Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2020, 09:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Purchase Question

Hi,
I am interested in purchasing a new 2020 Minnie Winnie 22R. I have a local dealer near me and wanted to know about the process of buying one. I assume
one negotiates like when buying a car. How much leeway can I expect to have? The dealer is telling me this is a great time to buy, because of the covid19 situation. I guess it's kind of slow there these days. I'm thinking I will buy in May. Not exactly sure when.

Any words of wisdom?

Thanks,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Yes you can negotiate like a car. What's a good deal right now I wouldn't know, but the MSRP means very little on RVs.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:47 PM   #3
Site Team

If you aren't in a super-big hurry to get it, I would factory-order it so you can get it on an E-450 Frame. At Roy Robinson in Marysville, Washington, the only 22R for sale is priced at $109,973. The only 22M for sale does have an advertised discount of <-$25,630>, so I would hope you might be able to get a similar discount on a 22R.
Please let us know how it goes.
Eagle5
Old 04-16-2020, 09:31 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Thank you Goodspike and Eagle-5 for your replies. The 22R has an F350 engine. Sounds fine to me. No slides.

I currently see a 2020 Minnie 22R for $59,995. near where I am residing.
The dealer says things are real quiet now. I was just wondering if there is any wiggle room at that price. I've been to that dealer in the past and $59,995 was what they were asking many months ago.
Old 04-16-2020, 09:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

If they were asking 59,995 months ago, I would certainly come in lower than that...and be ready to walk off the lot if they don't budge. We walked 3 times and almost made it to our car the last time. They came down...but we were buying a used Aspect. Good luck!

Al
Old 04-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #6
Site Team

A pint cannot hold a quart. I would guess the cost of a 22R is pretty close to $59,995. They have to make some profit to stay in business.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:21 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Thank you Goodspike and Eagle-5 for your replies. The 22R has an F350 engine. Sounds fine to me. No slides.

I currently see a 2020 Minnie 22R for $59,995. near where I am residing.
The dealer says things are real quiet now. I was just wondering if there is any wiggle room at that price. I've been to that dealer in the past and $59,995 was what they were asking many months ago.
Offer them less than that which you are actually willing to pay, and be ready to walk way. Make sure that you give them your contact info, they’ll call you soon enough...
Old 04-17-2020, 09:18 AM   #8
Site Team

Looking on RVTrader it seems the typical dealer discount price for these I’d around $64,000. So, $59k is pretty decent.

First be sure it’s not missing some standard features you want and that it’s new and never been sold previously. All the usual things. If everything checks out offer $55k or similar. You’ll find out quickly if they feel their pricing is firm. If they won’t budge tell them thanks and walk away. If they come after you then they might be ready to deal.

Be careful. They might deal but require financing with them or some other conditions.

Keep your wits about you, dealers can be tricky.
Old 04-17-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

Hi Francene,

I'm sure you've researched all the available options and have settled on your "Must Haves, Nice to Have, and Not interested" ones. Eagle-5 mentioned the E450 Chassis, and I totally agree. I had a 22M (recently moved to a 27PE) and the E450 is well worth it, especially if you choose to tow a boat or cargo trailer. The engine is the same in both E350 & E450 but the 450 chassis is much beefier and boosts all your weight capacities.
Another thing to consider is the molded front cap - eliminates a potential problem from water ingress.
One thing to give serious consideration to is the after sales service and warranty repairs. Some dealers are much more forthcoming and willing to work with you than others. Some of the big chains are notorious for promising you the World during the sale, but once you drive off the lot they want absolutely nothing to do to with you.
If you do buy new, try to have every one of the warranty issues dealt with before you take it off the lot - it's a lot easier for you to get all those niggly little items dealt with right away rather than having to book an appointment at a later date.

Take your time (I know easy to say) but there are lot's of the units out there (regardless of what a sales person will tell you).

Good luck

Lowdie24
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:08 PM   #10
Proud “No Intent” Owner

One more thing, get the vin# off of the unit you are actually going to buy, and call Winnebago to see if any recalls were fixed. They sold us ours with a recall for the AC evaporator and they never did the fix.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks to all of you who have offered words of advice.
I live out of state to where I'd be buying it from. So any warranty issues could be addressed at any Winnebago dealership in any state?
Old 04-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #12
2019 Winnebago Sunstar 27

In theory "Yes", but unfortunately the reality may be somewhat different. Most dealers will deal with their own customers who have purchased from them ahead of all others. While any authorized Winnebago dealer must look after your warranty issues they are not obligated to deal with you first. You may find that you will always be sent to the bottom of the list and will wait quite some time for any repairs or servicing.
Unfortunate but simply a fact of life. WBO acknowledges this problem but in reality there’s not really a lot they can do about it; until of course the dealership comes right out and refuses you service,which would never happen. You will get the work done but it may not be in a timely manner.
Lowdie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:45 AM   #13
Site Team

Hi Francene,
If the dealership from whom you didn't buy your motorhome is both a Gold Star Dealership and has an "A" rating with the Better Business Bureau, then you might be able to get warranty service from them.
Eagle5
Old 04-19-2020, 11:00 AM   #14
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Thanks to all of you who have offered words of advice.
I live out of state to where I'd be buying it from. So any warranty issues could be addressed at any Winnebago dealership in any state?
Yes, BUT, if you search this forum, you’ll find that while you can take your unit to any Winnebago authorized dealer, you’ll get at the back of the line. Dealers want to do anything BUT warranty work, as they don’t get as much money from Winnebago as they would a private individual.

I’ve heard that being without the rig for several months is not unusual, as it sits on their lot waiting for them to get around to it.

That’s why you at least want to drive it off of the lot, with nothing detectably already wrong.

See, just in the time I was writing my response, two others already chimed in...
Old 04-19-2020, 11:05 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Wyatt is correct in that you don't want to drive it off the lot until all issues are resolved. Dealers are very good at getting things taken care of BEFORE you sign on the dotted line. Ensure that you make a list of everything you notice and make sure you verify that they fixed/addressed it. Once you're off the lot, they are not as helpful. No kidding! We were less than 20 minutes off the lot and I couldn't get anyone to answer their phone when we had an issue driving home! I called for several days afterwards and no one would return my call...and that was from the dealer we purchased it from! Thank goodness my brother in law is a mechanic and helped me resolve the issue. Oh, the dealer did call back 4 weeks later! So, just ensure you make a list and they clear it before you take delivery.

Al
Old 04-19-2020, 11:09 AM   #16
Site Team

Francene... you're a first time buyer. It's tough out there. If there is a dealer closer to you that has the model in stock contact them and try to see if they'll match the price.

Truth is ALL warranty work is difficult to get everywhere. First, the service depts are understaffed. Second, they have too much work on their plate. Next, they make more doing non-warranty work than they do on warranty work. So, many dealers drag their feet on warranty work. Many will say it takes a month or two just to get an appointment. AND, then once they finally do start working they can take another month or more to finish the job. And, you have to hope they did fix the problem (just like an auto dealer's service dept).

I don't want to discourage you - but it really does help to have a realistic expectation.

The majority of us, whether we want to or not, learn how to fix the small stuff ourselves. Not because we can't get things fixed under warranty, but because it just takes far too long.

The good thing is the chassis - the Ford engine, transmissions, brakes etc is very reliable and generally needs nothing but oil changes.

The stuff that fails inside the RV is mostly all the parts supplied by other manufactures that Winnebago then puts inside the RV. Slides, Levelers, Fridge, Microwave, A/C and most is easily fixed or replaced.

It's best not to get stuck on one RV at one dealer because he's the one you've spoken to about a specific RV.
Old 04-19-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

Good advice, than you all.

Creativepart, I am handy and do most of my home repairs, so that probably won't be an issue.

I's reassuring the Ford engine, drive train, etc. are reliable.

And yes, don't get hung up on any one particular rig or dealer. There's lots of RV's out there.

Now, during covid19, just call ahead to find out if RV parks are open? Otherwise is Walmart allowing overnight parking these days? I've heard they have become sour on that option. I not them, then what other options are there? National Forest, BLM?

Thanks,
francene
Old 04-19-2020, 01:52 PM   #18
Site Team

Sounds good Francene. We see a different kind of experience all too often. Folks buy an RV on a whim one day out shopping. They pay too much, they get something that doesn't suit them all that much and worse, they think it's the same as buying a car.

They have an expectation that everything is made in the Winnebago factory and is all engineered by Winnebago and when something doesn't work that any dealer selling WBGO products will get them right in and get things fixed in a day or two at most.

They show up here MAD - HOPPING MAD - they're gonna sue and such. Many times the repairs that they list as reasons to sue somebody are really minor items, too.

How happy you'll be with your RV is proportional to the amount of research you do pre-sale, the questions you ask, the service you demand from the dealer and your understanding of what is a reasonable expectation with any RV.

Most of us are on our 2nd, 3rd, 5th RV over 10 or more years. So, we do our best to be realistic and to help those newer to RVing have a good experience.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

When buying a "new" to us RV (either dealer new, or used), we like to at least spend one night in the coach on or next to the dealer's lot. Perhaps a nearby campground...but at dealers is far better. That way you may find many "bugs' which were missed in the Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI).

Also video-(cell phone) all of the PDI, the instructions and ask lots of questions. That way you can go back and refresh what was said. RV's can be very complex animals.

Watch out--one time we bought a used Winnie...it was sold to us as "new"--used as a demo. This was over 35 years ago. Turned out the RV had been sold, returned under the "Lemon law" of the state. We had a number of very serious items which failed: brakes, throttle, Cruise control, water tank fell out on the freeway! That was within the first 4 months!
thataway4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 PM   #20
WinnieAdven38

While normally this is RV buying season - we are not in normal times. Don't think that either houses or RVs are selling very well right now - at least not with so many jobless.

In normal times you should expect to pay 70 - 75% of the MSRP for any new RV. If unit on the lot for a while the dealer may give better deal to move it. Keep in mind that as soon as you buy any new unit its value plummits at least 20% as soon as you drive it over the curb.

If this is your 1st RV purchase suggest you buy used instead. Not only will you shell out much less to start with, but if you don't like RVing, or the unit you bought, you can usually turn it over without much $$ loss. Many RV owners have found that they have to go through 2 or 3 rigs to finally get what they like.

Also, most slightly used RVs should have most of the bugs worked out of them - there are many horror stories of purchasers of new units waiting months to get problems fixed in their new RV. But that does depend on brand as well. Some brands like Winnebago, Newmar and Liesure Travel vans have a much better quality rep.

Also - when buying do not turn over final payment to dealer until your unit has been FULLY inspected and test driven, and ALL problems repaired. Its your right as a customer, but once you pay final amount and sign final papers all responsibilities revert to you.

Also - like in buying a car - beware of dealer add ons. Such as paint sealants, fabric treatments, etc. And be especially aware of extended warranties or service contracts. Is the extended warranty a dealer specific one - only good at that dealer? Who is the warranty sold buy - The Mfg, dealer or independent? What happens to these if your rig is stolen? Or totaled in an accident - do you get your $$ back??

Finally - so some research. There are several RVers on line who will give detailed advice on how to buy an RV.
HappiHenri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase