Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Roadside Assistance Plan

We’re planning on more traveling this coming year in our Travato. We’d like to check out a Roadside Assistance Plan. Could certainly use some suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:00 AM   #2
Site Team

Generally, Winnebago RVs come with a free year of Coach-Net roadside assistance. Didn’t your Travato? My motorhome did and I’ve kept using Coach-Net in the two years since. However, I’ve never needed to use it.

Coach-Net, Good Sam and AAA are the main companies that I’m aware of. FMCA offers roadside assistance now too.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:13 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had roadside assist on our Safeco car insurance but it was very limited (like 10 miles towing) so we dropped it from that and added AAA as the much more complete and we are finding having it works on any vehicle, car or RV with better bennies.
Which plan and how is a constant shopping issue for my wire but what fits best is often a judgement thing depending on lots of personal items like where and when you might need it.
On the car, I would likely change the tire if forced! But looking at the wheels of the RV as too big for me and it has no spare, so roadside assist is much more needed. But I also have not had a flat in ages!
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I did get the complimentary Coach Net plan. I’ll read it a little more closely to see what it offers. It may be better getting a more RV focused one such as Good Sam or AAA. Thanks for the suggestions.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:37 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Check your insurance policy as well. Mine (State Farm) includes roadside assistance.
Scubadude62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

I have Good Sam Road Side Assistance and have for years. GSRA will tow your unit farther than most others. That was a big plus for me, although have not used the tow yet. I have used them over the years for flat tires, and one out of gas. Just remember all of them are not there for fixing your unit. They are there to "assist" in getting your unit to a place where it can be fixed. GS has alot of bad press about them but I really can not complain about the service I have received.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I bought roadside assistance for my RV through the insurer. I think it was $15 annually, and it covered "reasonable expense" for towing to a place for service.

On cars I have found the default service for my other insurance company and for AAA to be far less than I expected. After several bad experiences, my car insurer told me that I could just hire and outfit, and what their max payment would be. That made it easy.

I have to have that conversation with my RV insurer to see if something similar can be done with them.

The insurance based roadside assistance doesn't provide a mobile tech, it is mostly focused on changing tires, towing and jump starts, from my reading of it. Although they do also handle out of fuel and lockouts.

However for the lowest cost, consider your insurer. In NY, they cannot ding you for multiple calls in a year, which would be good if you have a rash of problems one year.
Mongobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Iv'e had 2 experiences with aaa one a flat sent wrong repair man twice finally changed my self,Two break down, tow we ended up having to arrange our own tow and pay truck driver there supposed to reimburse we will see 24hrs on side of road tow bill 117 mi $2600.00
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I had a big problem with CoachNet I paid for the service two months ago. I got my cards saying I was a member. Over Thanksgiving I took our Madden voyage to Az from Illinios. We almost got to Flagstaff and O had mechanical problems. My wife called two seperate times and couldnt get any help from them.They did say they could get help but I would have to pay for it. It was hot in the desert and trucks flying by at 80 mph and I was left stranded. I had sense sent them a email 3 weeks ago and they never returned that call
HollywoodGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #10
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We have used Good Sam Road Side Assistance for 6 or 7 years. Call 4 times with excellent service and response time. Most of the calls were tire related. One was lock out. Response time was good and even though we were 60 to 70 miles from service provider.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote