Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

What are your opinions about a RV designed cover (such as ADCO)or no cover at all. Any tips regarding plumbing, tanks, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

What are your opinions about a RV designed cover (such as ADCO)or no cover at all. Any tips regarding plumbing, tanks, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

IMHO a cover is a good thing to keep the UV off your rig as well as general dirt etc; I would reccomend that you give it a good washing before covering, put bounce fabric softener sheets throughout your compartments and inside. Close it up as tight as a drum and put lot's of moisture absorbent inside (kitty litter, charcoal, water absortion bags(wal-mart sells them I can't think of their name. Park it so your tires are on a vapor barrier and if you can put your jacks down do so.
Old 09-26-2008, 05:33 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Are you referring to one of those soft covers advertised by Camping World all the time?

If so, I vote "no", especially in Florida heat and humidity.

First of all, how much time and effort does it take to get a big coach covered? Too much, I bet.

Will the coach bake while all zipped up in the cover? Will the internal heat and humidity allow wee beesties to grow on surfaces in the coach?

I don't know, but when I left my Gainesville, FL home for a 6 week RV trip in '05 I made the mistake of turning off the air conditioning. When we retuned, the house smelled musty. I found mold growing on leather belts and shoes and more.

Before we fulltimed the rig was always parked on a pad (river rock) next to the house with the thermostat set to 78 degrees. I never had a problem with the exterior due to weather or the interior due to high humidity. We now fulltime in the same coach.

If I wanted a shelter and owned a home or real property, I would build an RV port with hookups.

Fulltimers! - Currently in Gainesville, FL - working as Webmaster & Special Projects Manager
Digital Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Paul,

Are you asking about winterizing your coach for storage or just short term between journeys? Where do you have the coach? A little more info would be helpful. I keep mine setup similar to what Lew has described.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:44 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

And what about the concern of the fabric rubbing the paint or decals. The wind is going to blow and the fabric is going to move some, especially around the corners.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I store my Adventurer 35A in shady lot at "The Recreation Plantation" in Central Florida. None of the well over 100 rigs stored here have covers. Our main concern is fire ants.

arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We will be storing it at a storage facility at an RV Park in Nokomis, FL (near Sarasota). It will be stored there until next July.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

What do you do yo fight the fire ants?