Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I am looking to move up to a class A and really like the Winnebago products. I have only heard one negative remark and that is the basement air is noisy and blows dust if you are sitting outside. Is this a problem and should it even be a factor when considering a Winnie. OH, is there a problem finding techs to work on the basement air?

Thanks,

JD
Old 07-23-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I am looking to move up to a class A and really like the Winnebago products. I have only heard one negative remark and that is the basement air is noisy and blows dust if you are sitting outside. Is this a problem and should it even be a factor when considering a Winnie. OH, is there a problem finding techs to work on the basement air?

Thanks,

JD
Old 07-23-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Yes, it is somewhat noisy - inside and out - but certainly no worse than roof air units.

As far as the dust - I've never noticed it. If it's a problem for you, you could always sprinkle the area under the AC with water to knock the dust down.

Service - no problem there, my dealer has fixed the only problem we've had with no drama.

Upsides: They make the unit look cleaner by not having the AC units on top. Also, they work just like residential central air / heat. The heat pump function is nice when you're plugged in to shore power - you don't use any propane, and they'll keep you comfortable until the outside temps fall below about 40.

Downside is they take up a basement bay.

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

I have always had roof mounted air. This is my 1st coach with basement air.
Noise-----is less, I dont have to turn the volumm of the tv up as I did with an overhead AC running about 3-4 feet from my head. far more effecient, this is the 1st coach I have had that actually cools right up to that hot front window.
I have never had dust blowing. The air comes down at the rear and I can see some tall grass move around some,but I think that story of dust is exaggerated.
Ican feel some running of the air when lying in bed. a small vibration. My wife says no problem and I agree. The heat pump add on is really nice.
After having had both my preference is for Basement air by a long shot.
Maintenance?? It just keeps on a running.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #5
doc
Winnebago Owner

I have to agree with Ron. We had a 2000 Horizon with basement A/C. The new coach has roof air. I have hearing problems and any ambient noise makes it extremely hard for me to hear what is being said. With the basement air we could sit in the LR and have a conversation. Now it is hard to hear what is being said. On the positives side of foor air, it is much easier to get it worked on than the basement. If the #1 compressor with the basement goes out, you are essentially w/o air as it must run before #2 kicks in. Not the case with roof.
All in all, we still liked the basement air much better.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

JD
I had to post a 2nd reply here. On maintenance I did not reply as I thought only in terms of breakdown maintenance.
So what I HAVE done in owner maintenance is air filter maintenance.
above air is not that hard. You remove the sponge like filter, wash it and replace it.
Certainly an easy task.
With basement air, I lift the bed up. Pull out a residential type air filter and slide a new one in. Actualy much less time than removing,cleaning the sponge filter on 2 above airs.
BUT- You have to drive to Home Depot or such to purchase the replacement filter for the basement air. I had to drive to 2 locations before I found the correct size. I bought 2.
Next time its a no brainer for me.
So In actual owner maintenance I would have to call it a draw, considering the fact that there is no running around time looking for a filter for the next owner maintenance.
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:28 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I've had both. Neither would be a deal breaker, one way or the other. But, I like the roof. In my humble opinion, it is quieter. I can zone the coach in terms of temp and noise by turning either unit on or off. Roof frees up a huge amount of basement area. And, with basement air, if it breaks, you are toast. With roof, I have a backup. I did like the heat pump function of the basement air.

Again, these are just opinions and it would not be the deciding factor to purchase/not purchase. Both are good.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

We love our basement air! Noise is minimal and owners of other rigs always complement the low noise level.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We are on our second Winnebago with basement AC after a couple 5ers with roof air. Basement works great, is much quieter that the roof airs (inside the coach and outside), no condensation runs down the outside of the coach and the filter change is a breeze (one cheap household type filter vs. a bunch of little 4" round sponge filters in each ceiling intake that you have to washout).

Finally, one more important item -- if you have more than one AC unit and are running on a 30 amp line, the Winnie with basement AC will allow both compressors to run while you will only run one roof air at a time. This difference was really driven home last year at a rally we were at in Idaho in 110 degree weather. We were very cool and comfortable while a friend in a very expensive triple roof air system cooked since he could only run 1 of the 3.

As far as maintenance goes -- other than changing filters, we have never had a problem.

