Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #1
MinneJon22M

Propane Tank Fail

Just headed out on our first trip in the new 22M. Stopped for gas 4.5 hours from home and heard a loud hissing sound. Turns out the propane tank is leaking through the built in gauge. FD responded. Propane company. Had to park it in the middle of nowhere while we wait for tank to completely drain. Then head to shop tomorrow to see if they can fix it. Needless to say not happy at the moment.
MinnieJon22M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 03:34 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

wow, maybe not happy but I would put being safe ahead of that. Did anybody tell you how or why this might have happened.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:50 AM   #3
MinneJon22M

Not yet. When i get an answer I will post it.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #4
MinneJon22M

Propane Tank Fail

The shop in Umatilla was unable to fix the propane tank. We ended up driving the 300 miles back to Eugene and dropping the coach off at the dealer. They replaced the tank and we are going to salvage what we can of our vacation. The problem was the rubber gasket behind the built-in tank gauge. It had a crease in it from the factory. After 300 miles of driving through 90 degree heat in the Oregon high desert, it failed. Rare.

Also noticed the little Velcro flap on the exhaust fan port ripped off on the drive. Dealer replaced that as well but I do not have high hopes it will last. Any suggestions for an aftermarket replacement for the hood exhaust cover?
Old 06-30-2020, 10:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Much better ending than might have happened.

New one on me for sure.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 11:23 PM   #6
Site Team

OK, that is the last time we let you out on your own!
Next time, do NOT stir the tank!

Glad you are OK.
Eagle5

Old 07-05-2020, 09:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

With COVID19 currently on the rise in Oregon its probably a good thing to be safer at home now. Its not over yet and with folks starting to travel it appears to be getting much worse now even in remote places thought to have escaped the brunt of it. The area I live in was doing relatively well until people started traveling again and now its becoming like an out of control wild fire.

Glad the leak was noticed before a major incident occurred and that everyone is now safe.
Old 07-05-2020, 10:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
With COVID19 currently on the rise in Oregon its probably a good thing to be safer at home now.
In Washington it's now the east side of the state getting hit, and that's sort of where I'd like to have gone.

Although you never know. I went to a State Park on Puget Sound in early March and managed to pick a park where the camp host was later diagnosed with Covid-19. I had spoken with them too, but outside and probably at least 6 feet apart.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodspike View Post
In Washington it's now the east side of the state getting hit, and that's sort of where I'd like to have gone.

Although you never know. I went to a State Park on Puget Sound in early March and managed to pick a park where the camp host was later diagnosed with Covid-19. I had spoken with them too, but outside and probably at least 6 feet apart.
As people have started letting their guard down and have begun traveling about more remote areas are getting to become hotspots. Even Timbuktu has become impacted. All it takes is one carrier to infect an entire community who had let their guard down.

Now they are just beginning the realize the Aerosol method by which COVID-19 can be transmitted which just adds to the need to be limiting our travel and social interactions beyond what is absolutely required to live.

Glad to hear you escaped that one without being majorly impacted. I would still be concerned though the even though I did not become symptomatic that I could have gotten a silent asymptomatic case of it and still become a carrier.
Old 07-06-2020, 07:19 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Glad to hear you escaped that one without being majorly impacted. I would still be concerned though the even though I did not become symptomatic that I could have gotten a silent asymptomatic case of it and still become a carrier.
By the time the state alerted anyone (through the press, not through KNOWN email accounts) it was about 21 days out. I supposed an asymptomatic case could have still been active, but somewhat unlikely. I don't remember how much was known about asymptomatic cases back then.
Old 07-07-2020, 09:40 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Commiserate with LPG tank issue, when I purchased my 24M I noticed that the closest thing to the road was the LPG hose that left the tank fitting in the downward direction then looped upward. I found a specialty fittings shop on Main St.in Philomath OR who had a non-safety agency approved 90 degree adapter that solved the road clearance problem.

RE Covid - 1st time I've appreciated the Oregon "not allowed to pump your own fuel" law, I don't have to touch the fuel station pump or get out of the RV, just wipe down my bank card after attendant dispenses fuel.
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank