Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer and while parked in my driveway the front corner in parked under a pine tree. I try to keep the roof clean as much as possible so I don't get black streaks. I am thinking about a full RV cover but was told that they trap moisture and cause future problems. I am also thinking about a tarp that would just cover the roof but am concerned that the tarp would move around in the wind and ruin the finish on the fiberglass roof.
What are other people doing in this situation...RV cover or tarp???
Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 03:25 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have a '03 Sightseer and while parked in my driveway the front corner in parked under a pine tree. I try to keep the roof clean as much as possible so I don't get black streaks. I am thinking about a full RV cover but was told that they trap moisture and cause future problems. I am also thinking about a tarp that would just cover the roof but am concerned that the tarp would move around in the wind and ruin the finish on the fiberglass roof.
What are other people doing in this situation...RV cover or tarp???
Thanks
Old 08-07-2006, 04:16 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

The cover moves too and will wear the paint. Maybe you could trim the tree or take it out.

The black streaks don't necessarily come from the tree, just crud in the air.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 05:22 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The tree was there longer than the RV and I wouldn't want it removed. It only covers the front passanger corner of the RV and that just so happens to be the dirtiest part of the roof.

p.s. Pine sap doesn't come from the air
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We can probably assume that there is no other place to park the motorhome except under the tree. Short of building some kind of roof structure over the front, the best you can do is keep a good coat of wax over the area. Won't stop the pine tar, but may make it easier to clean. I've seen the wear from some of the covers, hence, mine remains uncovered in storage. Clearly the best storage is a garage. I don't have the space or money for an RV garage, so frequent washing is my method.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

You didn't happen to mention sap in your first post, only black streaks. The pine tree should have been a clue to me. Black streaks usually come from the dirt on the roof deposited by air or rain, in your case dripping off the pine tree.

A cover might be your only choice or keep it waxed and washed. I've heard that mayonaise will break down sap but haven't used it myself.

There are commercial sap/tar/bug removers.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

chippysgt
I should have mentioned the sap in my first post. I do have a commercial sap remover that does take the sap off(with lots of elbo greese). When I climb up the RV ladder and look across the rooftop I can clearly see that the area under the tree is much dirtier. I would like to at least cover the roof but I don't want to ruin the finish with the cover rubbing. Has anybody had any experience with a quality canvas tarp??
Old 08-07-2006, 06:02 PM   #8

We live in a high altitude location (8,600 feet elevation in Colorado), and unless you cover your unit, the sun will TOAST your unit in a couple of years....And we have the pine tree sap stuff also....

I've used a cover on the last 3 motorhomes I have owned and they looked new as the day I bought them when I sold them....had no scratches or rubbing on the paint or decals...also, its nice to uncover and drive it away clean...

I only use ADCO with Tyvek covers...dont use the "Classic" brand covers as they dont hold up well....

Edit after reading your last post: Don't even THINK about using canvas material on your coach....Im sure you WILL have cover rubbing problems.

You might do a search on THIS FORUM on RV covers as they aren't just Winnie owners. This subject has been talked about for eons.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have used covers on 3 different motor homes over a 10 year period. Had no problems with any of the Tyvek covers causing any paint damage. The coaches all looked like new when sold. I did have a problem getting my cover off the coach after a snow fall and a thaw. They tend to freeze to the surface. So if you plan to use the coach in cold weather get the cover off before it freezes to the coach. It will keep the tar, and all kinds of corruption off your finish, makes wax jobs last a lot longer.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Homer and others who use covers:

How difficult to put on and take off? Mine is stored outside and enjoys the shade from some trees (no pine trees) but also the crud from those same trees. I would have to be able to cover and uncover with no assistance.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

I have no problem putting the cover on. I roll it up in front of the coach on the ground. I tie a rope (clothesline) around a handful of the cover at the rear of the cover. Pull that up on top and walk it back to the rear of the coach. Then let it drop down over the sides,front and finally the rear, as I climb down. Run the straps under the coach, fasten and your done. I do put two bungie cords from side to side front and back to lessen billowing, but it is not entirely necessary. They are engineered to fit pretty well. If you have a CB antenna you might want to remove it and put a split tennis ball over the stub end. (Speaking of Winnebago factory installed CB antenna here). You could just loosen the mount and lay the antenna back.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote