Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Remove Dog House from 2007 Sightseer 26P

Hi everyone,
I have a 2007 Winne Sightseer 26P that I need to replace the thermostat on. The problem is I can't seem to find a way to remove the engine cover (dog house) to access the engine. I have checked numerous posts and Youtube videos but can't seem to find one that actually shows how to remove the cover on my coach.
I would appreciate any help or advice on this subject.
Dave
dave_denn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 06:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

do you have the big info pack which should go with all Winnebago and have the owners manual?
The manual is online here:

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/File...7Sightseer.pdf

Down about 3-10 will give the details but the more important thing might be the big allen key that you should have gotten. Not especially hard to replace but guessing which size can be iffy if you don't have a full set on hand to try!

Small point to know is that this is not to unscrew anything but to move latch by turning something like 90 degrees. Think of a finger that rotates to hook a fixed paoint inside the cover?
Also if you have carpeting in that area, feeling with a metal tool may help find the hard spot! They hide in shag carpets.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 08:11 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Whether it's on the top or back edge, it's going to be centered left to right. If it's on the top, it's going to be towards the back edge.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 09:44 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

On my 2015 there is a hole in the center of the front edge of the doghouse, completely hidden by the carpet. Insert a 4" 5/16" hex driver and you should find the latch, turn it 90º to the left. There are also two phillips head screws on the front edge of the dog house, one on each side. Unless they've been removed by a previous owner, because It seems like there's no way to get them back in once they've been removed. Once the latch is released and the screws are out pry up on the back of the cover and then pull back. Good luck.
Old 12-11-2022, 10:19 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

NOT centered at all on mine. Take the center point, and move about 5 inches to the right. A lot of WBG were made off center - don't know why.

Can be tough to find in the shag.
Old 12-18-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Might not be an Allen screw

On my 2007 Voyage I dug around in the shag at the rear of the cover and found a hole just off center to the left. The screw took a large flat blade screwdriver, not an Allen tool like the manual described.

Funny story about why I was trying to locate the latch. We were driving on a two lane highway in a construction zone when we smelled a skunk. The odor got worse as we drove along, so I hit the power window button to lower the driver's window. The doghouse cover had apparently never been latched since we bought the coach, so when the window opened and the pressure inside changed, the cover began to lift and exposed the engine and the road below. I couldn't pull over or stop for several miles because of the construction zone. My wife screamed and threw herself on top of the cover to hold it down until we could stop and secure it.

I guess the levitating cover was an option on this model of Winnebago!
egourley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 12:25 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I feel your pain.

dave_denn8, I remember the frustration I had and removed my doghouse this morning to take a couple pictures. In my 2011 Sunstar 26P There is a hole at the front edge of the doghouse, completely hidden by the carpet. Mine accepts a 8mm hex. I found it using a magnet and patience. Turn it 90º to the left. There are also two phillips head screws on the front edge of the dog house, one on each side. Once the latch is released and the screws are out pry up on the back of the cover and then pull back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House 1.png
Views:	31
Size:	387.2 KB
ID:	184827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog House 2.png
Views:	26
Size:	391.5 KB
ID:	184828  

f53Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags