Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #1
1966 14’ travel trailer

Restore or remodel?

Hi y’all

First time trailer owner here, recently purchased a 1966 Winnebago 14’ travel trailer.

I plan to use this camper to learn how to remodel, get a year of use, and then sell it when I finish college and move away from home. Which makes me wonder, how do I want to design the camper to be sold for the best profit?

Should I attempt to restore the original layout to appeal to retro hunters? Personally, I can’t stand the original lay out. I don’t want a dinette (6’2) and one full/queen sized bed would be enough for me and a companion. I feel that most people in the 14’ trailer market wouldn’t need the dinette anyway! I want to put the kitchen area where the dinette currently is (front wall) and feel the current kitchen area is making the camper feel too small. Also, there’s an obnoxious closet that is making the entire door-side wall feel completely useless crowded.

I know the “Winnebago” brand will help me sell, but will it if it’s not a Winnebago-style interior?

What do y’all think? What do you guys look for when purchasing a Winnebago? I’m open to anything.

Have a nice day.
Cjdawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I would think the retro market value would be highest but you might want to find a retro-trailer forum and ask them. Until you know the relative values you won't be able to make an informed decision.

Even if retro is the way to go, you may be better served by repairing rather than a full restore, since I suspect most retro enthusiasts would be pretty particular as to what and how things were done.

If the difference in the two re-sale values is negligible or worth it to you for a year's worth of use, you can go the remodel route.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote