Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #1
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Winny Ultimate Advantage (350 hp Cummins engine) -- just bought it and have a question about the fuel filter on the ISC Cummins. Where it is located on the engine, it is almost impossible to get to the fuel filter to see if there is water accumulating and needs to be drained. Wondering if anyone has relocated this fuel filter toward the back of the coach where it is easier to get to and service. Are there any kits out there to let you do this. Would like to be able to check this more often as water is the "kiss of death" for a diesel. When I just had it serviced by the Cummins dealer, they had to find the smallest tech in the shop to climb in over the engine to get to the filter -- could not access from the bottom of the engine. Appreciate any thoughts about this situation.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:08 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I have a 2002 Winny Ultimate Advantage (350 hp Cummins engine) -- just bought it and have a question about the fuel filter on the ISC Cummins. Where it is located on the engine, it is almost impossible to get to the fuel filter to see if there is water accumulating and needs to be drained. Wondering if anyone has relocated this fuel filter toward the back of the coach where it is easier to get to and service. Are there any kits out there to let you do this. Would like to be able to check this more often as water is the "kiss of death" for a diesel. When I just had it serviced by the Cummins dealer, they had to find the smallest tech in the shop to climb in over the engine to get to the filter -- could not access from the bottom of the engine. Appreciate any thoughts about this situation.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:43 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

David,
I have seen a post, (over a year ago) that spelled out the requirements to do just that. I'll see what I can do to find it. The filter is located low on the passenger side of the engine and is a real PITA t get to.

On further research, I found a post by Paul (AFCHAP) stating that he had had this mod done. A PM to him might get the info you need.

JB Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:27 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Yes, I had my fuel filter (the one and only fuel filter on mine) relocated last June at Cummins Rocky Mountain in Albuquerque. Cummins does have a "fuel filter relocation kit." Parts cost was $174.79 and labor was $469.20. As I recall, that includes my 10% Cummins Power Master Road Club discount. It was a real bear of a job for them ...took most of the day. I had to empty the closet (our closet is across the back) so they could remove the engine access panel under the closet floor. Then they had to get their skinniest, tallest tech to hang upside down through the access hole to complete the job.

They mounted the filter on a steel piece at the back that goes from the cross member up just to the passenger side of center. They used an existing hole and drilled another hole. HOWEVER, make sure you specify exactly where you want it mounted. Mine is mounted too close to stuff at the bottom to easily access the water drain on the bottom of the filter. I removed the mounting bolts yesterday before leaving town to take some stuff to my daughter. When we get back I am going to drill two new holes higher up on the steel plate so I can mount it higher.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Appreciate the reply. I am going to have some service done at my Cummin's Power location this month. I will call ahead and have them get the parts necessary for the conversion. I know it is expensive but, right now, I can not get to the filter (I am far from tall and skinny -- more like medium and overweight -- LOL). I also have the Cummins Power Master Road Club so the cost will probably be close to yours. Again, thanks for the info.
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Yep, it is pricey. But after helping a mobile service guy change mine I decided it needed to be moved. It took both of us ...him from below and me from above to get it changed. From talking to Spartan about the location, they said that is how the chassis was configured on shipment to Winnebago. In some cases, Winnebago added a second filter that is more easily accessible on the pax side frame rail. I know one guy who didn't discover the one where ours is above the starter until he had owned his coach nearly three years! ...he had had it serviced at least twice and the service places had not found it either so it had never been changed!
Old 12-09-2006, 08:45 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I have an 03 Advantage with Spartan chassis, 350 cummins, and side radiator. My fuel-water separtor is located at the very rear on a cross member. I've been told there is a secondary filter but I have no idea where it is located.

On the inside of the right frame member between the HWH jack mount point and the rear axle there is a device that appears to be a filter. I've thought this device was the air-dryer and not a fuel filter. It is about 5 inches in diamter, about 5 inches tall, and screws in from the top. i.e. if you removed it the fuel would dump out. The connections (hoses) appear to be air lines, but I'm not sure. Any ideas?
Roadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Roadking

If you have the second fuel filter, which you probably do since you have one at the rear, it will be on the passenger side of the engine block above the starter about midway along the engine. Difficult to see, even more difficult to service. That is the original location from Spartan. Can't tell you what the other gizmo is... Do you know when during the year your Advantage was built?
Old 12-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

AF You are absolutely correct about the servicing of the existing fuel filter position. I presently have my coach with the Cummins South shop in South Atlanta and they are going to put a remote fuel filter on it -- probably back on the rear frame somewhere. Don't have the estimate yet but, if I can get to it, it will be worth it. Had to go to the shop as the hydraulic fan hub started to leak -- this is just like a boat -- everytime you turn around having to get something fixed but, it is worth it.
Old 12-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like they are making this harder than it needs to be.

If it were mine and I have done this for some of my customers, I would leave the existing fuel filter in place. Install a Racor (brand name) with a 30 or 40 micron spin on filter with the clear bowl. You can go with the option of adding a water sensor and having it paralleled with the existing water sensor. Plenty of placed to mount it that makes it easy to observe the bowl for water and chaneg the filter when needed. Use the best hose you can find.

Use of a 30 or 40 micron filter ahead of the existing will extend the life of the existing filter, probably doubling the service life of the exisitng one.

Key to this is getting the correct size filter for the fuel flow. Too small is bad and too big isn't good either.

Let us know how it turns out.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Sounds like they are making this harder than it needs to be. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gunny

"They" made it much harder than it needs to be in the build process. The whole point is to get the existing filter to a location where it can be serviced. The original setup on this chassis has the filter in a location where it is extremely difficult to get to, and even more difficult to remove/replace. I've known some who had a second filter located at the rear (this is an added filter by Winnebago) and after three years discovered the hidden filter had never been changed because the service facilities didn't find it.