2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
rv rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

We are very happy with our basement air/heat pump.

I agree with above comments on low noise level. The only times we notice dust is when running the generator and air while driving into an RV park with dusty dirt roads -- it will dust your toad in a hurry! When we enter such a park, the DW gets up and turns off the air. As for maintenance, I have had blower motors replaced. Finding a certified maintenance tech is as simple as checking on the RVP website for service locations. Those with "uf" listed under their contact info work on basement ac units. There are some techs who can service it but are not on the list, but I prefer to know for sure if I have the choice!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finally, one more important item -- if you have more than one AC unit and are running on a 30 amp line, the Winnie with basement AC will allow both compressors to run while you will only run one roof air at a time. This difference was really driven home last year at a rally we were at in Idaho in 110 degree weather. We were very cool and comfortable while a friend in a very expensive triple roof air system cooked since he could only run 1 of the 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our '08 Sightseer runs both on 30 amp. Now, you won't run microwave etc. And, they are as quiet as the basement...maybe they did some mods from past years. I do miss the heat pump function for mildly cool nights, BUT, I'd pick either, they are both good systems.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:09 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

i agree 100% with rctime basement air is the only way to go. i've had both
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:06 AM   #13

I believe that for the 2009 year models, Winnebago upped the capacity of the basement air. (not sure what the increase is)

Our 2006 model 36' with 3 slides is too much for the 24,000 BTU unit to keep up with on very hot days....

Our next unit will have ROOF airs....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:14 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:

Our '08 Sightseer runs both on 30 amp. Now, you won't run microwave etc. And, they are as quiet as the basement...maybe they did some mods from past years. I do miss the heat pump function for mildly cool nights, BUT, I'd pick either, they are both good systems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So will my 2004 Sightseer.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #15

The one thing we don't like about the basement air is if it has to be run during the night. It's quite a jolt to have it come on right under your bed ...actually, your head if you're on the right side. It always wakes me up when it kicks on.

Otherwise, it's great.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like it should not be a concern. One poster mentioned a 24,000BTU unit. Are there diferent size units for larger coaches? I now have two roof units on my 5th wheel. One is a 15.0 with heat pump, and I do like the heat pump, the other is a 13.5 and together they will chill you in high 90 degree temps.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

All of the other posters listed the more important aspects of basement air. I think I'll submit a lesser aspect for consideration, but something I enjoy all the same. We like to place our water shoes outside under the basement air to blow dry. The warm air coming down dries them in no time! Btw...We have a 37G Adventurer, and our basement air is pretty far away from the patio area; the blowing is no problem at all, neither for dust nor noise.

As for noise factor: In the rear of the coach (our bedroom), I'd estimate the basement air to be not quite, but almost, as loud as roof air. That's fine with us because we love to sleep with white noise. In the rest of the coach, however, it is really very quiet, much quieter than roof. We've had both roof and now basement, so we also can make a fair comparison.

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Our 2006 model 36' with 3 slides is too much for the 24,000 BTU unit to keep up with on very hot days.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then something about it may need repaired! (new filter, condenser cleaned, duct separation behind the rear cap perhaps?) --on our 2003 40' with two slides our unit does a great job even in temps above 100.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

The "One" thing I do like about the basement air is, like our home unit, the fan goes off when it reaches the set temperature. Yes, it will wake you up during the night when it comes on, quite noisy and vibration. Yes, it is extremely difficult to find someone who actually understands and knows these units to work on them when you have problems. I've been to Forest City twice and my unit still will not run more than a few minutes at a time when the outside temperature is around 72 or below, inside temperature is in upper 70's and thermostat is set at 70-72. Closest Winny dealer, 110 miles away, said they'd never had this problem so didn't know what to do.
Nice thing though, no water streaks running down the side of the coach, for whatever that's worth.
With two roof units you can run only one if you happen to be hooked up with low voltage.
Every thing has its give and takes.
Wagonmaster2
2004 Meridian 36G
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:09 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

The 2009 diesel's now have a new 27K btu basement units. The '09 gaser's still have 24K btu. I was in the new Journey 24Y and the Powerline showed 23/24 amps - same as the older units. While on the plant tour, I got a close up look at the new one sitting on a cart... seems they put in larger coils compared to mine (24K).