RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 81
Safety lighting on slide out

Our Vista 29V has a driver side slide out. When we are parked on the street it extends "into the traffic lane". Has anybody put any safety lighting on the slide out to prevent drivers/bikers/walkers from hitting it?

I was thinking something like the LED strips mounted on the inside and only visible when it is extended.
__________________
2020 Winnebago Vista 29V
sundog964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 01:05 PM   #2
Proud “No Intent” Owner
 
Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Belmont, CA
Posts: 1,136
Blog Entries: 1
Not a bad idea, but would they be one more thing to eat into your batteries?

What about some static reflectors?
__________________
26 m 2018 Intent Owner—Belmont, Ca, with too many upgrades to mention. Seriously...
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...albums248.html
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 02:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,839
It varies somewhat by state or country but I think the normal allowed width is 8'6" in most US states so if the rig is more than that, I would not assume lights, etc. to be of any help in case there is an accident.
If parked on a public street, I normally want it to meet the laws in that area. With a listed body width of 96", I would not expect to park it on the street with the slide out and not be at extreme danger if there were an accident.
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
Proud “No Intent” Owner
 
Wyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Belmont, CA
Posts: 1,136
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
It varies somewhat by state or country but I think the normal allowed width is 8'6" in most US states so if the rig is more than that, I would not assume lights, etc. to be of any help in case there is an accident.
If parked on a public street, I normally want it to meet the laws in that area. With a listed body width of 96", I would not expect to park it on the street with the slide out and not be at extreme danger if there were an accident.
Ok, I was thinking this was a temporary sort of deal, not sleeping/living in it with the slides out into the street. I agree, that would be really dangerous.

When I pull ours out of the driveway, and park in front of house, I have to open one slide into the street (part way) while loading it. That”s when these lights might come in handy.

As it stands, I put out cones in the street, and I pull the slide back in as soon as possible.
__________________
26 m 2018 Intent Owner—Belmont, Ca, with too many upgrades to mention. Seriously...
https://www.winnieowners.com/forums/...albums248.html
Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,839
That's where the details really come into play. I've worked lots of things where we needed to block part of the street and how each state looks at it varies more than I liked. In Missouri, if we were blocking even a portion of the street like working at the side but needing four feet to work around the truck, we were required to totally block that full lane with cones and signs as it was assumed drivers might see what they thought was an open lane and keep going to find out there really wasn't enough room to pass.
The only times when I worked in Texas, we were doing storms repairs and most of the traffic rules were pretty well out the window and we did lots of odd things.
But now that I'm living here, the rules seem much less an issue and it seems if they feel it something they want to do, they do it!
But much of it gets back to what we feel is "okay" ---as long as nothing happens!
We see accidents where cars are broken down in the traffic lanes and get hit and the driver's are not found at fault. Where I learned to drive, we were required to keep control and stop if there was something in the way. Running over people was not considered an option!
When in doubt we don't put it out!
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher
 
TKep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Greenwood, SC
Posts: 2
I might consider parking the wrong away on the street - then watching as your enter and exit in traffic - making certain that your steps do not stay extended after the door closes. You could even avoid that by handing items in through the drivers door which would now be curb-side as well.
__________________
Tim & Dottie Keppler and Dogs: Emi & Frye
2012 Aspect 28T
2018 Ford Fiesta SE
TKep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 06:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Pflugerville/Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKep View Post
I might consider parking the wrong away on the street - then watching as your enter and exit in traffic - making certain that your steps do not stay extended after the door closes. You could even avoid that by handing items in through the drivers door which would now be curb-side as well.
That seems like possible solution but then I get back to what is okay in one state may not be in another. Where I grew up, parking on the wrong side of the street was a sure ticket because there is no way to stay in your correct lane and park on the wrong side! The only way to get to that spot on the wrong side requires driving in the wrong direction for that lane!
__________________
Richard
2015 Winnebago Vista 31KE on 2014 chassis
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 265
I'm a retired L.E.O. and if I came across someone exceeding legal width with their slide out extending into a traffic lane they would get every ticket my warped mind could think of.
2nd, someone will be bound to hit it......end of problem
Problem being though if you got hurt inside the vehicle...was it really worth it? Then if the person who would hit it have someone in their vehicle get hurt...... a civil court will decide how much it was worth.

This qualifies for a class of tickets, arrests made under the classification of
"Stupid Human Tricks"
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
I'm a retired L.E.O. and if I came across someone exceeding legal width with their slide out extending into a traffic lane they would get every ticket my warped mind could think of.
2nd, someone will be bound to hit it......end of problem
Problem being though if you got hurt inside the vehicle...was it really worth it? Then if the person who would hit it have someone in their vehicle get hurt...... a civil court will decide how much it was worth.

This qualifies for a class of tickets, arrests made under the classification of
"Stupid Human Tricks"
Thanks all for your responses. I wouldn't put it out myself in a potential traffic situation, as for all the above potential issues. The lovely wife however isn't convinced by my arguments however. What do I know, I've only got a few instruments in earth orbit! But she will listen to the advice here.

It isn't a problem for me, the Vista is just fine without the slide out, I have to crawl over the bed to get to my side, but no big deal.
__________________
2020 Winnebago Vista 29V
sundog964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Thanks all for your responses. I wouldn't put it out myself in a potential traffic situation, as for all the above potential issues. The lovely wife however isn't convinced by my arguments however. What do I know, I've only got a few instruments in earth orbit! But she will listen to the advice here.

It isn't a problem for me, the Vista is just fine without the slide out, I have to crawl over the bed to get to my side, but no big deal.
Have her call the local DMV and ask about exceeding legal width.
If not a local DMV have her call the local Sheriff's Office on the non-emergency line and probably the dispatcher will answer that problem........Dispatchers are a wealth of information!
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 04:42 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: California
Posts: 264
I would never do something that might cause injury to another person, as in a bicyclist or motorist driving into the slide-out. It is public property and your negligence would set you up for a nice lawsuit. If the insurance company decides not to take over the matter there could be $10,000 or more in attorney fees or you could lose your house and savings.

If I had to extend the slide-out on the street I would park so the slide-out did not extend into the street. I would rather pay a parking ticket should I get one, then have the slide-out damaged and the RV out of commission until it could be repaired.

This is an unnecessary risk to take and it will place the RV and the people using the road in harm's way. Get a ball park estimate to repair a badly damaged slide-out from the nearest RV repair facility and pass that along to the wife.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:15 PM   #12
Winnebago Master
 
powercat_ras's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Manhattan, Kansas USA
Posts: 936
For your temporary situation for parking while loading, I suggest you use some reflective triangles on the ground and some traffic cones. Also you can buy some DOT-C2 Reflective Tape at an auto supply store and put some of the Red on the lower rear corner area of the sidewall of the slide and put some of the White on the front rear corner area of the sidewall of the slide to make it more visible.

If you make that effort it will reduce chances of someone hitting you. I think if law enforcement passes by while you are more than 9' wide due to the slide being open you'll just get a warning if any action is taken at all.
__________________
Randy - Manhattan, Kansas
2015 Vista 27N
2020 Ford Escape Hybrid
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
For your temporary situation for parking while loading, I suggest you use some reflective triangles on the ground and some traffic cones. Also you can buy some DOT-C2 Reflective Tape at an auto supply store and put some of the Red on the lower rear corner area of the sidewall of the slide and put some of the White on the front rear corner area of the sidewall of the slide to make it more visible.

If you make that effort it will reduce chances of someone hitting you. I think if law enforcement passes by while you are more than 9' wide due to the slide being open you'll just get a warning if any action is taken at all.
I can just about guarantee the complete opposite. Actions that put others at risk need to be addressed to the limit. It's UNFORTUNATE that some people don't "learn" until you get in their wallet. This would be multiple tickets written by me.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:22 AM   #14
Winnebago Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundog964 View Post
Thanks all for your responses. I wouldn't put it out myself in a potential traffic situation, as for all the above potential issues. The lovely wife however isn't convinced by my arguments however. What do I know, I've only got a few instruments in earth orbit! But she will listen to the advice here.

It isn't a problem for me, the Vista is just fine without the slide out, I have to crawl over the bed to get to my side, but no big deal.

Where I live you would get a immediate $350 per day fine just for parking it on the street overnight and additional fines if you were camping in it on the street. Having the slide out would just add an additional infraction and fine that could easily bring your daily exposure close to $1,000 a day for camping on a public street.

Generally you only park on the street temporarily for loading and unloading without extending the slides. On the street extending the slide blocks right of way regardless of which side you extend the slide on. Extend the slide toward the roadway and you are blocking traffic along with emergency vehicle right of way while towards the curb you are blocking either pedestrian right of way or county/city easement right of way, all of which are generally offenses with fines attached unless you apply/pay for a permit and are granted it. Its usually cheaper to stay in a campground than pay for a permit or temporary variance.
__________________
Neil V
2001 Winnebago Adventurer WFG35U
NeilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
light, slide, slide out


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension & safety Question Velroc General Maintenance and Repair 11 12-05-2013 12:44 PM
Safety steering devices moejean General Maintenance and Repair 17 03-20-2012 11:56 AM
19.5 inch tire safety problem? iRV-in-a-SunStar Running Gear, Axles, Brakes, Wheels and Tires 19 02-10-2012 09:39 AM
Inverter question. Upgrade? Safety Concerns? flashajt Electrical | Charging, Solar and Electronics 17 12-14-2008 10:23 AM
Rookie move on slideout(stay in) safety strap. AKBrick General Maintenance and Repair 15 07-20-2005 10:08 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×