Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

RV Down Payment question

Hi -

I'm in SoCal and my wife and I are flying out to IA to pick up our new Class A and driving home. I haven't bought out of state before but are there any concerns with wiring the down payment prior to getting there? Or should I absolutely bring a cashier's check? I'm buying from a reputable dealer and they're handling the financing but just want to make sure I'm covered in case anything goes wrong. Does a wired down payment go into some sort of escrow account prior to me signing the docs?

Thanks in advance,
cloo
cloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 01:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I'd hold the cashier's check till after I did the full inspection of the unit and signing on the dotted line for delivery.

Enjoy - I have that model in the first year it came out and enjoy it. YOu'll get a true shake down on your return trip!
Old 12-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLUSoCal View Post
I'd hold the cashier's check till after I did the full inspection of the unit and signing on the dotted line for delivery.

Enjoy - I have that model in the first year it came out and enjoy it. YOu'll get a true shake down on your return trip!
Thanks! That's what my gut was telling me. Appreciate the confirmation.
cloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I bought in Indiana. Credit Card down Payment and presented cashiers check for the balance after PDI. Went smoothly.
Old 12-06-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

We live in Northern CA and bought in OH. We paid a deposit with credit card, and paid the rest with a check when we arrived to pick up. Worked just fine.

San Francisco Bay Area
sundog964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:31 PM   #6
Proud “No Intent” Owner

I agree with everyone this far. We sell homes, and everything goes through escrow and wire transfers.

But that’s because they’re just completing a transaction that they have fully done their due-diligence.

RV’s are different. Once they have payment, your ability to get the dealer to help you is pretty much gone.

Cashier’s check. (I just gave them a regular check), which they accepted.