Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question About A Chassis

I'm still new to this RVing universe -- just bought our coach in September. I have a 31-foot 2004 Itasca Spirit with a Ford V-10 engine and a Ford E-450 emblem on the side. So I thought I have a Ford chassis.

Today, I was looking into buying hydraulic levelers and was told I'd have to pay an extra $200 above the cost of the system because, according to the manufacturer's email, "There is an additional $200.00 for the Sprinter due to the fact there are special brackets required for a proper installation."

So, first of all, what's a Sprinter? A kind of chassis?

And, second, how do I know if I have one?

Thanks for any assistance in clearing up my confusion.
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post
I'm still new to this RVing universe -- just bought our coach in September. I have a 31-foot 2004 Itasca Spirit with a Ford V-10 engine and a Ford E-450 emblem on the side. So I thought I have a Ford chassis.

Today, I was looking into buying hydraulic levelers and was told I'd have to pay an extra $200 above the cost of the system because, according to the manufacturer's email, "There is an additional $200.00 for the Sprinter due to the fact there are special brackets required for a proper installation."

The Sprinter chassis has been sold under the Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner and Volkswagen nameplates and I believe all their engines used in RVs are diesels.

If you have a V10 with the ford logo on the front grill and a E-450 label on the sides, you have a Ford. They are very different chassis.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:56 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

You can download the brochure (go to the specifications page) for your unit from Itasca's website:

Itasca Motorhomes - Brochure Archive

As StringFellow says, you have a Ford E-450 chassis which was standard for your unit. There was no other option offered for your unit and the Sprinter chassis was not offered for any Spirit that year. By the way, nice unit!
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Living The Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringFellow View Post
The Sprinter chassis has been sold under the Mercedes, Dodge, Freightliner and Volkswagen nameplates and I believe all their engines used in RVs are diesels.
Volkswagen? I don't think so. The Sprinter, which has always been made by Mercedes, has been badged as a Dodge and as a Freightliner, but only when Mercedes owned them. As soon as Mercedes unloaded Dodge, that nameplate disappeared from the Sprinter.

Winnebago, beginning with the 2006 model year, was the first manufacturer to build a motorhome on a Sprinter chassis (View and Navion Class C, then added ERA Class B). Now many manufacturers build on a Sprinter chassis. In 2008 for a short time, you could get a View or Navion with a gas engine ... 3.6 liter. Not popular, was quickly dropped. Winnebago now also builds a Class A on a Sprinter chassis, Via and Reyo.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeTheUSA View Post

Volkswagen? I don't think so. The Sprinter, which has always been made by Mercedes, has been badged as a Dodge and as a Freightliner, but only when Mercedes owned them. As soon as Mercedes unloaded Dodge, that nameplate disappeared from the Sprinter.

Winnebago, beginning with the 2006 model year, was the first manufacturer to build a motorhome on a Sprinter chassis (View and Navion Class C, then added ERA Class B). Now many manufacturers build on a Sprinter chassis. In 2008 for a short time, you could get a View or Navion with a gas engine ... 3.6 liter. Not popular, was quickly dropped. Winnebago now also builds a Class A on a Sprinter chassis, Via and Reyo.

VWs based on the Sprinter chassis do exist but in Europe. They are used for some of their commorcial vans, not RVs though. LT/Crafter is one example, rebadged Sprinter chassis with VW powertrain.
StringFellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 AM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAParrothead View Post

It sounds like whoever you went to does not know what their talking about. Take your motorhome to a reputable dealer who does.
Oregon Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:28 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks to all for clearing this up for me. After hearing from you all, I asked the rep to check the specs on my rig and, yep, I have a Ford chassis. So that's going to save me a few hundred bucks on the installation. Niiiice!
VAParrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis