Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

QD or HD?

Looking at them both very hard now, DW and I are leaning more towards the Winnie side and further away from the Anthem 44B. So HD or QD?
tmandoug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

All three are very nice , the qd has a roomy living kitchen , the hd has a very private bedroom but the living room is much smaller. Winnebagos are well built but imo entegras construction is at leasg equal factor in a 2 year warrenry... chose the floor plan you like best and a reliable dealer and you will be happy with any of the three
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 10:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

What is the HD and QD?

Which meets your Must Have list the best and which floor plan do you like the best. You should be able to negotiate a 25-30% discount off the MSRP. And don't be afraid to travel for the best price. We love our Itasca by Winnebago! Good luck!
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We were considering the Anthem 44B but it might make us RV poor,,,,,trying to avoid that.
Old 05-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmandoug1 View Post
We were considering the Anthem 44B but it might make us RV poor,,,,,trying to avoid that.
Don't be RV poor as you wanta have FUN too!!!

Please give us some details: Are you looking at new or used? Budget? What do you have now? How will be using it? FT or PT? How many people? ETC.
Old 06-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a Journey 42E, the mirror to the Tour 42QD. We think this is the best layout available. Also most of the newer Tours we have seen are the QD layout. While a similar layout to the Anthem, I find much more space both storage and living in the Winnebago. This not to say the Tour is better than the Anthem, I think the Anthem is better equipped than the Tour, especially the chassis.

I also compared the Entegra products (Aspire 42DEQ vs Journey 42E) and found the Aspire to be comparable or better in most aspects. Price was also an important issue and less spent on the coach meant more for using the coach. The difference in equipment would not lessen our enjoyment, but the difference in dollars would.

Good Luck
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Tour HD or QD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBoater View Post
I have a Journey 42E, the mirror to the Tour 42QD. We think this is the best layout available. Also most of the newer Tours we have seen are the QD layout.
Thank you for indicating what model this discussion was about . . . the Tour HD or QD. Some of us are not that well versed in MH floor plans without the Winnebago/Itasca models. Again, thanks!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:23 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

The DW and I are new to this so forgive my lack of attention to detail. We are partners in crime and will be going full time starting January of 2017,,,,,earlier if the house sells for the right price. We have whittled it down to the Entegra 44B and the Winnie/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42QD or 42 HD. Our budget is based on the sale of our main house, which should translate to 300k or less. New would be nice but used would be better on price and broken in and fixed. Can't wait!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
The DW and I are new to this so forgive my lack of attention to detail. We are partners in crime and will be going full time starting January of 2017,,,,,earlier if the house sells for the right price. We have whittled it down to the Entegra 44B and the Winnie/Itasca Tour/Ellipse 42QD or 42 HD. Our budget is based on the sale of our main house, which should translate to 300k or less. New would be nice but used would be better on price and broken in and fixed. Can't wait!
Welcome to a Fun Lifestyle! You'll get the hang of it real soon!

We have a 2015 Itasca Meridian 36M and we love it! There's just the two of us and we both are retired. We try to travel usually once a month. Itasca is built by Winnebago who IOHO builds a quality unit and are moderately priced. We are very pleased with the quality, features and our dealer's customer support.

Sounds like you may already done this but if not, we recommend you write down your list of "Must Haves" and "Nice to Have". These lists will help narrow your list of manufactures with floor plans that offer you your "Must Haves." Everyones "Must Haves" will be different. Our "Must Haves" were a 36' or less, full-wall slide, diesel, electric FP, table and chairs (not dinette booth), seating across from each other (not along the same wall) and W/D so that narrowed our list of manufactures and floor plans.

We decided on new because we could buy it for less than a used or previous year with a 28% discount from our dealer. You should be able to negotiate new MH from 25-30% discount off the MSRP and don't be affraid to fly/drive for the best price.

Good luck in your search and happy and safe travels.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

I have a 2012 Itasca Meridian 42E. It's comparable to the Ellipse but has less foo foo stuff. It's a great floor plan, a lot of room, plenty of storage in the basement and great for fulltiming. I looked at the Tours and the Ellipse and decided it just wasn't worth the extra money.
My opinion!
Old 06-01-2015, 06:27 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Be careful used price may be because it is used and broke (as aposed to broken in) and un fixable, along with no warranty left.(I traded one like that)
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Finhawk,

We started at the Meridian 42E but prefer the all electric.......
Old 06-02-2015, 04:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

2014 Tour QD...love it

We bought our new year old model closeout at LaMesa in Tucson after looking all down through CA dealers. Got a great deal and some issues were fixed before delivery. We waited a few weeks for it but service and repairs made it worthwhile.
We've brought it back to the east coast and so far have no outstanding issues. A crack in one cabinet is about it for the moment. We'll be stopping in Forest City, IA for a new one in Aug. The Winnebago service folks are great on the phone and it was easy to get the appt. Looking forward to seeing the factory tour and any other repairs needed in the next two months.
All the equipment works great, storage is better than I first thought and floor plan is outstanding. The l-shaped motorized sofa is amazing for relaxing and watching tv. Super quick and smooth to open and close end for travel. The sliding bed makes a great improvement for open floor space in the daytime. I'm not so crazy about the blow up mattress, I'd prefer a plain memory foam but I can live with this one. Kind of a pain to inflate and deflate daily.
The Ariston washer and dryer are the best I've used. We love this coach so far.
louisejewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:08 AM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Send a message via Skype™ to RW8804
Quote:
Originally Posted by fla tom View Post
Be careful used price may be because it is used and broke (as aposed to broken in) and un fixable, along with no warranty left.(I traded one like that)
On the flip side, we bought a used current year (at the time) Anthem with <5000 miles on it, and still had about 1.5 years of warranty left. We paid significantly less for it than a brand new Aspire. We have had no serious problems. We did the same thing with our previous coach.
RW8804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 10:07 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

And on the flip side of that, if you go to the entegra site (IRV2), the owners have so many threads listing their problems it makes you wonder.

Winnebago has tens of thousands of motorhomes on the road, entegra maybe 1800.

The Tour QD (2012) was our choice, nothing came close.
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

The HD floor plan rocks! We like that you can't see the bed from the lounge, we like that the refrigerator is not next to the bed, the 1/2 bath is the most generous we've seen (we looked at a new Newmar and the 1/2 bath was ridiculous), we love the long window on the passenger side (patio side), we love that the extended kitchen counter is permanent and that the main counter glides over it when the slide is retracted (some extended counters slide out and have a stupid finger catcher latch).

We LOVE the HD!
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

That's what it's all about... Get it the way you want it, hard to change after the ink dries.
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

We have decided to go with the HD, can't wait to start this Journey.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:17 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Yay!

Quote:
We have decided to go with the HD, can't wait to start this Journey.
Yay for your HD! So happy for you.

Please update on how you found it pre- and -post PDI. how was delivery? Toad? Where you going?

And PICs !
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

@PETERSON,

Hate to ask but how are the 2015 slides working on your rig?