Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #61
Winnebago Owner

MaverickBBD: I and I'm sure many others would like to know who your dealer is?

The moderators want us to post the good and the bad. And you seem like a happy camper.

Kerry
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 04:10 PM   #62
Winnebago Camper

We will probably buy another Winnebago RV, but not from the dealer we purchased our current one from! Every time's it's been in for service (a total of 4 time since new) it's come back with something else broken or stolen. We've had enough!

We do like the Winnebago product enough to overlook the huge short falls of this miserable dealership, so Thumbs Up to Winnie, Thumbs Down to Bleakley...
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #63
Winnebago Camper

Not sure if this goes for all winnebago products but here goes.

I purchased an old Winnebago, 1985 Elandan with 44k miles on it. It was missing the generator and the entire control panel for the water heater, pump etc. is MIA The fuel system was leaking and it was overheating. Some other minor issues as well. Being a handy guy I started repairing the issues myself. Replaced thermostat and belts fixed the overheating issue. Emailed Winnebago and they sent me electrical diagrams, Search for 85 winnebago elandan on this forum for diagrams, and they helped me put together my own panel as purchasing one is non existing due to older panels not being found easy. I bought a onan generator, welded my own mounting bracket and installed it, very heavy. In short, with all the work I have put down on this baby, Winnebago is an extremely durable and well built machine. Very easy to work on as a DIY'er but most of all quality craftsmanship. I helped a friend with his 95 hrm, dont remmeber the make but looking at the chassis and worksmanship his 95 does not compare to my 85 Winnebago. I believe Winnebago put in alot of time on their machines for quality and durability and would positivly recommend a Winnebago or purchase one in the future again. Not sure about the newer once but for sure the older Winnebago's are true masters of creation. I would think it carried on over to their newer models as well.
core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #64
Winnebago Owner

Obviously the person who blames Winnie for Workhorse or other chassis makers problems has not thought it out or does not know that other manufacturers use/used the same products and would be subject to the saame guilt by association.

Inanswer to the original question, Yes, we would buy annother Winnie product. That after having 4 Winniebago manufactured coaches. They are not the largest manufacturer of MHs for a good reason!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #65
Winnebago Owner

In a heatbeat!
We love our Itasca 03' Suncruiser!
I just had the coach completely gone through by our RV shop near here in Marysville, WA. Everything looks great they said, chassis, coach, all systems such as heaters. The point is, we invest in our coach to stay ahead of issues. We had them replace the Toilet and a couple other minor fixes as well.

We just had a 40' x 24' canopy installed to protect our coach. We are all set and happy as clams. Would not hesitate to purchase another Winnie.

We did buy our coach from Roy Robinson RV up in Marysville, WA. There is a service manager there named Ken who takes great care of us. The fact that Roy's specializes in Winnie RV work gives me confidence that they can do the job right. They always give us good advise and so being full-timer's we can stay on top of things. That's the key.

As for all the posts...well most of us guys just really like our RVs and we want our gals to stay in them with us so we go the exta mile to keep mama bear safe. Simple as that. We dig our coaches and our lifestyle.

My wife and I are both full time working professionals with very good incomes so we could ditch this lifestyle easily if we chose to.

Nope, Winnie is not going out of business any time soon as far as I know.
Roy's knows Winnie's like the back of their hand.
We live on the cheap and love it.
We are mobile and get to cruise around our beautiful state 8 or 9 times year.
I have my office here in the coach so I can work from home when I need too.
What's there not to like?
And hey, our Rottie Ben digs it too.

Keith and Elaine Caravelli
Seattle Area
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:25 AM   #66
Winnebago Owner

Yes would buy again. Mostly minor issues. All makes have problems of one type or another, check out other makes sites and posts or read the technical letters in MH mag. Winnebago has good customer support, an information packed web site and an excellent product for the price. I enjoy working on mine (do my own maintenance on home, engine, transmission, LOF, installed trans temp gage, bleeding brakes and generator maintenance as long as task dosen't get to heavy like tires). I do consider it my "tinker toy". I like the 8.1 and transmission in my 35U.
A poor decision was made on the Workhorse brakes by all involved, Bosh, Workhorse and Winnabago. Admitting to the problem earlier could have saved frustration and a lot of anixety for owners. I bled my brakes and even then stopped and checked the temps every 100 miles. It was a big worry. New (rebuilt) calipers were finally installed on the recall so that should be behind me and other owners. It seemed they were reluctant to admit responsibility for the problem and their reputation did suffer.

All considered I would stay with Winnebago.
Fletcher0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #67
Winnebago Watcher

no, I would not buy another Winnebago

I would not buy another Winnebago. I already have one and find driving two at the same time is dangerous. Also, the insurance for two or three would be too expensive and would cut into my Budweiser budget.
Greg Lepage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 PM   #68
Winnebago Camper

I have only owned one, but compared to the Coachman MH I owned previously, everything about the Itasca Horizon is miles above in quality. That's not to say the Itasca is trouble free, but the abundance of information available from Winnebago makes service done by me much more feasible. No matter what kind you own, you best have some mechanical ability and understanding, or a huge wallet.
All that said, Winnebago would be the first manufacturer I would shop.

The comment on Bleakly was not the first I have heard about that dealer that mentioned property stolen while a coach was in for service. I personally know two owners who have had the same experience there.

2002 Itasca Horizon 32TD
Roadking52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:24 PM   #69
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by two-niner View Post
MaverickBBD: I and I'm sure many others would like to know who your dealer is?

The moderators want us to post the good and the bad. And you seem like a happy camper.

Kerry
Roy Robinson in Marysville, WA. They and Paulsbo RV in Kent are listed as being in the top 50 U.S. dealers (not just Winnie/Itasca) in the nation.

Dave, Darren and John in sales are good to work with. Ken and Amy the service writers are out of this world. I can even say that after turning my fridge on for the first time after having the recall work done and not being able to get it to work. But that is what I get for messing with something that wasn't broke. I know they will make it right and that is a good feeling.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:08 AM   #70
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
In a word "yes." We are on our 3rd Winnie which is a 2004 Adventurer on a Workhorse Chassis. Our first Winnie was a used 24' Minnie Winnie and the second was a '96 Minnie Winnie 31 footer. The first and second were on Ford Chassis with 460 engine.

This Winnie is a 33 footer and we love it, in fact we just got back from a 11,361 mile trip to AK with no problems. Yes when you buy a new coach you will have problems and the Winnebago dealer I went to was great as well as a few trips to the factory, try putting your house on six tires and drive it down the road, LOL. I purchased the coach at Lichtsinn in Forest City and it only had 35 miles on it so I broke it in the way I wanted too. The trips to the factory were while on designated trips and I didn't just go there; they are great at the factory.

We will not be purchasing another Rv as this will be our last RV and I intend to drive it a lot more.

Lastly go buy the Winnebago you like and enjoy this great land or ours as there is a lot to see.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #71
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom-NC View Post
Hi,
Lastly go buy the Winnebago you like and enjoy this great land or ours as there is a lot to see.

Thanks Tom, that's what we intend on doing, all of you folks have made the buying decision a lot easier to make

Thanks again Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #72
Winnebago Camper

We have owned ten motor homes and our last five have all been new Winnebagos. Cheiftain, Cheiftain, Vectra, Ultimate Advantage and currently an Itasca Horizon. Need I say more?
Ralph A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #73
Winnebago Owner

I owned an Itasca, then a Pace-Arrow, and now my second Itasca. Over 100,000 miles in 17 years. Much adventure, and many mechanical issues, but that comes with the program, right? I would always give W a look! Support is huge.

steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #74
Winnebago Camper

First motorhome was a 2000 Flair, not back to the dealer once in the time we owned it. Did not have 1 thing to fix or work on. Second was an Itasca Suncruiser 35U, loved the layout but the 2 electrical fires plus other problems, mainly trying to keep the roofline sealed from the time we bought it, caused us to look elsewhere. Still feel they make a good looking MH, but.....
RonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #75
Winnie-Wise

I think it has everything to do about the equipment, engine and chassis you are buying. If you get a Motorhome on a Freightliner chassis with air brakes, straight axel and a diesel engine, it will last a long time because of the proven components. Start getting a bit more exotic then so do the problems.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #76
Winnebago Master

Quote:
a bit more exotic
Not sure what that means ...my Winnebago is on a Spartan chassis with IFS which I consider to be a cut above Freightliner, though I have no real criticism of Freightliner. Don't know that I would consider Workhorse to be "exotic," but they have had plenty of misery with the brake problems. Perhaps you mean those mfg'ers who build their own proprietary chassis, in which case I would agree as there are not as many places who would know how to service/repair them (like the Monaco MHs with cracked trailing arms...)
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #77
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Not sure what that means ...my Winnebago is on a Spartan chassis with IFS which I consider to be a cut above Freightliner, though I have no real criticism of Freightliner. Don't know that I would consider Workhorse to be "exotic," but they have had plenty of misery with the brake problems. Perhaps you mean those mfg'ers who build their own proprietary chassis, in which case I would agree as there are not as many places who would know how to service/repair them (like the Monaco MHs with cracked trailing arms...)
Thats what I meant. I only picked Freightliner because they have been building over the road equipment for years and all of the components they use have been around for a while. It may not be the most refined but it has been well tested.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #78
Winnebago Camper

I will never buy another Winnebago product. I had a 2005 Horizon that did nothing but leak. Slide leaks compartment leaks. Some of the leaks were fixed under warranty but I spent a lot of money fixing leaks out of warranty. The fiberglass roof is just held on with sealant (on the edges). Do a search about all the problems that causes. The Freightliner chassis was the best part of the package.
Also spent money on the fuel filler because it took forever to fill. Freightliner picked up the tab for the labor but had to buy parts from Winnie.
ms911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #79
iRV2 Marketing

I would buy another Winnebago if I was looking for another new motorhome. Our 2003 38G Adventurer has been doing well over the years and I can't complain.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:48 PM   #80
Winnebago Watcher

We just bought a new one, a Journey 40U, trading an 08 Adventurer 35L. Since we started full-timing after we bought the Advent, we needed more space. We have yet to take it on a long trip (leaving Christmas) but so far we like it fine. Only minimal maintenance issues so far... we'll see what the road brings. The Journey even has the dreaded DEF. I'm looking for a local bulk vendor for DEF to get a better price.
Mudstream is offline   Reply With Quote