Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

In another discussion 'FLYTYER' posted the following:

Quote:
Posted June 16, 2006 04:36 PM
Having lived with the same headaches posted here, I called Winnebago today. They advised I do the following 2 steps....

1) Remove each probe, one at a time, clean with a wire brush and wipe clean, replace probe and check indicators, then do the next probe. I did this and still 2 lights were on but the grey water tank was very empty.

2) They then told me to remove the indicator panel and adjust the sensistivity setting such that the 1/3 light just blinks a little. I did this and lo it looks OK now.
I took out the screw which holds the wire on and attempted to pull out the probe. I stopped when it seemed I was about to tear the rubber lip off the probe. Has anyone been successful at removing the probe and if so how was it done without destroying the probe?

Oklahoma City, OK
Buddy & Jenna Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 05:15 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

In another discussion 'FLYTYER' posted the following:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Posted June 16, 2006 04:36 PM
Having lived with the same headaches posted here, I called Winnebago today. They advised I do the following 2 steps....

1) Remove each probe, one at a time, clean with a wire brush and wipe clean, replace probe and check indicators, then do the next probe. I did this and still 2 lights were on but the grey water tank was very empty.

2) They then told me to remove the indicator panel and adjust the sensistivity setting such that the 1/3 light just blinks a little. I did this and lo it looks OK now.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I took out the screw which holds the wire on and attempted to pull out the probe. I stopped when it seemed I was about to tear the rubber lip off the probe. Has anyone been successful at removing the probe and if so how was it done without destroying the probe?

Oklahoma City, OK
Old 06-22-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I tried removing the probes on my '88 SuperChief and was unsuccessful, for the same reasons as yours. The brass screw comes out, the wire comes off, but I felt if I pried on the rubber washer and probe, I'd get a non-repairable torn rubber gasket; -so I stopped.
The best resolution I've found is driving around for awhile with at least 1/2 tankful, and sloshing the contents with grease-cutting soap like Palmolive dishwashing soap. (I used 1/3 of a bottle).
Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Removal of my probes was without your concerns. First my probe screws are stainless steel. They seemed to unscrew from what looked like a rubber washer and nut combo enbedded in the tank wall. Upon removal I saw that there was a sealant on the threads that was rubbery, so I just cleaned the end area and tip of the screw.

I strongly suggest you call Winnebago customer service and ask. They are very willing to assist. They will send you diagrams, etc if you need them...very helpful folks !!

Anyway since doing this I have had what I call more accurate lights.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:54 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would suggest you purchase a new set of probes ($6.25 per set). Then disconnect the wire by removing the screw. Then take a razor blade and cut the rubber flange off the probe. This will allow the remainder of the old probe to fall into the tank (it will wash out the next time you clean the tank). Then insert the new probe. The reason the old probe is hard to remove is that when you tighten up on the probe screw it causes the rubber part of the probe to mushroom on the inside (this seals the hole from leaks). I find I can pull out the old rubber as it is tougher than you think, but I always have a few spare probes just in case.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Where did you get the new probes?

Oklahoma City, OK
Old 06-24-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Probes are available from Winnebago dealers, or in the factory service parts store.

2003 Ultimate Advantage
Ptribbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:39 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks

Oklahoma City, OK