Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2019, 05:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

R.V. Park 15 year old rule.

How do the parks with this rule check the age of your unit? Mine is a 2005 in excellent shape but most around the Indy area won't go monthly with us after 2020. Do they check your registration or Vin?
tommyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran RV Owner

Maybe they access your membership through another club or group? FMCA, WIT, Thousand trails/Encore......

I have heard of resorts checking photos of your coach for acceptability. They probably don't want converted school buses that look like they came straight out of "The Beverly Hillbillies" or poorly maintained coaches.
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

For sure on the uncle Jed models. The places I've seen in the south just want to have a look at them to do a yea or nah.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 PM   #4
Site Team

They simply ask you and expect you to answer honestly in my experience. Most places I’ve encountered that have such rules make them 10-year rules, not 15 by the way.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:06 AM   #5
Veteran RV Owner

So, every 10 years we have to trade our coach or get barred from the really cool RV resorts? Sounds like a RV Manufacturer Conspiracy to improve sales!
armullis59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:22 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No kidding ? This is the first I've heard of a 10 year limit. I must be staying in some real dumps compared to the areas you frequent?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I look at this as a personal choice that I leave to the parks. They own the place and get to make the rules, just kind of like dress codes or pet rules for restaurants. If they are able to maintain plenty of business, why bother with those who tend to be more problems? I had a meal alongside a barking dog last night!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I've been in a couple parks that had a 10-year rule. Never seen a 15-year limit. I aked one why they had the rule, and they said that they were concerned about keeping the RV Park from looking like a Trailer Park, as well as fire hazards from faulty wiring in an old unit, etc. It was a tight-packed park. My RV was 10 years at the time. They just looked out the window at my rig and were satified.

They mostly go by the look of the RV on the outside and your word. One park wanted recent pics when I made the reservations, so I sent via email; I also listed the actual age of 13 years. They approved the RV because it's in good shape and clean.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:15 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

One of their concerns is abandonment, apparently people have checked into a park and abandoned their RV there because it was cheaper than disposing of it properly. Many times you can just send them a photo. Lots of people have vintage Airstreams etc and they are seldom refused. We were asked what year our TT was when we called the Elephant Butte RV park. Our TT was new but the tow vehicle was 16 years old (although looks newer). They never ask about the tow vehicle.
bigb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Ive never been asked about the tow vehicle either... mine is 20 years old. I hve stayed in a couple parks where junk RVs were abandoned, so that is also one of the reasons for the 10 year rule.
paulooch1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:44 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

I had a county fairgrounds that had the 10-year rule. I told the the year and they did not even look at it just said no. When I bought my 2005 that looks like a 2017 they accepted me. Well guess where they park the rv's in the horse area. I really don't think the horses care how old your rv is.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I've seen 10 year rules all over the country but especially at or near popular tourist destinations and at crowded urban areas, and at RV parks that like to put on airs and call themselves a 'Resort' in the middle of nowhere. Depends on the owner and other factors but some are really strict about it, others you just show up w/o a res and sign in...they'll likely never even ask or bother to look.

Lately, like the last 2 years, I've been seeing more and more parks change that 10 year rule to a 12 or 13 year rule. I suspect that's because RV's are being well cared for these days, the older units, like mine, don't look like they're as old as they are.

A 15 year rule isn't out of the question I don't think from what I'm seeing out here full timing at various parks. But, there are still many, many RV parks with no written age rule other then the RV must have an acceptable appearance.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Checking RV age

All they need to do is ask to see your vehicle registration.
jbrattain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:29 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

No kidding ? This is the first I've heard of a 10 year limit, I have RV'ed all over the US and Canada for over 10 years, and it is news to me..
scooterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by armullis59 View Post
So, every 10 years we have to trade our coach or get barred from the really cool RV resorts? Sounds like a RV Manufacturer Conspiracy to improve sales!
I think, this is truly disgusting...what does it matter how old or 'look dated' a model is...IF, it has been obviously maintained! Heck...ANY RV trailer pull, or motor-home built 15-20 or so years ago, is TEN TIMES better manufactured than the junk of today...better build metrics, stock, grades of stock...and that is why they are heavier by maybe a thousand pounds over the same trailer length seen today. What a load....if it looks well maintained...there should be no cut-off manufacturing dates! I certainly intend to own my 2018 Micro Minnie 1706 FB for the rest of my life. Its size and feature set perfectly matches my RV mandate...so I'm not going to be laying out more $$$$ just because it might be looking great, and well maintained, but by manufacture date, 10 years old. What a load of you know what!!!!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:28 AM   #16
Site Team

Sun_Seeker most likely this 10-yr rule wouldn't apply for you anyway. The vast majority of places with the 10 year rule don't allow TT at all.

Surly, some do. It's not all that don't allow TT. You see this almost exclusively at high priced $70 a night and above RV Parks and most of the time in an RV park that sells sites to individuals. Again, this is not universal, it's just the most common. A great many of them are for Class A only motorhomes.

But there is nothing disgusting about a private business owner setting whatever rules he wishes for his business - within reason. It's the same when a bar has a dress code such as no jeans or no shorts.

You don't have to like it, nor do you have to participate. So, that's good. But "truly disgusting?" I don't think so.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:01 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Sun_Seeker most likely this 10-yr rule wouldn't apply for you anyway. The vast majority of places with the 10 year rule don't allow TT at all.

Surly, some do. It's not all that don't allow TT. You see this almost exclusively at high priced $70 a night and above RV Parks and most of the time in an RV park that sells sites to individuals. Again, this is not universal, it's just the most common. A great many of them are for Class A only motorhomes.

But there is nothing disgusting about a private business owner setting whatever rules he wishes for his business - within reason. It's the same when a bar has a dress code such as no jeans or no shorts.

You don't have to like it, nor do you have to participate. So, that's good. But "truly disgusting?" I don't think so.
With all respect, if a private enterprise has the 'right' to make the rules in engagement of that stated enterprise, then a certain restaurant chain (not stated) that would not seat FBI agents...(most know what I am typing about...) could be exactly that...their rules...don't like it, too bad...go somewhere else.

The way I look at this, is that if a RV'er had a piece of equipment, that he or she loved...was in a cosmetic good state of repair...that to not allow them, only by the manufactured year stamp...to NOT be admissible to that park, resort, whatever...to be just another form of gross discrimination, based not on race, religion, but weirdly, upon their RV's manufacturing date. To me...(and other's opinions will certainly vary...) I see this as that owner, being discriminated against, SHOULD they wish to enjoy the park, resort, or location. One business got their hands slapped pretty badly with massive monetary penalties, for just that...making 'in house' rules, that targeted an identifiable group...or in this case...a date of manufacture 'cut- off'..."Oh...you have a 2004 date of manufacture...well, sorry...you can't book a site with us. It's our 'house policy"
.... NOT!

BTW, I guess that I might (as you pointed out) not be allowed into a site, because I have a T(ow) T(railer), and the camp resort is for seasonal usage only, or Class A , C motor homes. In that case, I can see they have that right...but what if I had a Class A or C made in 2004....and they deny me entry? Wow..still mind blowing that this might be happening out there...wow...

Cheers,
Old 10-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun_Seeker View Post
a certain restaurant chain (not stated) that would not seat FBI agents...(most know what I am typing about...)
I guess I'm not "most" so have ZERO idea what you're talking about the FBI, etc. I did a Google search on this and Google didn't seem to know about it either.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:28 PM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
I guess I'm not "most" so have ZERO idea what you're talking about the FBI, etc. I did a Google search on this and Google didn't seem to know about it either.
About two years ago...a quite well known restaurant chain, did not serve, and basically ignored some FBI agents, (identifiable group) that had taken their seats, until they 'got the message' and left without ever been acknowledged or a server approaching their table. They pressed charges and complaint against the restaurant chain, and won their case of targeted discrimination.

The restaurant chain, was judicially censured...with massive monetary fines and censure penalties, and with the due action of ordering the said chain to receive, er...'counseling', as to how to in the future, handle any and all, future patrons, wishing to be seated and served....

As far as I know, the chain has made corrections to how staff seat and serve any patrons that come through their doors...which is all good..