard) sometimes has the problem. Winegard said to apply ProtectAll monthly. Seems to help.

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 06:26 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

BigTrace,
I have the 16" King Dome and use Dishnet. I think they now have a 12". I was told by everyone to go with Direct TV but I had Dishnet at home and just took the receiver out of my spare bedroom. It works like a charm but I have only used it in California so I don't know about cross country use. I hope this helps. Happy Camping.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:52 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

We use DirecTV and have since 1996 with no problems. We also had the Winegard Movin View, both the in motion and non and had nothing but misery. We spent three years trying to get it to work and finally ended up moving the view off the roof. We now are using KVH in motion dual LNB and it works like a charm.

One thing we did this time is purchase and install at Camping World so that IF we have a problem any Camping World can work on it and also can do any necessary updates in software.

Our new coach came set up for Dish (have to change the switch) and with an auto dish but we removed it and had the dome installed since here in the west wind is a major factor in being able to keep the dish steady.

Winegard's customer service left alot to be desired.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:09 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Savannah,apparently Wineguard has been trying to get back in Winnebago's good graces....As evidence of that,I can tell you their manuals are included in the "entertainment" supplement to my coach.
I too was one of the Movin View owners that "moved out" of Wineguard.
In their defense I've learned that the problems I had with their product in early 2004 model year,were eventually corrected by later recalls.
I'm not a Wineguard fan,but to each their own.

My new coach came Kingdome and I'm using Directv....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

We have encountered problems with satellite reception on several occasions. It seems that the picturesque wooded sites are always the ones that unfortunately limit reception. Several times we have tried to move the coach to get a clear view. Whenever we do that it seems we have to sacrifice something like the view, the utility connections, deployment of the awning, slide, etc, etc.

Finally 2 years ago we bought an extra dish, a tripod, a couple of signal splitter/combiners, a selector switch, and some cable. I put one of the splitter/combiners in the rear compartment and plugged it into the cable TV connection with a short cable. The splitter/combiner has a connection for either a cable or satellite connection. The signal runs through the built-in cable to the front of the coach.

I put the second splitter/combiner at the other end of the cable with 1 lead going to the cable input on the selector box and the second going to the new selector switch. The original satellite input to the selector box was also rerouted to the new selector switch. The output from the selector switch is routed back to the satellite input on the selector box

Now when we get into a situation where the dish on the coach is blocked we just get out the auxiliary dish and set it up. Select the #2 dish on the selector switch and away we go. It generally takes less than 15 minutes setup and tune in the new dish. It's not quite as convenient as just pushing the button on the built in system but you can pretty much setup where you want and still get satellite reception.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Looks like the consensus seems to be go with a domed dish, not a "low-profile" version, or if goig with the low-profile, make sure you wipe it off in the morning or maybe coat it with rain-ex or something similar. I think the new coach will be set up with a satellite feed from the outside so I may not have to do all the wiring to use a secondary satellite dish. I am going to have Camping World install a dish when I get the coach back here to the west coast. Then it will be a matter of DISH or DTV. The jury is still out.. We do most of our traveling within the southwest region so maybe that makes the decision easier.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD