Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #81
Winnebago Owner

We are on the verge of trading our 07 Adventurer 33V for a new 40U too!

They dont have one we like on the lot, so we are ordering. But since our dealer sells Winnie AND Itasca, we are still debating which paintjob, leather, & countertops combination to get. There is no clear winner. We might have to flip a coin. Heads its a Journey, tails Meridian.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #82
Winnie-Wise

I'd buy another Winnebago or Itasca product.

One of the best things they do for customer support is providing a lot of technical documentation online at their website, all for no charge. How many manufacturers post plumbing and electrical manuals, specific to model year and floorplans, along with Parts and Accessories catalogs and Operator's Manuals? And, they offer 12 year's worth of Service Tips. You can even download brochures going back to 1969! Try getting that kind of information from Fleetwood.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #83
Winnebago Camper

We have had our Adventurer since 2003 and will keep it "till it falls apart" Just love it.
Ellen
adventurous2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #84
Winnebago Camper

I would buy another Winnebago or Itasca. Owned three motorhomes since 1978, all from Winnebago.

2010 GMC Terrain, Demco: Base plate, Excalibar II tow bar, and Sentry Deflector.
Don The Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM   #85
Winnebago Owner

Probably not! My first Winnebago was a 1974 travel trailer and my last was a 2004 Meridian. The Meridian rear cap is pulling away from the rest of the coach and forums like this has told me it is an assembly defect by placing the screws too close to the edge of the fiberglass cap. I have never seen this defect in Tiffan or Fleetwood coaches.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #86
Winnebago Owner

Just bought our fifth Winnebago and haven't even used it yet but I love reading this thread. Mostly good. A solid company and that goes for a lot. We tossed around several brands for months in our search but we feel good to be back in a Winnie. I'm going to look up the years we had before. This should be fun.

1772 Brave
Used Indian (year unknown)
1974 Indian (brand new)
Chieftan but don't know the year
75 Terry Trailer
Calista Class C year unknown
Shasta trailer
Apollo Class A (year unknown)
88 Starcraft Trailer
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #87
Winnebago Owner

Our 2005 Sightseer is our first Class A. We fell in love with the floor plan. We toured the factory and talked with a few of the people that work there. I interviewed service shops that worked on Winnebago and other types of RVs. Bottom line.. we bought the unit and have been just delighted ever since. Just before the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty expired, we went down to Forest City with a list of nuisance items to be fixed (door squeeked, etc). They were great. The technician assigned to us also pointed out several other items that needed attention and all were fixed at no charge to us. None... nada....zip.
Every now and then, I read in the forums about the big boy diesels, or the 42' long something, and start to drool... but I can't find a floorplan as good as our 29R. We just spend 6 weeks it it over the summer (one long trip out west, and a second long trip out east) and had a DELIGHTFUL time. All I had to do was lube and oil change. So, why consider anything else when you have is just right?
Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 PM   #88
Winnebago Owner

We're using the Winnie for the first time this weekend and we couldn't be happier. What a fine machine!
BarbRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:21 AM   #89
Winnebago Camper

I would say yes to this question as I bought a new 2010 Itasca Ellipse 40CD before the end of the year. We took it on our shakedown cruise and was afraid I would have similar issues to workmanship and failures of equipment that some of you have expressed. My list was less than a half page and we really did exercise every bit of the coach on the 14 day shakedown. Most items were minor and if it were not a new coach I would have handled myself (i.e. minor leak in bathromm faucet, loose board on hamper, loose rail on bump out). Most of my items were either infant mortality (i.e. led on antenna stowage system, keyless entry system, satellite + button not working). Since this is as much a house as a vehicle, the list was smaller than a typical walk through of a home. Glad I upgraded to a 40 ' coach and love the one and half baths.
maclonchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:16 AM   #90
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclonchas View Post
I would say yes to this question as I bought a new 2010 Itasca Ellipse 40CD before the end of the year. We took it on our shakedown cruise and was afraid I would have similar issues to workmanship and failures of equipment that some of you have expressed. My list was less than a half page and we really did exercise every bit of the coach on the 14 day shakedown. Most items were minor and if it were not a new coach I would have handled myself (i.e. minor leak in bathromm faucet, loose board on hamper, loose rail on bump out). Most of my items were either infant mortality (i.e. led on antenna stowage system, keyless entry system, satellite + button not working). Since this is as much a house as a vehicle, the list was smaller than a typical walk through of a home. Glad I upgraded to a 40 ' coach and love the one and half baths.
Glad to hear that, sure hope they continue building them that way cause that is the model we want to get next spring.

Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
Winnebago Camper

On my second Itasca. 1996 Suncruiser Gas, 2002 Horizon DP. Not sure what my next Itasca will be but It will be at least 5 yrs old and probally not over 36 feet.

So my answer is YES.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #92
Winnebago Camper

We are in our 3rd and any others will be Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes. We don't even think about another brand!
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #93
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
We are in our 3rd and any others will be Winnebago/Itasca motorhomes. We don't even think about another brand!
Even all the talk about screws on the rear cap in the wrong place and any other problems that folks report about Winnebagos are nothing compared to the major complaints that some of the other manufacturers have. Call me crazy but I would rather have a loose rear cap than a steering box causing the frame to flex or cracked trailing arms and lets not forget about bad brakes.
I did own a 93 Fleetwood Flair 32 ft Diesel Pusher on an Oshkosh chassis which we loved and had no problems with.
When it comes to Motorhomes, I pick the chassis and my wife picks the interior. That way we are both happy.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #94
Winnebago Owner

I am not going to mention brands but we are on our 4th Class A. Our first which was a DP was a great MH but no slides. We downsized with slides and have been very happy with each. The Itasca has been the best as far as problems go. Would I buy another, most likely, but I would also have to look at what is available for others.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #95
Winnebago Camper

Well, we haven't even been out yet in our new-to-us 2009 Outlook, but from all the crawling in and out of this thing in the last 2 months checking it out, it seems to be VERY solidly built. All the comments I've gotten from various people, including salesmen is that you can't go too wrong with a Winnebago. So, I'd say definitely YES!
Starfire5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #96
Winnebago Owner

We have a 2003 Sightseer 30B and have driven 25,000 miles in 5 years of mostly trouble free touring.We just ordered our first new motorhome a 35 J Sightseer so it is a big yes. Now if we could make time fly .The dealer said 6 to 8 weeks. I hope we have as good luck with the new one as the 2003. We bought in 3 years old and all the bugs where worked out.
ct78barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #97
Winnebago Owner

I special ordered my '03 in Dec of '02. All mechanical things have inherent issues, and Winnebago is not exempt. This has been my third motorhome, and the best for not leaving me stranded along the side of the road. I tend to get the itch to buy new stuff, but haven't with this motorhome as it has been the best I've owned.

We are getting ready to full time, and will start in this one. The wife would like a bath and a half, and I would like at least a 400hp DP. I have my eye on the Ellipse, and the Tiffin. People talk about Tiffin, and specifically Bob, and how good he is for service after the sales. I tend to agree from what I have heard. But Bob will not be there forever, and in fact left once only to come back and return to the helm because things didn't go as he had planned with the business. So, in my own mind, what happens when Bob leaves permanently? Only time will tell. With Winnebago, I personally don't know any one individual who makes the company great, more of a compilation.

Count me in for another Winnebago product.
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #98
Winnebago Camper

We would definitely purchased another Winnebago product. We have 2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD with 35,000 miles and we have enjoyed years of motor homing with minimal to minor problems. We moved from a trailer to a 5th wheel to our Ellipse. Anytime you drive your "home" on/down the road @ 55 MPH, you are going to have problems. So a major factor in your decision, IMHO, is what kind of maintenance support are you going to receive from the manufacturer. We made one trip to the factory about three years ago and were totally impressed and satisfied with the service. I am not certain about this but I believe HWH is the exclusive supplier to Winnebago for the hydraulic levelers/jacks and slide out mechanisms. In the years we have been "motor homing", everyone ... emphasis on everyone ... I have talked with about HWH have stated what a great company. We have also experienced the same.

I have contacted Winnebago tech support many times and have received excellent response and solutions to the small problems we have encountered.

I am certain that other manufacturer's have testimonials like this one but I do not believe you will be disappointed Winnebago.

Dave (and Cris) - RVer's since 1986
Dave and Cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 11:35 AM   #99
Winnebago Camper

My answer would be maybe. We have had our new Suncruiser 7 months now and I am still runing into little items going wrong. The dealer had the rig for over a month after our purchase working on fit and trim items that should have been handled on inspection at the factory. Also, serveral major items were broken and the wait for parts was two weeks.

As it will be a few years before we upgrade, I will look around then and see whats out there. One thing though, I will never purchase anything from the dealer we bought from ever again. I let Winnebago know my displeasure and never heard another thing from them nor the dealer.
Old 03-19-2011, 01:49 PM   #100
Winnebago Owner

Want to thank all that have replied even those that we're most likely to look elsewhwere, as I had said on these forums we usually only hear the bad and it can sure make a person 2nd guess, but when a large majority say they would by another it does ease those buyers nerves.

Thanks Trap
Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote