Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

We were ready to make an offer on 32ft gasser and then oil hit $100.00 a barrel and decided to take another look at a FRED. Any input on actual MPG for FORD VS WORKHORSE would be appreciated. We are considering 30-34ft. I know diesel will get better mpg but don't know if it is really cost justified.
Thanks,
Robert & Evelyn
[email protected]
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

We were ready to make an offer on 32ft gasser and then oil hit $100.00 a barrel and decided to take another look at a FRED. Any input on actual MPG for FORD VS WORKHORSE would be appreciated. We are considering 30-34ft. I know diesel will get better mpg but don't know if it is really cost justified.
Thanks,
Robert & Evelyn
[email protected]
RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

We average 7.5 MPG while towing a car.

We usually drive the motorhome an average of 7,500 miles per year, that equals 1,000 gallons of gas.

If gas goes up a dollar, that is $1,000. dollars additional.

My decision to take a trip or buying a motorhome would not be based on the price of gas.

The additional cost would not stop me from enjoying life.

It is good to get a credit card with a good gas rebate. $425 is what I received from BP Visa (Chase) in the first 12 months. 5% gas, 2% restaurant and travel, 10% for the first 60 days on gas at BP, it also had a $75 bounus for using the card when I applied.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

When we purcahsed I found this article helpful.

Here

Our 36' Journey with a C7 330HP Cat towing an F-150 5.530# gets around 7 MPG. We have 24,00 miles so we're getting close to the point when the engine will loosen up a little and should get a little better milage.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Watch those Deisel owners. I have owned both and curently have a ford 460 gas. Takes where I want to go and brings me back when I'm ready.
Deisel engine wants to run 3 to 4 hundred thousand miles or more that is why 99% of Transport trucks use them. Never have met a motorhome that had more than 170,000 miles and it was very old.
My deisel cost me more than three times to maintain than my gas. EG. 35 quarts of oil and three filters each 4000 miles or 5 months.. Gas job 6 quarts and one filter.
My estamate $20.000.00 additional up front cost for diesel, Add on Jake Brake cost if you want one that will stop and extra service costs. I can run this gas untill the wheels fall-off at 2 miles per gallon and still be ahead of the game.
Of couse I wouldn't be COOL at the pump. UH UH UH
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RJEV:
Thanks,
Robert & Evelyn
[email protected] </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a 2005 Sightseer 34A on a Workhorse chassis: 8.1L gas engine with a 5-speed Allison transmission. A 2006 or newer model would have a 6-speed Allison. On average freeway driving, no tow vehicle, I turn 7.5 mpg tops, with a low of 6.5 mpg with some hills or headwind.

The current issue of Motorhome magazine has an interesting article on the Winnebago Destination. The test was mainly the diesel version on a Freightliner XC chassis with a Cummings 6.7L but also compared some performance stats with the 8.L Workhorse chassis. The Workhorse really gave up nothing in performance to the Freightliner, though the Freightliner got 10.92 mpg to the Workhorse's 7.57 mpg. The Freightliner also cost approximately $18k more and diesel fuel in my area is currently .25 to .30 cents a gallon more than unleaded. The Freightliner would retain a higher resale value, though I doubt it would maintain it by $18k over the long haul. Oil changes would cost more for the Freightliner too and with a higher sales price, annual insurance costs I assume would be higher.

My personal feeling is that you will pay a lot more in the long run for that higher miles per gallon and most RV's probably don't drive annually to justify the cost. (It's not a semi running 150k miles a year.) But diesel owners would likely say that the higher MPG's wasn't the main reason they bought the pusher in the first place.

In 1979 I was selling Volkswagens when the diesel Rabbit came out. The diesel was a $465 option and got 50 MPG (or more) on the highway. Everyone had to have one, with people waiting 4-6 months to take delivery. At that time, based on the average price of gas vs. diesel fuel and the difference in fuel economy, the diesel Rabbit had to be driven approximately 60k miles to break even... but people didn't bother to get a calculator out and do the math. They just had it in their mind that they had to have the diesel version with that 50 MPG! The funny part was back then, people liked to trade their cars back in around that same 60k miles...

Good luck on making your choice!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

SIDEWINDER: You said it all and said it nicely. For the average M/H owner the diesel just isn't a good fit. I would love to have a diesel, but I applied the very same thinking you expressed and came up with the same answers. Now if I was a full timer, with the intent of keeping a coach for a very long time, (Maybe). Most M/H owners hardly exceed 3000 miles per year. What one ends up with is a pile of money setting somewhere depreciating at a fierce rate. However, to each his own.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I am with Bob&Pat ...

RV's are for fun ... you can't justify, in dollars and cents, any RV ...

I have friends who have boats ... they frequently say something like "a boat is a hole in the ocean that you pour money into" ... I think you can say the same about an RV ...

If you want to travel cheaply then you need to purchase a suitcase that has wheels, a Volkswagon bug, stay at Motel 6 and wheel your suitcase in and out everynight ... the suitcase and Volkswagon will depreciate much less than an RV, your fuel costs will be less ... BUT you will be missing a great lifestyle

If you are really concerned about the cost of owning an RV you need to consider at least these factors: depreciation, insurance, fuel costs, maintenance, storage.

After you have considered those costs, think about what you will be missing ... I bought an RV and enjoy it immensely ... you only get this one chance in life ... don't miss your chance to see this wonderful country and meet the great people
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #9
Living The Dream

I say do what you really want to do . . . and if that won't work, do what you can afford instead!

It's better to have RV'ed and spent gobs on fuel than to never have RV'ed at all.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:21 AM   #10
GG1
Winnie-Wise

Between 7.5 and 9.5 depending on terrain. All cruise control on a flat land under 60 mph 9.5. Don't go for a deisel just for gas mileage. There are many other factors why deisel owners are deisel owners. I like the sound the engine makes, the ride, the smoothness. Overall they are more expensive to buy and maintain but they kind of grow on you. There was a big big difference between our 99 gasser and our current coach. Seriouisly consider a FRED, cost is good and mileage is better I have spoken to several FRED owners all are very pleased.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:45 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Our 2001 Itasca 35U Ford V10 got 7 to 7.5, no matter what: TOAD, no-Toad, mountains, flat, wind, no wind. The 08 35J is struggling to get 6.5....I'm hoping it is because the engine only has 2000 miles on it. But, even if not, it is not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things. If gas goes up .10/gal, that is only $7 if i had a bone dry tank....I'll just give up a 6 pack for that fillup
Old 01-04-2008, 04:24 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

I get about 7.3 -7.5 pulling my Jeep. I don't know where Sidewinder got his oil change info. My Cat book says changfe every 11,000 or annually.

I, too have had both. I'll keep my diesel, thank you very much. My gassers were working hard almost all the time. On the other hand, the diesel just chugs along. Plus, it's quiet up front.

'05 Meridian 36G
CHIPPYSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:03 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have put 28762 miles on our 1999 and have averaged 6.9 mpg towing a Maibu.

1999 Chieftain 35U
RonTon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

ronton, Those are real honest numbers. About the same with my Bounder and Toad.
Ron
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

06 Journey 36 350 Cat towing 4600# 7.5 mpg. As others said there is no way to make up the extra cost of owning a diesel vs gas. But the ride of a diesel is soooo nice. Don
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

We had one of those diesel rabbits! That was back when diesel was about .75/gallon and gas cost more than diesel( I think because of the taxes back then ). We drove the wheels off that thing, owned it for about 12 years and then sold it to a friend who had been asking for it for about 4 years. I remember a trip from Wisconsin to Washington state to see my sister. We averaged 61mpg and spent $90.50 for fuel for the whole round trip! Those were the days! Course we didn't have as much room or amenities as our motorhome! I agree with those who say they aren't going to let the cost of fuel stop them from enjoying their rv. I'm trying to save on fuel costs for my "daily" driver so I don't have to worry about the fuel when I vacation.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

We had a Fleetwood Boounder, then switched to our current Journey DL diesel. I agree that the cost is far greater for the diesel, but the ride and handling is like night and day. I'll keep the diesel, even at higher net cost.
limandlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

We have averaged 8.9 MPG in the last 8,500 miles according to the TripTek computer, towing a Pontiac Vibe or Chevy Malibu. Mileage seems to have gotten lower since we started using ULSD, but it could also be related to a heavier toad (Malibu vs. Vibe).

-----
boulderado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
MY adventurer with 8.1l Workhorse gets between 7.5 to 8.5 depending on terrain and wind. I normally drive around 200 rpm to get hat mileage.
I agree with the maintenance factor owning a diesel. Changing the oil and filter on a gas rig is a heck af a lot cheaper than on a diesel. As for ride ask DriVer on workhorse forum. His ride is just as good as diesel if not better. I improved my ride with Koni shocks and down the road will get track bar for rear.
Enjoy and get a gas unit you won't be sorry.
BTW I used to have a diesel Rabbit that got 50 mpg and Iput 150K before I gave it to my son and he sold it to someone else. I now have a Honda Civic that gets 35 mpg and it is gas.
Good Luck.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

We currently have a 38ft Adventurer (gas workhorse)and pull a Saturn Vue (3k lb). At 55mph I average 8mpg. Pulling over the California grapevine (steep grade) I can still maintain better than 7mpg at 50mph. At 70mph (a speed I only tried once, from Tucson to Flagstaff...up hill) average gas consumption dropped to 5+ mpg. We really like the Adventurer, and I have no intention of keeping it 200,000 miles, so the gas engine works fine for me. Hope this helps.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote