Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

We do a lot of boondocking along rivers and dust blowing under the a/c has been an occassional issue, but here's the answer: Get a plastic entry mat, like a 6x8, (we have one of those woven one's from CW), and lay it down directly under the a/c unit and on top of the loose dirt. It deflects the blowing air very nicely. No dust problem.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:18 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Belgique:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finally, one more important item -- if you have more than one AC unit and are running on a 30 amp line, the Winnie with basement AC will allow both compressors to run while you will only run one roof air at a time. This difference was really driven home last year at a rally we were at in Idaho in 110 degree weather. We were very cool and comfortable while a friend in a very expensive triple roof air system cooked since he could only run 1 of the 3. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Our '08 Sightseer runs both on 30 amp. Now, you won't run microwave etc. And, they are as quiet as the basement...maybe they did some mods from past years. I do miss the heat pump function for mildly cool nights, BUT, I'd pick either, they are both good systems. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Sightseer with two roof a/c's abd both will run at the same time; I belive there are electronics involved that have the units cycle at different intervals so as not to overload the available amperage. My model also has a heat pump when using 110v...

I've never had an RV with basement air but do like the 'clean roof' look. Of course, with all the vents, vents covers, caps, antennas, etc. up there, I guess the overall appearance isn't all that clean even with basement air.
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

We like ours now after the duct work was done 3 years ago.
Filtration is nice you can upgrade ( we use Merv 08 ) it keeps the air cleaner and longer then the roof airs, Oh No, boy I'm in trouble now! Had them both soooo..

As far as compressors kicking on and waking us up we set the Air/Fan to manual, so air circulates even with the compressors off, when a compressor comes on just one really.... it doesn't sound as bad during cycles. Wish we could leave the fan on when using the heatpump..But??
Just my .02's
Trek-Cyclist is offline   Reply With Quote