Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-01-2018, 06:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Picking up first RV, extended warranty? insurance? need advice

Picking up my first RV, (2019 Spirit 31G), this coming Saturday, so, i got a few people adviced that not to buy an extended warranty from the dealer, so where i can buy it? what coverages should I looking for?
Also, what's the best option for insurance?
thanks in advance.
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

We just bought a 2019 Outlook. Got insurance through winnebago rv insurance that actually runs through progressive.

We did not purchase an extended warranty but I am looking at plans through coachnet.
Heyheyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:37 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Congratulations, and welcome!

You are gonna get all sorts of advice on the warranty's. Buying new, I would pass if you are somewhat handy and BTW, your first year is already covered by WBGO. But it all depends on what the price is, and the deductible.

If you can set aside the amount of cash that the warranty costs and have it ready if you ever need it, you'll be self insured.

I bought used from La Mesa (Davis, CA) and "wrangled" a deal on a 5 year, no deductible, for about half of what Good Sam was gonna cost. We have used 40% of it so far and have 3 more years. I didn't have the cash to set aside and being used, I didn't know why the first owner traded it in, with just six months of use.
747Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

My dealer tried really hard to push the extended warranty but when you really get into the fine print and consider the deductible (which they don’t want you to have time to do)....It’s like 747 said, you’ve got coverage for a year anyway and if you could set the money aside that you would spend on the warranty and just use it for a maintenance fund, you’d PROBABLY be ahead. Some people say positive things about them but many don’t. It’s not for me.
Do a search on the internet regarding the carrier, see what actual customers say.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

There are many, many discussions on this forum and it's sister forum, IRV2 on this topic. When all is said and done, an extended warranty is an insurance policy that's priced to earn money for the issuer. You'll see many postings from those who comment that they "saved" much more money than the warranty cost but the truth is that you never hear from the countless warranty owners who never had a claim. Here's one such discussion:

http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f...ty-313675.html

If you're relatively handy, most "house" issues are fixable DIY. I'm not an expert, but I believe there extended warranty options available that only cover the chassis and drive train if you're so inclined in that direction.

Make sure you use your new RV as much as possible during your first year so as to ID all possible issues. Personally, I don't buy extended warranties on anything. A lot depends on your financial situation and whether or not you can come up with the cash for a repair.

As far as vehicle insurance, my MH is insured by Progressive through USAA and we had to use their towing coverage on our first trip in our new to us 2002 MH. So far I have no complaints.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:37 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

When I bought my last used RV I got a Good Sam Extended Warranty with plans to keep it for only a single year. My thought was that a used RV might well have some hidden problems that would show up in the first year and I wanted insurance for that, and could cancel after the first year.

We just bought a new RV and the dealer tried very, very hard to sell us an extended warranty. They wanted $8000 for a 6 year warranty with a $100 deductible, a cost that is simply unethical considering that the RV is fully warranted by Winnebago for the first year, the drive train is warranted by Ford for 5 years and many of the internal appliances are covered by the manufacturer for more than one year. Of course I told them no. Then they found that I was a veteran and thus qualified for a 30% discount. When I still told them no they told me they "discovered a coupon" good for an additional $1000, cutting the cost of the warranty in half. All of this shows that the warranty program is a big profit center for the RV dealer. That does not mean that it may not be worth while, but keep in mind that they are selling these to make money, not to keep you happy. When I looked at the warranty company's website and clicked the "Dealers" link I found a blurb that described how much selling these warranties would increase the dealer's profits. They may be worth buying, but that is what these really are.

If you do buy a warranty keep some things in mind. (1) They generally will only pay the list price for parts and (2) they generally have a maximum labor cost they will cover. (3) Make sure you get unlimited towing as you might break down in the middle of nowhere and towing is very expensive. This "great" plan from the dealer only covered towing for a short distance (I don't remember how far - perhaps 50 miles). And (4) make sure you can comfortably pay any deductible.

We broke down in a rural area and needed a new starter. There was a repair shop in town and they bought the starter from a regular NAPA store, but the cost was much higher than what the plan (Good Sam) would pay, so they (Good Sam) only paid what was their list price. Next the shop charged much higher labor rates than Good Sam would pay, so they only paid what their max was. After the deductible was subtracted they ended up paying something like $19 for a repair that cost almost $400. But, being fair, they also completely covered a much larger repair we needed later, saving me perhaps $1000 in repair costs, so it is a mixed bag.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 07:53 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I'm not too fond of the 5 year extended warranty. Or for that fact any extended warranty.
The biggest reason is you are paying for 5 years, but in reality a whole lot less.
The Chassic (Ford) that already has a 3 year 60K? coverage, the Winnebago 1 year warranty, some of the components also have their own warranties, usually 1 year, but some longer!
The biggest problem with any warranties with RV is how long it takes to get repaired. If purchasing, ask if every time you come in and there are repairs needed, the down time should be added to the end of warranty. I doubt they will. But then again, you may not need it at all! Knock on wood. You are spending a lot of $$$ hopefully within the 1st year you will find and get fixed all the kinks!
mikeannetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Picking up a NEW RV! There is a lot of truth in the saying: NEVER buy a new RV!
Only a rich fool would NOT buy an extended warranty package. In my case I was the fool. I bought new and did not purchase the extended warranty from Winn.Bago or dealer. That cost me over $10,000. after all warranty was used up. I have lost all respect for any quality coming out of Winnebago. And, the dealers simply do not care. Get the extended warranty or fatten your wallet. My story and list of problems would fill a room filled with paper and frustration. It took way over a year to get the problems repaired and a unit I could trust to drive.
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 06:58 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I bought my first MH in 2013. Always had Travel Trailers before that. It is a Winnebago Tour - a complex vehicle with many systems that was one year old (used) with 7k miles.

For the first time ever I purchased a five year extended warranty with it. Given I financed the purchase the cost of the warranty made little difference in the payment.

I have had a few things go wrong over the five years. I figure I came out about even with what I paid for the warranty.

The extended warranty expired last month.

Now that the MH is paid off I do not plan to purchase another extended warranty. The cheapest plan from Good Sam is about $200 per month with a $1k deductible. After you deal with everything that is excluded and the deductible I figure I would be better off banking the money. Also now that I have had the vehicle for a while and am pretty handy I figure I can do a lot of things myself.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

As stated, the ESP is an insurance policy. It's only good when you need it but if and when you do need it, it is very nice to have.

My 2008 was not affectionately named "Citrus," by DW wanting to be PC. The 10 years that I owned it I had the GS ESP. It paid for itself many times over.

I now have a 2015 that I bought used so no warranties by dealer/mfg. I continued my GS ESP. Yes, it is expensive and I may never use it. I do have peace of mind.

My insurance is through Progressive. Last year we lost the 2008 to Hurricane Harvey. My policy paid me what I paid for the MH and it gave me the down payment on our present one. Prior to that we were at a rally in Hot Springs, AR and larger than golf ball size hail put holes in the roof. Progressive never balked at paying $19,000 for all the hail damage.

I have peace of mind.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 AM   #11
Site Team

As you can tell this is a decision that everyone seems to face.

1. I would never buy an Extended Warranty from a RV Dealer. They are notorious for adding huge markups to the actual cost of the product.

2. You can contact Coach-Net directly, or Winnebago's rebranded Coach-Net, or Wholesale Warranties to get prices and options so you can make the decision

3. Many things on your WBGO are covered for the first year, the first two years or for 5 years as others have pointed out. There is no hurry to make your decision. The dealer will try to scare you into buying from them - at a hugely inflated price - and tell you it must be covered from day one or it's no good. That's just a scare tactic, tell them NO.

4. Always keep in mind that it's not a "warranty" and it's not "bumper to bumper". It's breakdown insurance and if a majority of policy holders broke even on the policy it would not be profitable and it would cease to exist as a product. That should tell you that the odds are that you will loose money on the purchase. Will you? Who knows.

5. One of the tricks that these Extended Warranty companies pull is that they make it difficult to get service and to get service paid for. They require pre-approval for everything and they take every opportunity to deny claims. The policy is also limited in what it will cover. So, it's not a guarantee that you'll be covered when something breaks. Even if they do agree to cover your break down they may not pay all of it or they may not agree to parts pricing, shipping, rush work charges, or even the hourly rate of the service place.

All of these things may be fine with you and you may wish to purchase the "warranty." But at least educate yourself BEFORE closing at the dealership and getting pressured into paying $8000 for a $3000 "warranty" that covers little of what might actually break on your RV.

Tags
advice