Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNIEOWNERS COMMUNITY FORUMS > Winnebago General Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-06-2020, 12:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Poor satelite radio reception

On my new Adventurer 27N I get very poor satelite radio reception even out in the open away from buildings and trees. Any idea why? Does it come with an antenna for satelite? I assume but it makes me wonder.
dougb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
Site Team

The only time ours has problems is under solid coverings like tunnels, etc.

I’m not sure where the antenna is located. I’ve seen other posts where people have stated it’s under the dash near the window. But I don’t know if that’s the case for every install.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

This info is sometimes on the drawings and sometimes not if you want to give it a look, the drawings (along with tons of other info) are here:
https://www.winnebago.com/owners/own...s-and-diagrams
This is also the parts drawings and depending on year, it can give massive help in locating things but different years gives different amounts and types of info. but one has to start with knowing which year to look?
https://catalog3d.winnebagoind.com/menu/Parts.htm
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I see in another posting that you have a 2019, so on that unit, if you have feature code 70 D , you should have the sat antenna here as in the snip of the drawing. This view is from high in front looking down on the top and toward the rear, so slightly toward the driver's side from the other radio antenna. .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat annt.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	176115  
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

To trouble shoot requires removing the center section of the dash.

- could be a bad satellite receiver module

- could be sat antenna cable end connector that was not pushed into the sat rcvr module fully

- could be a damaged sat antenna (a square plastic block on the top fiberglass cap)

- could be a damaged sat antenna cable (got kinked or crushed)
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #6
Site Team

On my 2017 Adventure I have a small 1.5" square flat black antenna on the roof above the drivers seat. It's installed on the front cap. I wasn't sure that was for the SAT radio so I didn't mention it previously. But since others have chimed in that must be what it is.

It's surrounded by Manus Bond 75 sealant and has so much on it that it's a wonder it's not obscured. You might check yours and be sure they didn't block the antenna with sealant.

Here's a photo of mine, if that helps:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAT Radio Ant.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	176117  
Old 12-06-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Proud “No Intent” Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
On my 2017 Adventure I have a small 1.5" square flat black antenna on the roof above the drivers seat. It's installed on the front cap. I wasn't sure that was for the SAT radio so I didn't mention it previously. But since others have chimed in that must be what it is.

It's surrounded by Manus Bond 75 sealant and has so much on it that it's a wonder it's not obscured. You might check yours and be sure they didn't block the antenna with sealant.

Wow, that’s a low profile A/C unit you have...

So when I installed an aftermarket SiriusXM antenna, (that is what we’re talking about, or are we talking about a TV satellite?), the instructions said that it needed to be mounted to the metal frame of the car on the exterior, as the entire car then enhances the signal.

Since I have a fiberglass exterior, I mounted it under the top most portion of our dash cowl, kinda where Morich’s picture shows, and made sure it magnetically came into contact with the metal frame. To my surprise, it works perfectly inside the vehicle when stationary. When driving, as Creativepart mentioned, it can have moments where it drops out, but like in a tunnel, under an overpass, etc.
Old 12-06-2020, 09:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

OP here....these are great ideas. I will check the roof for that antenna above the drivers position. Could be anything and that is what the warranty is for. I will be going that route if I can't find an easy solution.
dougb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Where I live at latitude 38 degrees the hills that are only 100 feet in height will block the signal for XM Radio. It is evident that the few satellites in operation are too close to the equator to provide an effective signal coverage for the northern parts of the country. I got 90 days of free XM Radio service with my last two vehicles and the radio would cut out so much that I stopped using it altogether and we now rely on FM radio and music in MP3 files loaded on USB thumbdrives.

I can and have put thousands of hours of songs and music on a single $8 USB thumbdrive and enjoy a far better selection than from any number of radio stations. I have thumbrives of different colors with different collections so it is easy to change the genre while driving. The MP3 players in the vehicles also have a shuffle setting to mix it up. I also dislike having my subscription money going to fund right wing talk shows and religious zealots on radio and television broadcasts.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

i have the add on unit as its too expensive to try and have sat on each vehicle. Anyhow I have had drops in use and called sirius and they said it may be that the receiver needs to be re booted or whatever. seems to cure the problem and does not cost anything. I use the unit in 3 different vehicles and have bought the dock off ebay for each one. only need to remove the head unit and install, also have a dock unit for the wifes care which is not sat compatable. The black antenna for the unit I put up in middle of roof forward of the escape hatch and have no issues with reception other than what I said occasionally.
hank857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougb View Post
On my new Adventurer 27N I get very poor satelite radio reception even out in the open away from buildings and trees. Any idea why? Does it come with an antenna for satelite? I assume but it makes me wonder.
This won't answer your question but my SXM app on my iPhone 8 streams thru my 2020 Outlook stock radio in the dash just fine and in stereo with the phone in a cup holder. I do live in Florida and have only been as far north as Virginia so far.
harvestmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 06:07 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

On my previous RV, the satellite radio antenna had so much dicor around and on it that it couldn't get a decent signal. The dealer cut away the dicor, installed a new antenna, and then re-sealed the area making sure the antenna was clear. Worked fine after that.
Dave-Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 08:55 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

With my pickup truck and my SUV there are problems with XM reception and it is when there is a small hill on the south side of the road. If I was out on flat ground all the time the reception would be OK. This is not unusual as the same situation exists with the Dish satellites where dish needs to face south.
Elkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post

I believe the black part is for your GPS.

I have the same black part and I just had my Sat radio Antenna replaced and they found it in the forward cabinets above the driver behind the felt panel facing forward.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio