Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 02:23 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Safe RV Storage in Sacramento/Elk Grove Area?

I was at my MH today and found out that my second catalytic converter has been stolen. They took the first of two (twin exhausts) sometime prior to 9/22. I was just at the storage yard today and the second one was gone. Fortunately I hadn't yet replaced the first one or this would have been #2 and #3. The storage yard has been hit at least three of four times since early 2022 and I'm getting fed up with their lack of security.

Does anyone know of an RV storage yard in the greater Sacramento area that's not too far from Elk Grove that seems to have decent security? Some of the closest ones to me, near I-5 in Elk Grove won't take a 35 footer.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Hi Bob,
Sorry to hear of this additional Catalytic Converter theft. I would not place 100% of the blame on the storage yard, as there are other new security concerns with which we have never had to deal with in the past. How much are they charging you now for monthly storage? Perhaps the storage area could add a security guard and charge folks a surcharge to pay for the service?
Once you do get the new Catalytic Converters installed, I would recommend that you add a pair of Catstraps.
Eagle5
Old 12-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #3
Site Team

Indoor parking is your only really "safe" way to prevent Cat theft, unfortunately. But then you have to worry about rodents and discharged batteries and, of course, the high cost.

Every storage yard is being hit. RVs are the perfect target because or their extra ground clearance.

I've had two stolen in the past 15 months. The police told me, don't move to a new yard, they'll just hit that yard sometime soon.

My insurance company... Progressive, paid all but my deductible though the price went up $700 this time over the last time and they balked at the increase. My mechanic told them the part went up that much. When the insurance asked for proof of what the part cost my shop refused and it took a little back and forth to get paid for the full amount.

I installed a CatStrap after this 2nd theft. We'll have to see if it makes any difference.
Old 12-04-2022, 03:43 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle5 View Post
Hi Bob,
Sorry to hear of this additional Catalytic Converter theft. I would not place 100% of the blame on the storage yard, as there are other new security concerns with which we have never had to deal with in the past. How much are they charging you now for monthly storage? Perhaps the storage area could add a security guard and charge folks a surcharge to pay for the service?
Once you do get the new Catalytic Converters installed, I would recommend that you add a pair of Catstraps.
Eagle5
I know the problem that's unique to the storage yard but their security, beyond a fence and locked gate is non-existent. I've never been there at night but, if they have lights, I've never noticed them in the daytime. Their advertised rate is $135 for a 40' open space. I believe I'm currently paying $125. I talked to him today and he tells me that he's no longer to accept motorhomes but will allow the existing ones. I guess they're not bothering the commercial trucks stored there.

I've considered a cat strap. I believe it's the only device that will work on mine since I have several feet of exposed and accessible exhaust pipe in front of and behind my converters. The cages that enclose the converter would be useless.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Cat theft is a major problem everywhere and until our goverment is prepared to write stiff laws preventing purchasing a cat and equally willing to find and prosecute the theft and the purchaser it will continue to happen. Captain Obvious steeping off the milk crate.

I was thinking a 4 x 4 of 3/4" plywood with 3 1/2" framing nails driven thru facing up and anchored to the ground beneath the cats might be a good idea. In all likelihood they would quickly move on to the next poor sole thinking this is to much trouble. A Bostich framing gun would do the job nicely I own one but you can rent these too.
Sparky19053 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage