Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2022, 04:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

RV Extended Warranty

Hi All,

Recommendations of RV warranty coverage for both coach and chassis/engine. Its a 2018 with 57,000 miles and I do like peace of mind. So many companies out there: Good Sam, Wholesale Warranties, Eagle, American Corp. its hard to know.
HELP!
Gypz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:03 PM   #2
Site Team

It's all a crap shoot. A Class C is not a big risk to travel without an extended service contract. It's not a warranty. It's break down insurance. If you were buying a $500K DP... maybe. But a 2018 Class C - you'll have a hard time getting enough claims to break even on the cost.

But to each his own. Do what seems right to you.
Old 06-21-2022, 09:27 PM   #3
Site Team

I’ve had one for both RVs I’ve owned. The first one was through Wholesale Warranties. In the 5 years I owned the RV I never had a claim. When I sold the RV I got a check back from them for the prorated amount of my warranty.

For my current RV, I got an American Guardian policy through the dealer. the claims have paid for the policy. It’s also still there in case other issues arise.

I guess the main thing for me is peace of mind, like you said, that I won’t have any large repair bills. It is the same as home insurance. I hope I never have to use it, but I’m glad I have it when I do. Just make sure you are comfortable with the cost even if you never use it.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 03:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I have had Good Sam Extended Warranty in the past. When I had my 5th wheel and tow truck I used the warranty to replace all the steering parts on the truck. That saved me alot of money. I have nothing bad to say about the GSEW.

I was going to get it for my current coach but due to the age of the coach the price was way to high.

You will here alot of folks say take the money and put it into an account for repairs. That may be true if you are that disciplined to do it. I am not for me the piece of mind was worth the price.

Good Luck
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:03 AM   #5
Site Team

When we bought our 37’ Class A the dealer pushed a 5-year Extended Warranty for $6,000. We declined. We contacted Wholesale Warranties and their 4-year was $4,400. We decided to take our chances and skipped that as well.

Our RV will be 5-years old next month. By my estimate total coverable expenses over these 5-yrs has been $1,700. And that ignores whatever deductible there would have been.

We’ve had a couple of smaller repairs that wouldn’t have ever surpassed a $500 deductible, but only one or two.

We’ve been glad that we skipped the extended service thing entirely. It saved us a lot of money. Plus, it saved us having to wait to get approval for that one A/C replacement while on the road in 100 degree temps.

I understand the peace of mind insurance can bring, but if every RV service contract paid for itself in claims every insurance company would be out of business. This has to mean that most policies don’t pay for themselves.
Old 06-22-2022, 08:00 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

And a large part of that has to do with your personal finances.
We have rarely gone for extended warrenty as we normally have smaller older units and the cost of the insurance was often more than just junking the RV!

But we have reached a different level and have considered what it would do if we had a huge sudden bill. It would make me flinch and likely complain but not really bother us on the money question as we now look at it as money we have NOT spent earlier!

One time is the only time we bought extended and it was on a car which had been in a wreck before we bought it. That time saved us tons of money, though!
We had the car into three different Ford dealers many, many times to solvean intermitant cranking problem and they never charged more than the $100 deductable, but that also never solved the problem, so we sold the car!
But not until they got really tired of seeing us. The final straw was when they insisted it had to have a new battery and that was one part that was not covered!

We find insurance has lots of ways to wiggle out of claims !
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pianotuna
Save your money and create a repair and maintenance fund.
Old 06-26-2022, 04:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Agree that a dedicated repair savings fund is best

We also needed peace of mind for our 2008 Journey 39Z. For minor issues, a couple of thousand in cost, no big problem. However, when it comes to the very costly repairs you took the policy out initially to cover, forget it! We had a turbocharger failure. Freightliner and our ext. warranty company got into a tug of war over opening up turbo charger and determining cause of failure. Freightliner said it just wasn't done to be able to return the core, so warranty company refused to pay. We were given the run around and were refused to speak to anyone in authority at warranty company. Our RV repair shop who recommended the company (for a commission) tried to intervene but useless. It was such an expensive and frustrating experience (it was in the shop 4+ months!) we nearly left the rig at freightliner. We now have a private repair person. Make sure to read each and every sentence of coverages and the requirements for repairs reporting. Never again for us!
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 05:44 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

We bought an extended service contract on our MH because it had been parked in a barn for 8 years due to the first owner having severe health problems.
During the 3 yr contract it paid for itself, including deductibles, through claims on the chassis portion. We did not file any claims on the chassis portion.

What the vast majority of ESC purchasers do not realize is, they are signing a legal contract with terms and conditions in fine print, just like purchasing health insurance; If said term and conditions are not fulfilled, claims are denied.
I wonder if anyone who naysay's an extended service contract because it may not be a 100% return of purchase price thinks of health insurance the say way ?

If piece of mind is your goal, it's your property and your money to do with as you choose.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

We recently had Good Sam and found it was a total waste of money. I have an issue with my rear slide not coming out. I've have been trying to find someone to fix it. Problem is a control module that isn't made any longer. When reaching out to Good Sam they were totally useless in trying to help us. When we initially made it sound that they would be "Johnny on the Spot" to help us. When we reached out to them with our issue, they gave us so many excuses on how they were not able to assist with our problem. When our renewal came up I told them we were not going to renew. But a month later they charged me for another year. When I contacted them they than tried to sell me a less expensive one which we declined. They said they would refund my money but would charge me $50 for a refund fee. After numerous discussions with the manager of the manager of the manager, they agreed they would not charge me $50 and refund all our money. End result, they charged me $1700 for a one year extended warrantee plan but wouldn't assist in helping us with the issue we had. I was uneasy going into the extended warranty, but the sales person sold me on how supportive they would be when an issue would/could occur, but it was just the opposite as I suspected. Guess some get lucky and others don't. I was on the unlucky side I guess...but no more extended warranty plans for me. Waste of money. Good lucky with your decision.
Old 06-27-2022, 08:14 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Extended Warranties/Service Agreements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypz View Post
Hi All,

Recommendations of RV warranty coverage for both coach and chassis/engine. Its a 2018 with 57,000 miles and I do like peace of mind. So many companies out there: Good Sam, Wholesale Warranties, Eagle, American Corp. its hard to know.
HELP!

When I bought my 2011 Itasca Sunova 33C Class A motorhome in May of 2012, it was on consignment at Camping World having been slightly used. To make the sale they included a six-year "Extended Service Agreement." Like most RVs, even ones that are nearly new, ours had some issues. The fresh water tank would siphon itself nearly empty while the coach was in motion. Two of the hydraulic levelers failed and had to be replaced. A wiring connection inside one of the walls failed, which made several electrical outlet non-functional. The chassis air conditioner compressor failed. The dome satellite antenna became functionally obsolete. The under-dashboard air handling unit became unbearably noisy, one of the two rooftop air conditioners and the wall thermostat failed and had to be replaced.

Trying to get full, fair settlements for many of those claims, I had to get the President of Camping World involved before the full amounts were paid. But, after fighting for our benefits, they were all handled equitably. I believe that you'll find that many of the companies that sell "Extended Warranties" or "Extended Service Agreements" will try to find excuses for not providing full coverage and you'll need to fight for your benefits. Nonetheless, I was grateful to have that coverage.
lewisedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:40 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Realistic Expectations

Perhaps I should clarify my original post. We never expected an extended warranty to pay for itself. Being the 2nd owner of a 2008 rig, which the dealer bought at auction, is why we took out the warranty, even though it only had 30,000 miles on it. The first one we never filed a claim. After renewal is when we had the feared really big expense. The turbocharger failure was a covered catastrophic repair item. The issue became a war of opinions on opening it up and determining the cause (what they meant was "blame".) We called around the country, could not find anyone to open it, and warranty company could not provide a source for us. It was an over $10,000 repair. Again, we knew it was subject to deductibles, etc., but we got the warranty door literally slammed in our face. I am just recommending that one determines the high expense repair items of their RV and carefully read the conditions of their coverage on the warranty. Our peace of mind will be in the bank.
Liv4weekends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 09:28 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Warranties are a waste of money. PERIOD
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote