Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2020, 10:01 PM   #21
Winnebago Watcher

Purchase question

We have had 6 RV’s from pop up camper to current Winnebago Class A. Over the last 40 years. Bottom line, I would buy a 2 year old, one owner RV, well cared for and no accidents. Most of the problems have been dealt with and the original buyer ate the 20% depreciation. The Warranty is normally expired, I wouldn’t buy another. Start a specific savings account for repairs that will be needed. There are vast numbers of people that buy RV’s with no experience and find that they dislike the lifestyle. Also, many retirees buy their dream unit and have health (or dying) problems. You have to be willing to travel to get one and do your homework as to fair value. Also, I was fortunate to find a local RV repair business that charges about 70% of a dealership’s hourly rate. They don’t care where it was purchased. From my experience, I truly believe that you will benefit from this advice. Good luck no matter what you choose to do.
Greyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Winnebago purchae

Depending on your situation, if you wait for a few months, the new units will have the new Ford chassis with the 7.3 liter engine along with suspension upgrades. Once these come out the existing new and used units will depreciate even more. Personally, I don’t like the current Ford chassis for several reasons and there’s a lot of room for improvement. It’s not terrible by any means ; many aren’t bothered by the tight cabin, engine noise, and poor handling that many buyers upgrade through the aftermarket. On the other hand, fearing problems, many prefer to wait a couple of years when a new engine comes out. Looking at the current literature on this engine and talking to a Ford contact of mine, I don’t think this will be an issue. Good luck on your choice.
kenmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #23
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by francene View Post
Good advice, than you all.

Creativepart, I am handy and do most of my home repairs, so that probably won't be an issue.

I's reassuring the Ford engine, drive train, etc. are reliable.

And yes, don't get hung up on any one particular rig or dealer. There's lots of RV's out there.

Now, during covid19, just call ahead to find out if RV parks are open? Otherwise is Walmart allowing overnight parking these days? I've heard they have become sour on that option. I not them, then what other options are there? National Forest, BLM?

Thanks,
francene

In addition to what Creativepart has said, if you have a good relationship with the local dealer and research indicates they take good care of their customers, seriously consider spending a little more there as opposed to another dealer that may offer a better price but has poor or questionable customer service.

We're not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination, but we have done that on occasion and never regretted it. Its always good to patronize good local businesses whenever possible as long as it doesn't break the bank.
Old 04-23-2020, 03:56 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Offer 42% off MSRP and stay firm at 40% off.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase